PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying So, my character is now Zorro... How do I lean into this even more?

nickl_2000
2021-08-02, 09:23 AM
In the campaign we are playing my VHuman Urchin War Wizard 4/Arcane Trickster 4) appears to have become a Zorro like character (eat your heart out ZorroGames, if you are still around :smallbiggrin:). He managed to find a full set including

-Slick Leather Armor (advantage on checks to escape restrained and grapple)
-Amulet of Proof against Detection of Location
-Rapier +2
-Boots of Elvenkind
-Cloak of Elvenkind
-Glove of Swimming and Climbing

I also have Gloves of Thievery from a previous purchase.

Other important things from the character
Half-Prof: Investigation
Proficiency: Acrobatics, Deception, Insight, Perception, Performance, Thieves Tools
Expertise: Slight of Hand, Stealth

I recently dropped a lot of cash to buy out a Warehouse and hired a few non-skilled people to staff it to turn into an orphanage (before learning this) and this characters long term goal has always been helping out the poor and orphans.

So, aside from slashing initials into people as I fight them (although that will be awkward since the Zorro-like character in the module is named Black Jack). What should I be doing? I'm going to get WW 5, then go AT for the rest (likely level 17 max).

What should I expertise in?
What spells do I need to make sure I have to help out this persona?
Are there skills I should likely re-train?
How else can I Zorro it up without being annoying to my fellow players?
Any other magical items I should buy and look out for?

RogueJK
2021-08-02, 09:30 AM
What should I expertise in?
Acrobatics and Perception

What spells do I need to make sure I have to help out this persona?
These seem especially appropriate for a Zorro-like Wizard/Arcane Trickster: Fog Cloud and/or Darkness and/or Pyrotechnics, Disguise Self, Silent Image, Invisibility, Misty Step, Hypnotic Pattern, Haste, Major Image, Phantom Steed (ritual)

Normally I'd suggest Shadow Blade too, but with you already having a +2 Rapier, I'd just stick with that.

nickl_2000
2021-08-02, 09:35 AM
Oh I forgot to add that I also have Prof in Disguise Kit and Forgery Kit.

Typically this character when he attacks in melee uses Green Flame Blade, which the DM has said won't work with Shadowblade. So, I haven't been using it up until now.

Also, I took Skywrite specifically for the sake of the fun of it, and plan on using that one lots to insult the leadership I'm hunting down.

RogueJK
2021-08-02, 09:37 AM
Keep in mind that Prestidigitation allows you to leave a symbol or mark on a surface for up to an hour. That's a good way to leave a magical "calling card".

nickl_2000
2021-08-02, 09:40 AM
Keep in mind that Prestidigitation allows you to leave a symbol or mark on a surface for up to an hour. That's a good way to leave a magical "calling card".

Ohhh awesome idea! I've got Prestidigitation and already love it. I also could make an amazing calling card in flames with my Control Flames and Mold Earth cantrips as well.

Kvess
2021-08-02, 09:46 AM
You should absolutely carve your initials into defeated enemies. I can’t even believe this is a question. Don’t you want a recurring minor antagonist who tells anyone who will listen at taverns, while unbuttoning his shirt: “Yeah, I encountered the vigilante. He gave me THIS.”

One thing I would suggest is eventually look into training a protege or successor. Men may die but legends live on forever.

nickl_2000
2021-08-02, 09:52 AM
You should absolutely carve your initials into defeated enemies. I can’t even believe this is a question. Don’t you want a recurring minor antagonist who tells anyone who will listen at taverns, while unbuttoning his shirt: “Yeah, I encountered the vigilante. He gave me THIS.”

One thing I would suggest is eventually look into training a protege or successor. Men may die but legends live on forever.

So, in true Zorro form the mantle is being passed down to me and the name of the Vigilante is Black Jack (the initials of this are a little unfortunate in American slang).

Yes, yes I do want someone who hates me in this form. I will have to discuss this with the DM soon to set it up. It should be pretty easy in the city setting that we are in.

Since I'm starting an orphanage, that is the 100% perfect place to find and train myself a successor. There is even a secret underground section in it that I can get cleaned up/hallowed and turn into a training area. That is genius!

Also, would it be worth seeing if my DM will let me trade Performance Prof for Athletics Prof? It seems like Zorro should have both, so maybe the Skill Expert Feat?

Kvess
2021-08-02, 10:46 AM
So, in true Zorro form the mantle is being passed down to me and the name of the Vigilante is Black Jack (the initials of this are a little unfortunate in American slang).

I want to be crystal clear that this is the reason why you should absolutely, without question, carve your initials into minor antagonists. They monologue about how they despise you as onlookers in the tavern attempt to stifle laughter.

Extra points if your character plays it seriously and pretends not to notice the implications. “How exactly do you mean?” “I am not familiar with that term.” “Is it truly a common expression in Cormyr? How strange.”

GravityEmblem
2021-08-02, 10:51 AM
Or, have another sort of symbol. My personal image of Zorro is heavily colored by the homage on Backyardigans, who was a librarian that retrieved overdue books, and she used a check mark.

Thunderous Mojo
2021-08-02, 11:14 AM

"Children, let me tell you the story of the Great BJ...err....Zorro"🃏

You could invert the name, however, then you are playing the Legendary Vigilante named: Jack Black. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Black

If you say "Jack Black" three times in a row, in a rapid succession at a gaming table, their is a 1% chance you might summon the real Jack Black to your game.🃏That can be problematic,
(especially if you are low on beer).

nickl_2000
2021-08-02, 11:55 AM
Or, have another sort of symbol. My personal image of Zorro is heavily colored by the homage on Backyardigans, who was a librarian that retrieved overdue books, and she used a check mark.

I can't get away from Antonio Banderas Mask of Zorro. I was the perfect age when that came out for it to forever be seared in my mind.

I want to be crystal clear that this is the reason why you should absolutely, without question, carve your initials into minor antagonists. They monologue about how they despise you as onlookers in the tavern attempt to stifle laughter.

Extra points if your character plays it seriously and pretends not to notice the implications. “How exactly do you mean?” “I am not familiar with that term.” “Is it truly a common expression in Cormyr? How strange.”

This made me laugh way, way more than it should have. Which tells me that I should be doing it at my table.

Corvino
2021-08-02, 10:35 PM
Not a mechanical thing, but going for over-the-top heroic diction and a ridiculous accent never hurts. If you're a full on comic-book hero then lean into it. And as long as your party and DM are on cool with that.

*Stepping forward from the shadows, on a balcony high above the watchmen below*
"Were you looking *dramatic pause* for ME!?"

NB - "ridiculous accent" does not necessarily mean an Antonio Banderas impression. Anything that will leave your fellow players stifling a grin/outwardly groaning works.

NecessaryWeevil
2021-08-03, 05:33 PM
Ask your DM to include complex terrain in the combats: Chandeliers. Staircases. Doorways. Tables to be flipped over. Ropes. Cables. Bridges. Drapes and curtains. Torches and fireplaces. Proceed to make use of them all. Buckle ALL the swashes.
Also, maybe it's because I only saw the Disney versions, but as far as I know Zorro very, very rarely kills people. Use nonlethal damage. Ask your DM for help in not having your mercy come back to bite you regularly.

Cicciograna
2021-08-03, 09:58 PM
Zorro had a whip, also, IIRC.

Be Errolflynnesque. Pun. Quip. Be dashing and swashbuckling.