PDA

View Full Version : Where do I learn how to format my posts?

Foolwise
2021-08-04, 07:10 PM
I've checked every possible board/link that I figure would be relevant and I'm stiking out. Specifically, I want to know how to link webpages and hide things in a spoiler box, but other formatting tips are welcome.

Where do I find this? Thanks.

Peelee
2021-08-04, 07:56 PM
I've checked every possible board/link that I figure would be relevant and I'm stiking out. Specifically, I want to know how to link webpages and hide things in a spoiler box, but other formatting tips are welcome.

Where do I find this? Thanks.

The SPOIL button on the bottom right of the toolbar above the text box where you write your posts does spoilers. Barring that, you can just manually write and with whatever text in between them that you want in the spoiler box.

Tou cannot post links until you have at least ten posts. This is an anti-spam measure.

This may also help (https://forums.giantitp.com/misc.php?do=bbcode).

Foolwise
2021-08-04, 08:06 PM
"This is not supported on mobile"

Bummer. Thanks for the help.

Peelee
2021-08-04, 08:16 PM

Oh, right, I forgot mobile version of the site was an option. Sorry.

Khedrac
2021-08-05, 02:40 AM
If you can, I would suggest getting time on a large-screen machine to use the non-mobile version so you can see what the formatting codes are and learn the important ones. Then you will know them for your own use on the mobile version.

Also, if you see a post with formatting you are curious about hit the "Reply" button to see the formatting they have used (I think everything other than quotes get copied in) at which point you can, again, see how to do what you want.

Except for tables. The current table code is generally agreed to be a nightmare (I don't think any of the moderators like it either) but there are a few posts dedicated to how they work.

2D8HP
2021-08-08, 06:04 AM
When you see a post with the formatting you want "quote" it and play around in 'preview' till you make a post of your own that does what you want.

Imbalance
2021-08-08, 01:33 PM

UBB/vBulletin code has some of the most user friendly forum tools ever developed, but the catch is that it predates smartphones by quite a few years. Does your mobile browser have a desktop view option?

Ursinorum
2021-09-19, 07:23 AM
I use BB code on other websites with no problem, but somehow the dice roller here is a capricious mistress than only works when it wants to (the sticky post didn't help much)

Ionathus
2021-09-20, 04:06 PM
Your mobile browser should also have a setting for "view in Desktop mode" which will allow you to interact as if you were in a desktop browser, including the full suite of editing tools.

It's not the most easy to control for obvious reasons (too many buttons for a mobile UI), but like others said it can be a good place to start if you want to learn.