PDA

View Full Version : Very specific quest idea

Skrum
2021-08-04, 10:38 PM
I'm going to run a one-shot that involves two restaurants who have gotten into a feud, and it has escalated to both of them hiring mercenaries for protection. Each has also put up a bounty on the other. What they don't know is that there's an evil merchant behind the whole thing who wants to buy both establishments to make room for a housing development. It's going to the player's job to untangle this mess.

But my question - the nicer place is owned by an elf, and has mostly elf clientele. When the players arrive, there's going to be 3 female drow sitting at a table, enjoying lunch. I'm imagining them as high society types with fancy dresses and sun umbrellas. If things go sideways, they're going to get involved as spellcasters. I want them to be members of some kind of club or organization.

What should the club be called?

Anonymouswizard
2021-08-05, 06:47 AM
Word Elves.

More seriously, what does this organisation do? Is it a cult (The Exquisite Church of Evad Noserna)? Is it a pro-elf political group (Drow for Unity)? Is it just a Saturday Night lawn bowls club (Riverton Lawn Bowls)?

Groups tend to be named something somewhat related to their purpose, so a rough idea of where the group lies on the 'shadowy conspiracy' to 'sports club' scale would be nice.

Batcathat
2021-08-05, 06:52 AM
Fancy high society ladies makes me think of some sort of charity and the idea of Drow charity organization strikes me as interesting. What would they support? Collecting money to buy prosthesis for driders who don't have enough legs? Buying slaves for the less fortunate?

Anonymouswizard
2021-08-05, 07:17 AM
Buying slaves for the less fortunate?

I think I have my villain for a new campaign!

Now to just settle on a system.

Imbalance
2021-08-05, 07:49 AM
It's a bridge club. No, they don't sit around playing cards - they're the chairs of a charitable trust that subs contractors to build safe crossings over rivers and chasms that provide access for underprivileged communities in isolated neighborhoods.

Pauly
2021-08-05, 08:05 AM
Speaking as a chef who sees these things regularly.. They could be:-

1) Ladies who lunch. High class trophy wives spending their husband’s money. In Drow society that probably makes them daughters of rich Matrons. In Drow society they could be an informal backdoor diplomatic system.

2) Under Covers. Working girls scouting for clients. These ladies are more likely to be madams than actual workers. Lots of charm/dominate spells. Each could specialize in a different type of clientele.

3) The Shark Tank. Business women working on a deal. This could be anything you want it to be. There’s no ongoing relationship so each is out for herself if the fit hits the shan.

4) The Learned. University professors networking whilst at a conference. They could be researching some new spells if you want to homebrew something exotic.

5) Class of 2491. Reunion of classmates. However, I don’t think that fits Drow society as I understand it.

Skrum
2021-08-07, 08:14 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I ended up calling them Queens of Twilight (inspired by the RL reading group Pulpwood Queens). They were at the restaurant to discuss The Orc and the Priestess, a smutty romance novel.

Unfortunately the players never talked to them.

Calthropstu
2021-08-07, 09:52 AM
Wasn't this a thing in Slayers? I feel like this was a thing in Slayers.

Skrum
2021-08-07, 07:18 PM
Wasn't this a thing in Slayers? I feel like this was a thing in Slayers.

Maybe? I've never heard of Slayers, but this isn't an especially ground-breaking plot (whoa, the landlord is the real villain!). I wouldn't be surprised at all if I "made up" something that basically already existed. Nothing new under the sun after all.

Calthropstu
2021-08-07, 08:13 PM
Maybe? I've never heard of Slayers, but this isn't an especially ground-breaking plot (whoa, the landlord is the real villain!). I wouldn't be surprised at all if I "made up" something that basically already existed. Nothing new under the sun after all.

Slayers is a d&d style cartoon. Started in Dragon Magazine in 1989. Later got several anime adaptations.

Saintheart
2021-08-08, 08:50 AM
But my question - the nicer place is owned by an elf, and has mostly elf clientele. When the players arrive, there's going to be 3 female drow sitting at a table, enjoying lunch. I'm imagining them as high society types with fancy dresses and sun umbrellas. If things go sideways, they're going to get involved as spellcasters. I want them to be members of some kind of club or organization.

What should the club be called?

Clearly the only possible answer to this question would be the Real House-Elves of Bizzt'Zerobazan.