PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items for a level 4 Wizard, Druid, Sorcerer, and Cleric

Darkxarth
2007-11-14, 09:18 PM
I'm working on some D&D characters, and I've got pretty much everything worked out except for what kind of magic items we should get.

The characters are all level 4, so they start with 5400 gp, and a maximum of 2700 can be spent on one item.

I've already spent a chunk of the Wizard's change on some scrolls and a couple of wands, but I've got more than half left. As far as the others, I really don't know what to buy. Theoretically they should all get some scrolls, but I want them to be able to have some cool magic items too.

- This is not a one-shot, so item prices are normal
- I have the Arms and Equipment Guide, just not with me.
- I have the Magic Item Compendium, but I just recently got it and I haven't had a chance to go through it much yet.

There isn't a whole lot of money to spend, but I don't want to waste it on a bunch of one-shot scrolls and potions. If that's what they should have at this level, I guess I'll do that anyway.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

- DX

Forrestfire
2007-11-14, 09:30 PM
before you buy anything else, you should start with a Hewards Handy Haversack (a backpack that has a pocket that holds 80 cubic feet of stuff, and some smaller side pockets, it costs 2,000gp).

some other stuff to get is dust of dryness (geat for crossing liquid-filled pools or filling containers; my favorite use for it is to absorg 100 gallons of holy water, the shoot it at a demon or undead creature in a sling; I think it costs 100gp for each dose), a wand of lessor vigor (costs 750gp and grants fast healing 1 for 10 or so rounds; the spell is in complete divine), and tree feather tokens (350gp, I think, these are great if you are building something or need firewood or a place to sleep).

Jack_Simth
2007-11-14, 09:32 PM
The characters are all level 4, so they start with 5400 gp, and a maximum of 2700 can be spent on one item.

Without knowing more about the builds, at this level, stick with the basics:

Wizard: Cloak of Resistance +1 (1k), one Potion of Invisibility (300 - despite the fact that you can CAST IT YOURSELF) and a few potions of Cure Light Wounds (50 each, you want at least five for 250 gp), a Handy Haversack (2k), essentials (tent, rope, and so on - figure spending maybe 50 gp, here), spend the rest (1800 gp) on scrolls for the spellbook.

Druid: Cloak of Resistance +1 (1k), one Potion of Invisibility (300), a Wand of Cure Light Wounds (750 gp), a Handy Haversack (2k), a Dragonhide Breastplate (700 gp), either a heavy wooden shield and a one-handed weapon, or a two handed weapon, and basic essentials (tent, rope, and so on - figure spending maybe 50 gp, here). Any spare goes to scrolls of rarely-needed spells. Maybe a potion of Fly.

Sorcerer: Vest of Resistance +1 (1k), one Potion of Invisibility (300 - despite the fact that you can CAST IT YOURSELF) and a few potions of Cure Light Wounds (50 each, you want at least five for 250 gp), a Handy Haversack (2k), essentials (tent, rope, and so on - figure spending maybe 50 gp, here), spend the rest (1800 gp) on scrolls for little-needed spells - unless you're in the same party as the Wizard, in which case, grab a good Wand or two instead of scrolls.

Cleric: Cloak of Resistance +1 (1k), one Potion of Invisibility (300), a Wand of Cure Light Wounds (750 gp), a Handy Haversack (2k), Fullplate (1,650 gp), either a heavy shield and a one-handed weapon, or a two handed weapon, and basic essentials (tent, rope, and so on - figure spending maybe 50 gp, here). Any spares go to scrolls of rarely-needed spells. Maybe a potion of Fly.

KillianHawkeye
2007-11-14, 10:17 PM
A good place to start with the Magic Item Compendium is on page 235 where the "Magic Items by Price" tables begin. There are tables for each type or body slot, and the cheapest items are at the beginning of each table. Each one has the price and a page reference ("M25" referring to MIC page 25 and "D240" referring to DMG page 240, for example) as well as a brief description.

Darkxarth
2007-11-14, 11:40 PM
Thanks to all three of you, I always forget about Heward's Handy Haversack.

I knew there had to be an item by price table somewhere, I just hadn't found it yet.

That's a very practical use of Tree Tokens, I always just hear about them being use in cheesy ways. Or to enable Druids to use some of their tree-magic.

Like I said, thanks to all three of you, I think I'm better set to make some informed decisions. :smallsmile:

Shishnarfne
2007-11-15, 08:18 AM
I'll just add that a Healing Belt or three (MIC), won't hurt...

Edit: Wait, two healers, probably a "luxury" item for this campaign. All I can add is to consider some barding for the animal companion (tank).

daggaz
2007-11-15, 09:20 AM
Your cleric and druid will probably want a pearl of power (1), too. At low levels, every extra spellslot counts.

Keld Denar
2007-11-15, 09:47 AM
Your cleric and druid will probably want a pearl of power (1), too. At low levels, every extra spellslot counts.

I'll 2nd the PoP1. I'd even go so far as to say 2 would be worth while. Using it in conjunction with lessor vigor from either the cleric or the druid gets a lot of out-of-combat healing for very little price.

You seldom go wrong with a +2 caster stat item. This ups your save DCs by 1, and can sometimes grant you an extra spell/day. At 4000g, that kind of goes over your single item cost limit though.

For the cleric: Ephod of Authority (MIC). 800ish gold to increase your turning level by 1. Vest Slot (kind of a vital slot for clerics though, since you probably want a cloak of charisma, and vest and cloak or the only 2 places you can get +resistance items, other than Ioun Stones) Still very good if you think there will be undead, VERY good if you have the sun domain (you can blow up undead that would normally be out of your turning ability, and would be a tough fight (single wraith would be a challenge for a 4th level party, goes pop if you can hit TL 7 or so).

Wonderous Pigments are a really wonderful utility item. If you have enough imagination, you can really abuse the hell out of these. Need a ladder? Draw one. You might even con your DM to go so far as to draw a tunnel on a wall and walk through it (ala Road Runner/Wiley Coyote).

Good Luck and Good Gaming!