PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian: Path of the Wardancer (PEACH)

Catullus64
2021-08-04, 01:35 PM
Don't particularly know what I'll do with this subclass, but it combines a couple interests of mine: Dex-based Barbarians, attack modes with different advantages and disadvantages, Barbarians without explicit magical elements, and Warhammer Fantasy (from which this borrows heavily). Let me know what you think, good and bad.

Path of the Wardancer

Warriors of all cultures are accustomed to march and fight in time with the flute and drum. For the mightiest warriors, the song and dance of war beats on endlessly in their hearts, and they find themselves treading the steps of the Wardancer. These wild-hearted fighters exult in battle, longing to display beauty and grace in the heart of bloody war; like leaves on the wind they drift amidst tempests of iron and death. The exuberance with which they kill leads more sober-minded warriors to regard them as blood-crazed, and in truth there is more than a little of the devilish in their balletic approach to combat. But in the heart of the Wardancer, blood and violence are never the real joy, but the immortal beauty of life and death captured in the dance of swords.

Trickster's Grace. When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, your ferocity becomes tempered with agility, as though inspired by some trickster god. While raging, you have advantage on Dexterity checks, and your Rage damage bonus applies to melee weapon attacks made with either Strength or Dexterity. Furthermore, using your Reckless Attack feature grants advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using either Strength or Dexterity. Finally, all simple melee weapons gain the Finesse property for you. You lose all of these benefits if you don armor or a shield.

Bonus Proficiencies. When you choose this primal path at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in the Performance and Acrobatics skills. If you are already proficient in one of these skills, you gain another skill proficiency from the Barbarian skill list. You also gain proficiency with one musical instrument of your choice.

War Dances: When you choose this primal path at 3rd level, you learn to move in time with the song of battle, imitating primal nature in a fearsome display. You learn two of the five War Dances listed below. When you enter a rage, you choose which of the Dances will guide your form. You then gain that dance's benefits for the duration of your rage, or until you use a bonus action to switch between Dance forms. You can only benefit from one War Dance at a time. You cannot benefit from a Dance while wearing armor or wielding a shield. You learn additional War Dances when you reach certain levels in this class, one at 6th level, one at 10th, and one at 14th.

War Dances:

Whirling Death. You leap and strike in wide pirouettes, threatening many foes all around you. While in this dance, you may make one additional melee attack after you take the attack action on your turn. This attack cannot be against a creature that you have already targeted with an attack this turn.

Storm of Blades. With gleeful ferocity, you rain blow after blow upon your opponent. While in this dance, if all of your attacks on your turn target the same creature, that creature's movement speed is halved and it has disadvantage on attack rolls until the start of your next turn.

Shadow Coils. Like shadows flickering in moonlight, you bend and twist away from your opponents' blows. While in this dance, when a creature hits you with an attack, you may use your reaction to make a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the result is higher than your current Armor Class, you treat the check result as your Armor Class against that attack, possibly causing it to miss.

Woven Mist. Your sinuous and fluid motions confuse and disorient your enemies. While in this dance, when an enemy targets another creature within 10 feet of you with an attack, you can use your reaction to force the attack to target you instead.

Laughing Breeze. You move about the battlefield with carefree and taunting ease. While in this dance, your movement speed is increased by 10 feet, and the first opportunity attack made against you each turn will automatically miss.

Mighty Leap. Starting at 6th level, the ground can barely keep hold of you, as you leap gleefully through the air. When you make a running jump, the number of feet you cover increases by a number of feet equal to your Dexterity modifier. Additionally, if you end a running jump within 5 feet of an enemy, the first attack you make against that enemy this turn deals an additional 1d10 damage if it hits.

Joy of Performance. The rhythm of battle with which you strike and sway is infectious, and can stir your allies to follow in your wild footsteps. Starting at 10th level, whenever you begin a War Dance as part of entering a Rage, or use your bonus action to enter a new War Dance, one ally of your choice that can see you can use their reaction to move up to half their speed without provoking opportunity attacks.

Echo Dancer. At 14th level, the rhythms of your War Dances echo in syncopation with one another even as you shift between them. When you switch between War Dances mid-rage, the previous dance's benefits persist until the start of your next turn, even as you gain the benefits of the new dance.

quindraco
2021-08-05, 09:13 AM
Trickster's Grace should only enable Reckless Attack on melee weapon attack rolls made with Dexterity - also opening RA to Strength-based melee spell attack rolls wouldn't really be OP, but it also wouldn't be thematic. Current RA is melee weapon attack rolls made with Strength only.

Nuptup
2021-08-12, 08:56 PM
War Dances: When you choose this primal path at 3rd level, you learn to move in time with the song of battle, imitating primal nature in a fearsome display. You learn two of the five War Dances listed below. When you enter a rage, you choose which of the Dances will guide your form. You then gain that dance's benefits for the duration of your rage, or until you use a bonus action to switch between Dance forms. You can only benefit from one War Dance at a time. You cannot benefit from a Dance while wearing armor or wielding a shield. You learn additional War Dances when you reach certain levels in this class, one at 6th level, one at 10th, and one at 14th.

War Dances:

Whirling Death. You leap and strike in wide pirouettes, threatening many foes all around you. While in this dance, you may make one additional melee attack after you take the attack action on your turn. This attack cannot be against a creature that you have already targeted with an attack this turn.

Storm of Blades. With gleeful ferocity, you rain blow after blow upon your opponent. While in this dance, if all of your attacks on your turn target the same creature, that creature's movement speed is halved and it has disadvantage on attack rolls until the start of your next turn.

Shadow Coils. Like shadows flickering in moonlight, you bend and twist away from your opponents' blows. While in this dance, when a creature hits you with an attack, you may use your reaction to make a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the result is higher than your current Armor Class, you treat the check result as your Armor Class against that attack, possibly causing it to miss.

Woven Mist. Your sinuous and fluid motions confuse and disorient your enemies. While in this dance, when an enemy targets another creature within 10 feet of you with an attack, you can use your reaction to force the attack to target you instead.

Laughing Breeze. You move about the battlefield with carefree and taunting ease. While in this dance, your movement speed is increased by 10 feet, and the first opportunity attack made against you each turn will automatically miss.

So, I like everything in this so far, I would make similar adjustments as the other guy said just to bring it more in-line with the correct wording, I just wanted to touch on your dances more closely. I like the idea behind all of them (mostly) but I feel like there are some definitely "better" ones, and some not so good ones. Also, just to clarify, this write-up still has unarmored defense and thus adds dex and con to AC, with dex as main stat, allowing you to pretty comfortably sit at higher than normal AC values for barbarian.

So, for the dances.

Whirling Death: I like this, but I feel like the second attack should take your bonus action, similar to the Frenzy barbarian, otherwise this is fine since it's always available but must target someone else compared to frenzy being complicated, but unbridled. Then again, this might be totally fine seeing as it's very similar to the ranger horde breaker ability. So, maybe leave this one as is. :D

Storm of Blades: This is ok, but the wording is a bit confusing. It implies you get multiple attacks in a round, which at level 3 you wouldn't naturally unless dual-wielding, and it's effect only works if all attacks target the same creature. Again, I like this effect, because it's a cool way to weaken someone, but I feel like changing this from causing them to have disadvantage to causing them to grant advantage (like wolf barb) would again, be a good compromise. I personally avoid giving "on-demand" disadvantage, otherwise you end up like a bard and you can consistently force powerful foes to have disadvantage, and the bard has to hit with vicious mockery. With your write-up, you don't even have to hit, instead you just make all attacks target them for instant disadvantage with no counterplay. I would say making this equal to the wolf barb is a much better idea.

Shadow Coils: This one and the following 2 all seem to imply some supernatural effect in their naming scheme which goes against your stated desire to make this subclass non-magical in nature. I would suggest adjust names to reflect that if possible, heck most of the names don't imply a dance at all. So, maybe lean into that more. But, onto the effect, I don't really like it if I'm honest. You are already giving this barbarian much better scaling AC than a stock barbarian so adding a reaction that requires you to roll a check against a DC that you set is pretty weird. I think just a simple "While in this dance, you can use the dodge action as a bonus action." would be fine, allowing you to get defensive when you need it and swap back out to a different stance when it's more relevant. If you didn't notice, I like tying things to a bonus action, however that could end up proving really unfriendly for dual wield barbarians, so I would suggest maybe looking into other options instead. Or just making a dance suited specifically to dual wielding.

Woven Mist: For this one I would simply change the wording to match the wording used in other powers/fighting styles/feats to something like this. While in this dance, when an enemy within your reach targets another creature within your reach with an attack, you can use your reaction to force the attack to target you instead." This just makes it so that it follows more in line with what YOU can do since, there's no realistic way you could intercept an attack that you couldn't reach in front of. Otherwise, this one is fine and I don't see an issue with it, but compared to the others, this puts 100% of the control of it's effect on the GM and takes away your agency as a player, which is a situation I would generally avoid. And, comparing this to your as-written version of Storm of Blades, this is just inferior.

Laughing Breeze: Movement speed is fine, but I would just make you not trigger AoO's instead of making the first one automatically fail which is something we've never seen before. It's pretty much just a "I burn his reaction and you get nothing from it." effect, which is very frustrating for GM's. I would suggest either move speed (and jump distance) plus no AoO's (Pretty much mobile feat), or Move and something else besides AoO interaction since you're designed to take damage. Maybe even just merging this with the Shadow coils for a mobile and defensive option.

--

So, to wrap up, here's my suggested changes.

Dance of Blades: With gleeful ferocity, you rain blow after blow upon your opponent, leaving openings for your allies. While in this dance, if you only target a single creature with all of your attacks during your turn, that creature grants advantage to all attack rolls until the start of your next turn.

Dance of Death: You leap and strike in wide pirouettes, threatening many foes all around you. While in this dance, you may make one additional melee attack after you take the attack action on your turn. This attack cannot target a creature that you targeted with the triggering Attack action. As a bonus action you can extend your reach by 5 ft. until the end of your turn.

Dance of the Flowing Wind: You move about the battlefield with carefree and taunting ease, bending and twisting out of the way of danger. While in this dance, your movement speed is increased by 10 feet and you can use the Dodge or Disengage actions as Bonus actions on your turn.

Dance of the Martyr: Your seemingly reckless dance puts you in the way of danger, leaving you excited for more. While in this dance, when an enemy within your reach targets another creature within your reach with an attack, you can use your reaction to force the attack to target you instead. If the attack deals damage, you double your rage bonus to damage until the end of your next turn.

Dance of the Whirlwind: You twirl with a blade in each hand, ready to hack and slash into your foes like a whipping whirlwind. While in this dance, when you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack. Also, when you engage in two-weapon fighting, if the first attack missed the second attack is made with advantage.

--

I feel like those will be fun and playable Dances and will allow someone to feel like they're getting something unique from each option. I also wanted to incentivize people to not swap as often with a bonus action but giving several of them things to use that bonus action on. However, this slightly undermines the power of your level 14 feature, so I would suggest changing that feature to just allow them to have 2 dances active at the same time, blending the styles together. This made me realize that you would only ever have a single dance after level 14, so I think adding more available dances would be a good idea, and the easiest way to do that would be to tie the number of dances you can know to the damage bonus provided by range in the class table since this will start with 2 and end with 4. Other than that, the only thing I'd change would be to allow the barbarian capstone to affect dex instead of str and you're good.

Let me know what you think.