View Full Version : Who uses Mark as an action in combat

Aaron Underhand
2021-07-30, 01:28 AM
It is sitting there at the bottom of page 271 in the dmg

Looks like a substantial boost to rogues at the levels where their relative damage starts to tail off, and they also need their reaction to be able to stand in combat.

Never seen it used so I'm interested...

Chronos
2021-07-30, 08:02 AM
It's not an option for players to choose to do or not: If it were, then everyone would always choose to do it, because there's no downside. It's an optional rule that the DM can choose to use or not.

claypigeons
2021-07-30, 08:46 AM
I thought this was going to be a Cavalier question/thread, and wondered why you wouldn't use one of the main archetypal abilities of the subclass

CheddarChampion
2021-07-30, 09:40 AM
I have neither played in nor heard of any games that used the Marking rules.

(To build on what Chronos said) it seems to me like optional rules are, by default, not used.

Jerrykhor
2021-07-30, 01:43 PM
Tbh it sounds like a class or subclass ability, not something you think of that one could logically do (like Disarm). There's a certain gamist feel to it. Also, 'Mark' usually means 'kill priority no.1' to most people who have played any sort of MMO raiding.

Damon_Tor
2021-07-30, 02:25 PM
Tbh it sounds like a class or subclass ability, not something you think of that one could logically do (like Disarm). There's a certain gamist feel to it. Also, 'Mark' usually means 'kill priority no.1' to most people who have played any sort of MMO raiding.

The term comes from 4e, where the "mark" was the core defender mechanic, the thing that made all the "tank" classes "sticky". In most MMOs this would be called a "taunt".

NorthernPhoenix
2021-07-30, 02:56 PM
The term comes from 4e, where the "mark" was the core defender mechanic, the thing that made all the "tank" classes "sticky". In most MMOs this would be called a "taunt".

Taunt (or "Provoke") is a perfectly good non-gamist term, so i'm surprised that hasn't been used for the same kind of mechanic in DnD.

stoutstien
2021-07-31, 05:46 AM
I've made it into a feat option. It gives all AOs advantage and allows the user to shift attacks from their attack action over to additional AOs.