PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Legacy Champion/Uncanny Trickster and Initiator Level

Thurbane
2021-08-04, 06:49 PM
I asked this in Simple RAW, without any replies:

Q 449

How does Legacy Champion interact with Initiator Level?

Presumably the 8 levels where LC advances class level would advance IL as if you had taken an level in your martial adept class (if you put all 8 such levels towards the same martial adept class).

But do also get an additional boost of 5 levels for 10 levels of the PrC? Or do you only get an additional 1 level for the 2 levels of LC that don't advance your class? Or something else altogether?

Thoughts? Also, I'll expand it to include Uncanny Trickster, since they both basically work the same way.

Cheers - T

Soranar
2021-08-04, 07:11 PM
If you read tome of battle , page 96

They describe initiator prestige classes as :

Prestige classes that advance your initiator level

Since both those prestige classes advance your initiator level (by advancing class features at certain levels), they use that rule when applicable so

you get full initiator level when you progress class features

and half when you don't

there's no 1.5 initiator level shenanigans , and even though multiclass and prestige class rules are very far apart (page 39 et 96) page 39 states that: even when you gain levels in a class that does not progress martial maneuvers you get 1/2

but both legacy champion and uncanny trickster can progress martial maneuvers at certain levels (assuming they progress initiator classes)

the only way they wouldn't is if you choose a non initiator class to progress with them but if you do that you only get the 1/2 level progression

Thurbane
2021-08-04, 07:24 PM
That's a common sense reading, and probably what I would rule at my own table, but was curious about any other thoughts or different readings.

daremetoidareyo
2021-08-04, 08:55 PM
That's a common sense reading, and probably what I would rule at my own table, but was curious about any other thoughts or different readings.

It’s only ok to initiator level bootstrap when you need to justify some other bigger unignorable corruption of rules intent that it pales in comparison.

Darg
2021-08-04, 09:57 PM
LC mimics the features of another class basically. Initiator PRCs say this:

You add your full [insert PRC] levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.

It is a class feature to add full levels. LC doesn't get that feature for 2 levels. This means it advances IL 9/10.

If you can swing it, you could use LC to give yourself a boatload of maneuvers known and readied through the master of nine PRC.