PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Planeswalker Gestalt Class

JNAProductions
2021-08-02, 12:42 PM
HIT POINTS, PROFICIENCIES, and EQUIPMENT
None-this class is for gestalt only, to be taken alongside another class.

Planeswalker

—Spell Slots per Spell Level—

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Perks
Cantrips
Spells
Known
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

1st
+2
Planeswalking
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

2nd
+2
Spellcasting
—
—
—
—
—

3rd
+2
Color, Perks
—
—
—
—

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement
—
—
—
—

5th
+3
—
—
—
—

6th
+3
Color Feature
—
—
—

7th
+3
—
—
—
—

8th
+3
—
—
—

9th
+4
—
—
—

10th
+4
Color Feature
—
—

11th
+4
—
—
—

12th
+4
—
—

13th
+5
—
—

14th
+5
Color Feature
—

15th
+5
—
—

16th
+5
—

17th
+6
—

18th
+6
—

19th
+6

20th
+6
Color Feature

Planeswalking
At level one, you gain three cantrips, one of which must be Planeswalk. In addition, whenever you would be reduced to 0 HP but not die outright, you may make a Charisma save, with a DC equal to the damage taken. On a success, you instantly cast Planeswalk to a random plane instead of taking the damage.

Planeswalk
Conjuration Cantrip

Casting Time: Ten minutes
Range: Self
Components: V or S
Duration: Instantaneous

You shift from one plane to another. You do not have any more than vague control over where you end up on the plane you move to. If several people cast this spell together, though, they will end up at the same place.

At Higher Levels
At fifth level, this spell's casting time is reduced to one minute.
At eleventh level, this spell's casting time is reduced to one action.
At seventeenth level, this spell may be cast as an action or bonus action.

Spellcasting
At level two, you gain proper spellcasting. Your casting stat is your choice of Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma; and once chosen, cannot be changed. You learn one spell when you gain spellcasting, and more spells as you level up as indicated on the table. You may learn spells from any list, and may learn spells of any level you can cast from any class, not just levels from your Planeswalker class.

Color
At level three, you gain a Color Identity from your choice of Blue, Red, Green, White, and Black. This grants you additional features at levels six, ten, fourteen, and twenty.

Perks
Also at level three, you gain two perks from the list below. You gain an additional perk at level five, and every two levels thereafter.

At levels four, eight, twelve, sixteen, and nineteen, you may increase any one ability score by two or any two ability scores by one. As usual, you may not raise a score above 20 in this manner.

Blue

Control
At level three, you can modify a d20 roll made by a creature you can see as a reaction by rolling a d4 and either adding or subtracting the result from the total result. You may do a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and regain the ability to do so after completing a short or long rest.

Counter
At level six, you can counter a spell as if casting Counterspell. You may do so once, and regain the ability to do so after completing a short or long rest. The Counterspell is cast from a slot equal to your proficiency bonus.

Negate
At level ten, when a d20 roll is made with advantage or disadvantage that you can see, you may choose to have the roll made normally as a reaction. You may do so a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and regain the ability to do so after completing a short or long rest.

Flight
At level fourteen, you are able to fly under your own power. You gain a fly speed equal to twice your land speed.

Omniscience
At level twenty, you may cast a single spell without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest.

Red

Aggression
At level three, you may use a bonus action to move your speed towards an enemy.

Haste
At level six, you add your proficiency bonus to your Initiative modifier.

Blast
At level ten, you may expend a spell slot as an action in raw damage. Choose a creature within 120' and make a spell attack roll against them. If you hit, you deal 3d6 points of damage per level of the slot expended. This damage cannot be resisted or ignored.

Inferno
At level fourteen, you may expend a spell slot as an action to deal a burst of damage. Select a point within 120', and all creatures within 10' of that point (except yourself) must make a Dexterity save. On a failure, they take 3d4 points of damage per level of the slot expended. On a success, they take half damage. This damage cannot be resisted or ignored.

Double Strike
At level twenty, you can use a reaction to gain an additional turn. You may do so once without any cost, and regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest. If you do so an additional time before completing a long rest, you immediately gain a level of exhaustion.

Green

Growth
At level three, you learn the Enlarge/Reduce spell. If you do not know it from another source, you may only use the Enlarge portion of the spell. You may cast it without spending a spell slot a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and regain the ability to do so upon completing a long rest. When you cast it in this manner, it does not require Concentration from you.

Resilience
At level six, you gain six additional HP. Whenever you gain another level in this class, you gain an additional HP.

Hexproof
At level ten, you gain resistance to damage from spells.

Overgrowth
At level fourteen, you regain HP equal to your proficiency modifier plus your spellcasting modifier at the start of each of your turns, provided you have at least one HP.

Flash
At level twenty, you may cast a spell that normally has a casting time of one action or bonus action as a reaction. You may do so once, and regain the ability to do so after completing a short or long rest.

White

Protection
At level three, you gain +1 to your AC.

Vigilance
At level six, you gain an additional reaction between each of your turns.

Lifelink
At level ten, whenever you deal damage, you gain THP equal to the damage dealt to any one creature. These THP last for one minute.

Uncanny Dodge
At level fourteen, you may use a reaction to halve damage against a single attack or other instance of damage.

Indestructible
At level twenty, you may use your action to become indestructible until the start of your next turn. You are immune to any harmful effects, damage, and anything else from a hostile source for the duration. You may do so once, and regain the ability to do so after completing a short or long rest.

Black

Terror
At level three, any attack you make may deal additional psychic damage equal to your proficiency bonus.

Sacrifice
At level six, you may deal additional damage on any attack by expending your own life force. When you would roll damage, you can expend a hit die and add your spellcasting modifier to the roll. Add the total result to the damage rolled.

Reanimate
At level ten, when you slay a creature, you may reanimate them under your control as a reaction. The creature gains THP equal to half their normal max HP, and loses one-tenth of their total THP or 5 THP at the end of each of their turns, whichever is greater. When their THP runs out, they crumple into dust. You may use this reaction once, and regain the ability to do so after completing a short or long rest.

Consumption
At level fourteen, whenever you kill a creature, you regain HP equal to its CR. Creatures with a CR less than 1 do not restore your HP.

True Fear
At level twenty, any creature who sees you attack, cast a spell, or otherwise perform an intimidating action must make a Wisdom save against your spell DC. On a failure, they are frightened of you until they cannot see you for at least one minute. They may repeat the save at the end of each of their turns, shaking off the frightened condition on a success.

Perks

Secondary Color
Requires 5th Level or Higher
You gain a second Color from this class. You gain the first feature upon taking this perk, the second feature three levels later, the third feature four levels after the second, the fourth feature four levels after the third, and do not gain the last feature.

Tertiary Color
Requires 7th Level or Higher and Secondary Color
You gain a third Color from this class. You gain the first feature upon taking this perk, the second feature three levels later, the third feature four levels after the second, and do not gain the fourth or final features.

Hardy
You gain one additional HP for each level in this class.

Resilient
You gain proficiency in one additional save.

Fast
Your speed increases by 5'.

Companion Plaeswalking
You may bring along a number of creatures when you cast Planeswalk equal to your proficiency bonus. They must be present for the entire duration of casting.

Additional Spell Slot, Lesser
Requires 5th Level or Higher
You gain an additional 1st level spell slot.

Additional Spell Slot
Requires 9th Level or Higher
You gain an additional 2nd level spell slot.

Additional Spell Slot, Greater
Requires 13th level or Higher
You gain an additional 3rd level spell slot.

Invigorating Casting
Whenever you cast a spell, you gain THP equal to the spell's level. These THP last for one minute.

Skilled
You gain proficiency in any one skill of your choice.

Expert
Requires Skilled
You gain Expertise in any one skill of your choice.

Master
Requires Expert
Choose a skill you have Expertise in. Whenever you roll a d20 for that skill, you may replace the result of the d20 roll with 4+Proficiency bonus.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-02, 03:03 PM
The Secondary Colour perk is strictly superior to any of the other perk options. Compare Secondary Colour (Green) to, say, Hardy. I know that Hardy should stack with Primary Colour (Green), but still. Offering most of the Colour benefits from a single perk is far stronger than the other options.

Especially compared to something like Fast or Skilled.

Is Blue's flight speed magical? It's implied but not specifically stated, and it's important; magical flight is always considered hovering, so you're immune to prone.

You'll probably want to specify that Red's Blast is a ranged spell attack. Does Red's Double Strike also refresh the reaction used?

JNAProductions
2021-08-02, 07:50 PM
The Secondary Colour perk is strictly superior to any of the other perk options. Compare Secondary Colour (Green) to, say, Hardy. I know that Hardy should stack with Primary Colour (Green), but still. Offering most of the Colour benefits from a single perk is far stronger than the other options.

Especially compared to something like Fast or Skilled.

Is Blue's flight speed magical? It's implied but not specifically stated, and it's important; magical flight is always considered hovering, so you're immune to prone.

You'll probably want to specify that Red's Blast is a ranged spell attack. Does Red's Double Strike also refresh the reaction used?

Yeah, but I don't want to stick to strictly mono-color and I DEFINITELY don't want to make subclasses for every color combo. Any ideas on how to balance it better?

Yes, Blue's flight is magical.

And yes, reaction gets refreshed.

Morphic tide
2021-08-02, 09:51 PM
Yeah, but I don't want to stick to strictly mono-color and I DEFINITELY don't want to make subclasses for every color combo. Any ideas on how to balance it better?
One option is to separate the subclass from being the Color directly and instead have one Color as part of the subclass, a second at 11th, a third as an option somewhere from 15-20, and IIRC there's Epic Boons for post-20 games to make more open options. This would necessitate the subclasses being more particular to the dramatically different magical traditions, and stripping back the Colors dramatically to maybe Mystic Discipline-like. Pact Magic would also be somewhat better for representing the routine but "bursty" magic seen in MtG.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-03, 08:27 AM

Yes, Blue's flight is magical.

And yes, reaction gets refreshed.

I mean, far as I see it, you've got two main options.

Option 1: nerf the heck out of the Second Colour perk, giving only a single feature each time that you take it. and tossing a level requirement on the second/third stages, kinda like how you did the Advanced Spellcasting. You've got 10 perks total, so as it currently stands you'd have enough to take four iterations for Second Colour, three for Third colour, and still have enough to flesh out your character with the last three.

Option 2: Reduce the number of perks available and buff the heck out of the non-colour options, giving them the same sort of scaling mechanic so they're not essentially useless in comparison. For example, make Fast give you +5 speed, then immunity to nonmagical difficult terrain, then all OAs have disadvantage, or something.

JNAProductions
2021-08-03, 09:42 AM
I mean, far as I see it, you've got two main options.

Option 1: nerf the heck out of the Second Colour perk, giving only a single feature each time that you take it. and tossing a level requirement on the second/third stages, kinda like how you did the Advanced Spellcasting. You've got 10 perks total, so as it currently stands you'd have enough to take four iterations for Second Colour, three for Third colour, and still have enough to flesh out your character with the last three.

Option 2: Reduce the number of perks available and buff the heck out of the non-colour options, giving them the same sort of scaling mechanic so they're not essentially useless in comparison. For example, make Fast give you +5 speed, then immunity to nonmagical difficult terrain, then all OAs have disadvantage, or something.

You can only take a Perk once.

But I might do the scaling bit with all of them, and reduce the numbers. I do have work soon, but it's definitely something I should work on.

Thank you! :)

Aleph Null
2022-11-01, 01:05 PM
Thread necro aside, I have one very slight nitpick here:

Flight should mention that it's a magical effect, unless that's not how it's intended to work. Also, if it's a permanent fly speed, you might want to rename it to Flying (like they keyword mechanic) since Flight is an enchantment which implies that it could be destroyed or exiled by removal (i.e. dispelled).

Other than that, I freaking love this idea.

Actually, come to think of it, I've kind of wanted to design an RPG set in the Magic universe for a while now...hmm.

Yakk
2022-11-01, 02:08 PM
Blue:

Control/Counter/Negate are too similar.

Swap Negate for a prophesy die. As a bonus action roll 1d20. You can then replace any roll made on your turn with that d20 roll.

For Flight, you could require you to Dash and you get to fly until the end of your next turn.

Red:

Agression is weaker than Control. I'd add "and make an attack", and limit it to prof uses/rest?

Haste is numbers, but not fun. How do we make it fun?

How about... you have advantage on initiative rolls, and can reroll each turn?

Inferno and Blast is a bit pedestrian. They are just spells. "You learn a spell" isn't a huge perk.

Double Strike, reactions have to be in response to something, and hvae to be clear they happen after it. Maybe strip the reaction cost entirely? I am not sure why it is there.

Resilance is a bit pedestrian. I get the idea, but we can do better.

What if we gave Green more HD to start? Like, you get 6d12 HD, and an additional HD each additional level. (These HD only add a nominal amount of HP).

I dunno if that makes the ability exiting or not.

Hexproof is one of those abilities that is insanely powerful if your DM uses spellcaster foes, and does nothing if your DM does not.

Green should get the ability to take an extra long rest honestly? Seems more on-subject than Flash.

White

Again, while static bonuses are powerful, they aren't exciting.

And white's protection shouldn't be self-only, thematically.

Like, as a reaction you can add your proficiency bonus to your AC or to a save. When you do so, allies other than you within 30' gain the same bonus until the end of your next turn.

Uncanny Dodge is already a rogue class feature. Don't double dip.

Black

Terror really boosts multi-tap builds and sucks for "big heavy" blow builds. I don't see Black being all about "tiny little attacks".

True Fear type abilities usually include a window of immunity on a successful save.

Secondary/Tet colours. These are a trap if taken after the first chance. I don't like that mechanic.

animorte
2022-11-01, 08:15 PM
One solid question, why specifically does this seem to be precisely limited to gestalt?

Also, before I go any further, I haven’t had time to read hardly any of this, but I’m kind of leaving a note for myself because I’ve enjoyed MtG somehow for nearly twice as long I’ve been familiar with D&D. Looking forward to giving this a proper run-through when I get some more time.