PDA

View Full Version : 5e Ranger Subclass Homebrew

Shadowwell
2021-08-05, 04:07 AM
While looking at various Subclasses and joking around with my DM I had an Idea, a subclass inspired by the Hunters from the TV show Supernatural.

Hunters in the show are those who save people from monsters, essentially. They accomplish this through study of what they hunt and supplementing their experience with magic and magical items on occasion.

This is my first attempt creating a Subclass from scratch, and I would like some help.

Below is the current general layout of how I intend the subclass to feel. I want to keep the feel of Hunters from the show while making it fit into DnD somewhat naturally. Most of the features/abilities below are for flavor, but also some viability and are hopefully balanced.

Ranger subclass-Hunter(Supernatural)
Level 3: At 3rd level you gain the ability to temporarily gain a bonus against enemies.

Consult the Lore: You can spend a Long Rest consulting the Lore. You regain only half of what you normally would during a along Rest. Over this period you can go through the knowledge you have learned. Declare/choose a type of enemy, in the same manner as Favored Enemy. If you encounter that type of enemy prior to your next Long Rest you treat them as a Favored enemy and receive the appropriate bonuses. Additionally you have advantage on checks against the type of creature during this period.

Ask Around: Immediately before or after a Rest you can spend an hour to ask around to see what manner of creatures might be encountered. If any creatures you learn about are a Favored Enemy you gain advantage on attack rolls against them during your next combat. After the combat you lose the advantage.

Crusader of Good(might be renamed): You gain access to the Cleric Spell list and may choose 3 cantrips from it.

7th Level Your determination and perseverance on your chosen path bears fruit.

Ties that Bind: At 7th level you have learned how to Bind what you hunt to you. You gain access to Conjuration spells, more specifically Conjuration spells that summon creatures of the same type as your favored enemies. Whenever you cast a Conjuration spell you must roll a Wisdom check,(DC determined by DM), if you fail the conjured creature is still summoned but it can attack you and your allies.

Devil's Trap: Your constant study of the Lore and the creatures you hunt gives you access to magic traps(to be determined). You can set up such traps proficiently and Favored Enemy's have disadvantage on detecting them and on saving throws against them if applicable.

In addition you gain adavtange on all checks to discover or disable magical traps if applicable.

11th Level:

Know your Enemy: Your research on various creatures allows you to choose another favored enemy from the following types: Undead, Fiend, Monstrosity, Aberration, Fey, or Celestial. Additionally once per turn in combat you can deal an extra 1d10 to a Favored Enemy.

Always prepared: You can spend a short rest to allow your weapons to be treated as silvered or magical for the purposes of overcoming resistances.

Hunting Expertise: Your experience in and dedication to hunting a few select type of creatures shows. When fighting your Favored Enemies you gain a bonus corresponding to your Fighting Style.

15th Level

Crossroads Pact: Your knowledge on the supernatural and the binding of creatures allows you to form a pact with a patron similarly to a Warlock. This Patron can be a Celestial, Fiend, or Aberration.

Fiend(Devil):

Fiend(Demon):

Celestial: Celestial creatures are less likely to attack you and you no longer have to roll a save when conjuring celestial creatures.

Aberration:

Hunters Tools: Your weapons reflect your experience in fighting all manner of unnatural creatures. You gain advantage on attack rolls against favored enemies. Additionally you can spend an hour on a ritual binding a weapon to you. Attacks made with this weapon are treated as magical, silvered, or as anything the target has a particular vulnerability to.

Any advice will be helpful, thank you. I apologize for how much of a mess this post might be, I'm copying it from a mobile app to here, I will organize it later if need be.