PDA

View Full Version : Dark One + Fenris= Gruumsh?

masamune1
2021-08-01, 05:41 AM
Been reading up on D&D gods a bit and while I was reading through Gruumsh, God of the Orcs, I just thought that he sounds a LOT like the two primary gods of the Goblins in OotS.

Like Fenris, Gruumsh created the Orcs to be short lived, militant and encouraged them to breed like rabbits.

Like The Dark One, he thought that the other gods screwed the Orcs out of the best territory (especially the Elves) and basically went to war with them over this (not that he was super-friendly before of course).

Just wondering if this is a coincidence or if Gruumsh was the inspiration for those two?

Precure
2021-08-01, 03:06 PM
I always see him as a sympathetic take on Maglubiyet.

t209
2021-08-01, 04:12 PM
Like The Dark One, he thought that the other gods screwed the Orcs out of the best territory (especially the Elves) and basically went to war with them over this (not that he was super-friendly before of course).
I think that was Forgotten Realms version (keep in mind that Elves are a bit of a jerk, even starting six catastrophic wars albeit due to Lolth's influence).
At least Obould's take, plus maybe trying to capitalize on "Orc PC" after Warcraft (either 3 or the cancelled Lord of The Clans, which was only in trailers but definitely may influence "Orcs portrayed as sympathetic" take).

hamishspence
2021-08-01, 04:15 PM
I think that was Forgotten Realms version (keep in mind that Elves are a bit of a jerk, even starting six catastrophic wars albeit due to Lolth's influence).

Malkizid the archdevil contributed somewhat to the sun elves's jerkishness.

Wildstag
2021-08-02, 10:37 AM

Per Races of the Wild (a book for 3.5 which has Oerth as default setting), specifically page 25 under the header "Elf History and Folklore" and more specifically the subheading "Mythic Origins"...

The Seldarine used their power to cover the barren lands of the world with lush forests, tall grasses, flowers of incredible beauty, and animals of every kind. Moradin, Yondalla, and Garl Glittergold allied with the Seldarine, claiming the mountains, plains, hills, and underground areas of the new world as their own. When Gruumsh, the evil god who later fathered the orc race, realized that there was no good portion of the world left for him, he grew black with rage.

It's a reimagining of Elven mythology to a large extent, but the stated myths do state it was the case that Gruumsh was left with scraps. It is an obnoxiously "elf-master-race"-esque section though.

P.S. In that light, TDO's story is vaguely reminiscent of Gruumsh's struggle for a home for his subjects.