PDA

View Full Version : High level fighter dip for bladesinger

Aaedimus
2021-07-31, 05:26 PM
I'm at level 16 right now, and am mulling over taking a dip of echo knight at the end of the road (18, 19, 20) for a few reasons. Thematically it fits really well, but I just want to make sure I'm not going to regret the choice before making the dip.

S-8
D-16
C-16
I-22 (int book)
W-10
C-8

Feat-wise I've got resilient, shield training, fade away and haven't decided on my lvl 16 feat (thinking lucky for those crits)

I've got magic studded leather armor (+1 to AC, DC, and saving throws), a staff of power, and a gem of seeing.

Im switching from the UA school of invention to bladesinger soon, so I will be allowed to switch out shield training for another feat becauseit will become unusable with bladesong. Not sure about the new feat though...

Story wise, we're in a time loop, and the echo (and my simulacrums etc) would be my wizard tapping into and getting help from the echos of other looped timelines. It really fits and is thematic.

The echo and action surge give pretty crazy combo opportunities, especially when I use spells like shapechange or combo 2 high level spells on a turn, but it makes me super bursty, and resources like spell slots could become a big issue.

Do you think I'll regret the multiclass, or is it an ok tradeoff?

Eldariel
2021-07-31, 05:30 PM
Yes, it's good. Obviously, really. Action Surge good on casters, echo good in general. Nothing wrong with it. Losing out on Spell Mastery sucks; you can do a lot with it especially since a frontlining BS is probably interested in infinite Shields and Misty Steps and such (there's plenty of other options for it too, and you can switch it day-to-day). And losing out on the extra 6th and 7th level slots sucks, as well as the ability to recover a second 5th level one (a level 19 Wizard essentially has 5 level 5 spells per day). But you still have your 9s, so you'll be fine.

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-07-31, 05:38 PM
I'm at level 16 right now, and am mulling over taking a dip of echo knight at the end of the road (18, 19, 20) for a few reasons. Thematically it fits really well, but I just want to make sure I'm not going to regret the choice before making the dip.

S-8
D-16
C-16
I-22 (int book)
W-10
C-8

Feat-wise I've got resilient, shield training, fade away and haven't decided on my lvl 16 feat (thinking lucky for those crits)

I've got magic studded leather armor (+1 to AC, DC, and saving throws), a staff of power, and a gem of seeing.

Im switching from the UA school of invention to bladesinger soon, so I will be allowed to switch out shield training for another feat becauseit will become unusable with bladesong. Not sure about the new feat though...

Story wise, we're in a time loop, and the echo (and my simulacrums etc) would be my wizard tapping into and getting help from the echos of other looped timelines. It really fits and is thematic.

The echo and action surge give pretty crazy combo opportunities, especially when I use spells like shapechange or combo 2 high level spells on a turn, but it makes me super bursty, and resources like spell slots could become a big issue.

Do you think I'll regret the multiclass, or is it an ok tradeoff?

I think you will get a lot of versatility and more interesting choices in a typical round by adding the bonus options that Echo Knight provides. Seems like a decent trade off to me besides the 1 nova per short rest.

Gtdead
2021-08-01, 04:00 PM
If it fits your character concept it's always reasonable to go for it, especially if you have a good idea about how it's going to work. But (almost) permanent shield is a huge boon that it's not easily replicated. Especially by stacking shield and bladesong you can make your shapechange forms almost unkillable. 2 levels for action surge should be more than enough to help with the burst.

Spell mastery also significantly boosts your simulacrum's defenses since it doesn't cost spell slots.

Deathtongue
2021-08-02, 02:13 PM
Don't overlook the value of the 19th-level ASI. You can use it to grab Resilient: Constitution or Lucky or Tough or Alert. Or just use it to boost your Dexterity.

Metamagic Adept for Extend Spell and Subtle Spell is also really good as well. 2-hour Shapechanges/True Polymorphs and 16-hour Foresights are a game-changer, and the ability to sneak past a Counterspell is also very good.

Frankly, I'd just finish out with Bladesinger even though Blindfighting and Action Surge are nice prizes. The extra level 6 and 7 spell can be used for additional Contingencies, which can function as a pseudo-Action Surge (or even better, depending on the spell).