PDA

View Full Version : An interesting use for Sword Shooter (Spheres of Might)

SangoProduction
2021-08-02, 07:22 AM
Sword Shooter
Prerequisites: Equipment sphere, base attack bonus +6.

You may treat lances, longswords, and spears as ammunition for longbows, shortbows, light crossbows, and heavy crossbows, being able to draw and load them as though they were ammunition (although they are not destroyed after hitting a target). Using these weapons as ammunition deals additional damage equal to the weapon’s damage die (this additional damage is not multiplied on a critical hit) and you take a -2 penalty on attack rolls made while using these weapons as ammunition. If you possess the Barroom sphere, you may use this talent with improvised weapons (you may not use an improvised weapon which would require more than one hand for you to wield). The penalty is doubled when making a full attack action while using these weapons as ammunition.

If you possess the Ceaseless Ammo talent, you may use it with the listed weapons, although the same limitations apply, and if you possess the Ranged Impale talent, you may use it with this talent.

Base line? Eh. Not sure why you'd use it. Seems slightly superfluous.

But I'm playing an Armorist right now (level 8), which means that I can bind 2 pieces of equipment, getting two pieces of equipment with +4 worth of enchantment, all in one attack.

Sure, I could summon arrows, but summoned equipment can only have up to +2 by level 8. So only one plus available for actual abilities. And one cannot bind ammunition. (Although bound ranged weapons come with infinite ammunition, they are not separately enhanced.)

This does seem rather notable. Not what I'm going for in my build, but that's an interesting thing to think about.

thethird
2021-08-02, 07:52 AM
It could be a way to get ammunition enchantments on those kind of weapons. A collector (the armorist archetype focused on throwing stuff) probably is happy about it.

SangoProduction
2021-08-02, 07:54 AM
It could be a way to get ammunition enchantments on those kind of weapons. A collector (the armorist archetype focused on throwing stuff) probably is happy about it.

What ammunition enchantments are you referencing? (Not being cute, I actually don't know of any that are specifically for ammo.)

thethird
2021-08-02, 08:27 AM
What ammunition enchantments are you referencing? (Not being cute, I actually don't know of any that are specifically for ammo.)

I play mostly 3.p that means I pull stuff from 3.5 top of my mind there is exit wound that lets your weapon keep going after hitting a target. For pathfinder there are less things that come to my mind, seeking for example is listed as an ammunition enhancement in the pfsrd (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-Weapons/#Table_Ammunition_Special_Abilities) even if the text appears to limit it to ranged weapons.

Also while we are talking about the collector note that a collector can claim 50 pieces of ammunition as a prize (their "equivalent" to summoned equipment).

SangoProduction
2021-08-02, 09:02 AM
Yeah, but summoned equipment have substantially lower enhancement modifiers. Which was the point of pointing out that 2 bound weapons can be used.

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-08-02, 02:01 PM
Hmm, I'm not entirely sure this would work, but you could get some mileage out of melee weapons that do something special on a hit, like a net or a pincer staff (from 3.5, which grapples on a successful hit).

SangoProduction
2021-08-02, 09:25 PM
Hmm, I'm not entirely sure this would work, but you could get some mileage out of melee weapons that do something special on a hit, like a net or a pincer staff (from 3.5, which grapples on a successful hit).

Unfortunately, a net would not work, as it is neither a longsword, nor a spear. Longsword is unfortunately a specific type of sword in D&D, but it's quite arguable that spear is a class of weapon. On that pincer staff probably does not fall into.

With that said, a Net Launcher is an exotic type of crossbow that was introduced in Spheres, which uses a net as ammunition. And net is also a weapon. So you can actually do this deal without this legendary talent. Although you do not innately deal any damage. It is arguable that you would deal the bonus enhancement damage if you succeed in hitting it at all with the net. But who knows. Never had literally anyone enhance a net and forced a ruling in all my decades of rpgs.

Kitsuneymg
2021-08-02, 09:31 PM
Unfortunately, a net would not work, as it is neither a longsword, nor a spear. Longsword is unfortunately a specific type of sword in D&D, but it's quite arguable that spear is a class of weapon. On that pincer staff probably does not fall into.

With that said, a Net Launcher is an exotic type of crossbow that was introduced in Spheres, which uses a net as ammunition. And net is also a weapon. So you can actually do this deal without this legendary talent. Although you do not innately deal any damage. It is arguable that you would deal the bonus enhancement damage if you succeed in hitting it at all with the net. But who knows. Never had literally anyone enhance a net and forced a ruling in all my decades of rpgs.

Sniper with a net?

And you’ve never had a ghost touch net? Those were pretty staple in our games that got to high enough level.

Rynjin
2021-08-02, 09:32 PM
If they're treated as ammo you may potentially be able to cast Named Bullet (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/n/named-bullet/) on them. I'd expect table variance, and it's ultra niche given that Spheres casting is likely to be the main paradigm, but a potential fun trick.

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-08-02, 11:38 PM

Wow, I somehow misread it as those being examples of melee weapons that could be fired, not as a restrictive list. So yeah, that curtails all the shenanigans I can think of that aren't already covered in "additional (melee) enhancement effects".

No, actually, I've got one more: does Pathfinder have the Splitting enhancement? 'Cause that would be a nifty way of duplicating your melee weapons. Got a plot critical longsword? Now you've got a lot more of them. Wish you had a second artifact spear for your friend? Have a few spares. Sick of paying for two weapons because you're a dual wielder? Not anymore!

Are there easier ways of doing this? Probably. But sometimes you just have to go for style.

SangoProduction
2021-08-02, 11:58 PM
Wow, I somehow misread it as those being examples of melee weapons that could be fired, not as a restrictive list. So yeah, that curtails all the shenanigans I can think of that aren't already covered in "additional (melee) enhancement effects".

No, actually, I've got one more: does Pathfinder have the Splitting enhancement? 'Cause that would be a nifty way of duplicating your melee weapons. Got a plot critical longsword? Now you've got a lot more of them. Wish you had a second artifact spear for your friend? Have a few spares. Sick of paying for two weapons because you're a dual wielder? Not anymore!

Are there easier ways of doing this? Probably. But sometimes you just have to go for style.

Lol.
"This one trick that DMs don't want you to know!"

Galacktic
2021-08-03, 12:38 AM
I've used this once! I used an oversized crossbow to fire lances with the Lancer sphere to literally impale people into the wall while I hit them with the nastiest (Snipe) talent I could. That's about it.

StSword
2021-08-03, 03:42 PM
Well if you have the barroom sphere you can use improvised weapons as ammo, and improvised weapons can emulate any weapon you can convince the DM they approximate.

Now by RAW that would be compatible with Shikigami style, but I imagine more than one DM might give you a look for suggesting it because I don't think it actually makes sense on the simulationist level.

"I'm using this bit of fallen pillar as a Gargantuan earthbreaker which I will fire with my bow."

vasilidor
2021-08-03, 04:20 PM
I am now imagining a paladin with a bag full of holy avengers going after a dragon with this.