PDA

View Full Version : TV Who's next?

Altair_the_Vexed
2021-07-31, 02:32 AM
Jodie is leaving Doctor Who, and we're told she'll regenerate in 2022.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57940451

So simple question - who do you think should be the next Doctor? Of course, there's hardly any need to tell the Playground to keep it civil regarding the gender question -for me, it's now firmly established that the Doctor can be any gender they like.

Rynjin
2021-07-31, 03:00 AM
I don't think who's going to play the next Doctor is all that significant. The problem is we've had two incompetent showrunners in a row. The best actor in the world can't salvage the terrible scripts that have been plaguing the series for 5-6 seasons now.

Pex
2021-07-31, 05:00 AM
I'm guessing a British actor I personally never heard of before, but it's possible I've seen him in some movie or tv show. However, if it's Sam Claflin I'd be happy.

Edit: Tom Wisdom would be cool too. OMG, can you imagine if it was Tom Felton or Matthew Lewis?

Altair_the_Vexed
2021-07-31, 05:20 AM
I'm guessing a British actor I personally never heard of before, but it's possible I've seen him in some movie or tv show. However, if it's Sam Claflin I'd be happy.

Edit: Tom Wisdom would be cool too. OMG, can you imagine if it was Tom Felton or Matthew Lewis?
Ironically, I had to look all of those actors up.

jayem
2021-07-31, 09:45 AM
Jodie is leaving Doctor Who, and we're told she'll regenerate in 2022.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57940451

So simple question - who do you think should be the next Doctor? Of course, there's hardly any need to tell the Playground to keep it civil regarding the gender question -for me, it's now firmly established that the Doctor can be any gender they like.

It's a year and a half from now, so things will be different then.

They've got Jo Martin (and for that matter some others) established as being the Dr. It seems a shame to waste them, but there's only so long you can cash them in.
However that would be a complex story due to the timey whimey nature. The personality it seems is a lot more violent (though that can be worked through), and it would be hard to do that right, especially if the Mail is already agin you.

At some point it probably does need a proper rest, but not in the way it was done last time, but in a way where everyone's in control.
For now, I don't really have an idea.

Arutema
2021-07-31, 09:57 AM
I don't think who's going to play the next Doctor is all that significant. The problem is we've had two incompetent showrunners in a row. The best actor in the world can't salvage the terrible scripts that have been plaguing the series for 5-6 seasons now.

They you may be pleased to know Chibnall is also leaving as head writer. Speculate on who will replace him or who you'd like to replace him if you wish.

They've got Jo Martin (and for that matter some others) established as being the Dr. It seems a shame to waste them, but there's only so long you can cash them in.
However that would be a complex story due to the timey whimey nature. The personality it seems is a lot more violent (though that can be worked through), and it would be hard to do that right, especially if the Mail is already agin you.

Unless the next writer decides to just bury The Timeless Children, I suspect we'll see her back for a multi-Doctor special at some point.

Pex
2021-07-31, 03:10 PM
Ironically, I had to look all of those actors up.

Yeah, I'm surprised myself I even know that many British actors who are almost unknown in the Colonies. The latter two are from Harry Potter. Felton is likely known by name. Claflin might be remembered as Finnick Odair from Hunger Games. Wisdom I only remember because of his unusual to me name from Legion.

The Glyphstone
2021-07-31, 03:16 PM
Just watch it be Benedict Cumberbatch...

Sapphire Guard
2021-07-31, 03:26 PM
That seems like quite a short time in the role.

jayem
2021-07-31, 04:42 PM
That seems like quite a short time in the role.

Start to End, surprisingly it's actually only beaten by Tom Baker (it ain't 2022 yet). But you lose a year and a half to the pandemic (and at that point do you count Troughton as being till 1985!).

Episode wise, it's quite light, but not terrible count.
31 episodes (22 done + 6 in 2021 +3 in 2022). Whereas modern doctors are typically 40.

The episodes are a bit longer, so it's a bit closer by the minute.
And 13 is already beating 6,7,8+X,9 (although they are of course short)

Giggling Ghast
2021-07-31, 06:23 PM
Here’s another valid question who cares anymore? From what I’ve heard, the ratings are tanking.

To be clear, this isn’t a slight against Jodie, who was a good choice for the role. I’m just saying Doctor Who has lost its charm.

Pex
2021-07-31, 11:57 PM
Here’s another valid question who cares anymore? From what I’ve heard, the ratings are tanking.

To be clear, this isn’t a slight against Jodie, who was a good choice for the role. I’m just saying Doctor Who has lost its charm.

If one bothers to search online you can find various video reviews of why that is.

Just watch it be Benedict Cumberbatch...

I doubt he'd be willing to make the commitment now that he's transferred to movie star. "Sherlock" gave him international stardom. A tv series is a step back. However, I agree it would be a phenomenal thing if he did, and it definitely would bring back the ticked off fandom who have stopped watching the show.

The lost fandom can still return depending on who they get. At the very least the first new show will get the audience just to see where they're going with the new Doctor.

Androgeus
2021-08-01, 06:54 AM
I’m going to guess Kris Marshall, just to get in before all the tabloids start circulating his name for no reason.

Altair_the_Vexed
2021-08-01, 08:24 AM
Regarding people saying Doctor Who maybe shouldn't continue - that's extremely unlikely in the long term, regardless of how you might feel about any particular iteration of it.
I'm saying this as a non-fan. I loved Doctor Who as a kid, but as an adult it usually leaves me cold - but I can see its worth and its functional merits.

It's one of British TV's perennial institutions. The people making it today grew up with it. It's survived bad ratings before. It's been cancelled and been revived. It's one of the BBC's top 5 shows as a brand. The great advantage of the format is that they can bring in almost anything and anyone to inject interest, and then switch it around for the following story, and that fits in with the canon.

Giggling Ghast
2021-08-01, 10:35 AM
I’m suggesting it might be worth taking a break.

Androgeus
2021-08-01, 05:20 PM
If Doctor Who actually got cancelled, it wouldn't actually make a dent in the amount of new Doctor Who content I consume a month.