PDA

View Full Version : Which con modifier does the heal from Polymorph use?

Dominion
2021-08-04, 08:12 AM
I heal upon morphing as if I had had a long rest.

Do I gain lvl+char con or lvl+target con?

Example: My con modifier is 0 and I am lvl10. I want to polymorph into a Hydra which has con +5. Do I gain 10hp or 15?

Thanks in advance :)

ciopo
2021-08-04, 08:17 AM
the healing on long rest is 1/HD, not 1/HD+CONMOD, as far as I remember, so if you have 10 HD, you would heal 10.

At most, I can see an argument that you would heal 1/HD of the target form, but that is likely going to be less than your own HD, so I odn't see why you would want to do that.

Dominion
2021-08-04, 08:18 AM
Ohh alright, thank you :)

Beni-Kujaku
2021-08-04, 10:08 AM
On a kinda related note, what happens if you polymorph while you are raging? Is the duration of the rage calculated when you start raging, or is it modified if you increase your Con in the middle?

Rijan_Sai
2021-08-04, 02:39 PM
On a kinda related note, what happens if you polymorph while you are raging? Is the duration of the rage calculated when you start raging, or is it modified if you increase your Con in the middle?

While not "official" in any way, I would probably rule that you would get the duration of the new CON-rounds already spent. (Using the example numbers from above: +0 base, +5 modified - Rage is CON+3 rounds, so the Barb would have a base of 3 rounds. If he were polymorphed after his second round, he would then have 5+3-2, or 6 rounds remaining.)

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-08-04, 05:37 PM
This question is still applicable to polymorph/metamorphosis and the Rapid Metabolism feat in the XPH:

You naturally heal a number of hit points per day equal to the standard healing rate + double your Constitution bonus. You heal even if you do not rest. This healing replaces your normal natural healing. If you are tended successfully by someone with the Heal skill, you instead regain double the normal amount of hit points + double your Constitution bonus.

Arkhios
2021-08-05, 03:14 AM
the healing on long rest is 1/HD, not 1/HD+CONMOD, as far as I remember, so if you have 10 HD, you would heal 10.

At most, I can see an argument that you would heal 1/HD of the target form, but that is likely going to be less than your own HD, so I odn't see why you would want to do that.

The rules say that, while polymorphed, you keep your own hit points regardless of the target form's constitution score, so that kinda does imply you also keep your own hit dice. However, everything else is keyed off of your target form's scores whenever relevant, such as saving throw modifiers, skill checks, etc. Since your hit points aren't modified by polymorphing it would seem plausible to assume that the healing due to polymorph relies on your own con rather than the target form's con.

Dominion
2021-08-05, 04:43 AM
The rules say that, while polymorphed, you keep your own hit points regardless of the target form's constitution score, so that kinda does imply you also keep your own hit dice.
I thought you gained the max HP of the target form. I checked again and you are right.

A creature in an assumed form retains its hit points, base save bonuses, and base attack bonus.

However, everything else is keyed off of your target form's scores whenever relevant, such as saving throw modifiers, skill checks, etc.

That's not correct. You keep your mind and its relevant bonis/scores

A creature in an assumed form loses its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution) and gains the physical ability scores of its new form. It retains the mental ability scores (Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma) of its original form.

Source for both:
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060509a

Arkhios
2021-08-05, 04:54 AM
That's not correct. You keep your mind and its relevant bonis/scores.

A creature in an assumed form loses its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution) and gains the physical ability scores of its new form. It retains the mental ability scores (Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma) of its original form.

Ahem, yes, I kinda forgot to mention that half. You do indeed keep your mental scores. But the rest that I did mention stands true.