PDA

View Full Version : monster list

Hilary
2021-08-03, 10:31 PM
I am looking for an online list of all 5e monsters.

The ones I have found so far list 'abjurer' and 'adult black dragon' in the 'A's. This is stupid.

It should be, Wizard (Abjurer) and Dragon, Black (Adult).

Has anyone see a list organized thusly?

Foolwise
2021-08-03, 11:09 PM
Monster Manual groups all similar type monsters together. It does not list them as you wish, however. The contents page at the front only lists each group and the index in the back lists each monster in the manner you detest. I assume the same goes for MToF and VGtM, but I have not read them.

Unoriginal
2021-08-04, 08:19 AM
The ones I have found so far list 'abjurer' and 'adult black dragon' in the 'A's. This is stupid.

And why "should" it be that?

Monster lists tend to use the statblock's name. And there are no monster called "Wizard" in the whole game

quindraco
2021-08-04, 08:48 AM

5e tools bestiary has a typable search filter that searches into the monster name, so if you search for "dragon", you'll get every monster with dragon in the name, same with "black dragon", so you don't need to worry about age categories messing you up.

Searching for all wizards is trickier, because Abjurers aren't named wizards - there's no way to search a list of monster names using the term "wizard" and find monsters that don't have that in the name. If you click on the "filter" button next to the typable filter, you can apply other filters. One of them is demanding the list of monsters that have wizard spellcasting, which I assume is what you mean if you want a list of wizards.

quindraco
2021-08-04, 09:01 AM
And why "should" it be that?

Monster lists tend to use the statblock's name. And there are no monster called "Wizard" in the whole game

There are five monsters I can find with that name, but excluding module-specific ones, only one - Volo's has an "apprentice wizard". One of the adventure ones is just an apprentice wizard with a race applied (it's a dwarf) and the name changed in such a way that wizard is still in it.

The apprentice wizard is also the lowest CR non-module monster with wizard spellcasting, apparently, tied with the booyahg caster (also from volo's) - both are CR 1/4. The highest one - ignoring setting-specific named wizards - is an illithilich from volo's (CR 22), just above a lich from the mm (CR 21). The lowest CR wizards in the MM are CR 4: the flameskull, the bone naga, and sea hags when members of a coven.

arnin77
2021-08-06, 12:26 AM
If you don’t like the multiple lists you’ve already found, just take those and make your own. Then you’ll have what you’re looking for.

kazaryu
2021-08-06, 12:50 AM

if you search '5e monsters' in google. and look for the link to a website called 'donjon' you get a pretty neat webapp. there are several things you can filter for like creature type, size, alignment, CR. you can also set it to list the creatures in ascending/descending order based on these things. its super useful.

biggest downside is that while it lists all the names, it only has stats for creatures that were in the SRD/basic rules. so for a lot of the creatures you'll need to look up the statblock manually (for example on 5etools). but i use it alot if i just need a versatile list.

Unoriginal
2021-08-06, 06:38 AM
There are five monsters I can find with that name, but excluding module-specific ones, only one - Volo's has an "apprentice wizard". One of the adventure ones is just an apprentice wizard with a race applied (it's a dwarf) and the name changed in such a way that wizard is still in it.

The apprentice wizard is also the lowest CR non-module monster with wizard spellcasting, apparently, tied with the booyahg caster (also from volo's) - both are CR 1/4. The highest one - ignoring setting-specific named wizards - is an illithilich from volo's (CR 22), just above a lich from the mm (CR 21). The lowest CR wizards in the MM are CR 4: the flameskull, the bone naga, and sea hags when members of a coven.

What I'm saying is that "Apprentice Wizard" isn't the same as "Wizard", for listing purpose. The Volo's put said NPC under the letter A, not under "Wizard (Apprentice)".