PDA

View Full Version : Tasha's Feat Shadow Touched. Question

Cyclops08
2021-08-05, 12:47 PM
The feat says I can get a first level spell of my choice from illusion of necromancy schools.
does that mean my warlock could take, "Spare the Dying?" a cleric spell. It is a necro spell.

Keravath
2021-08-05, 12:53 PM
The feat says I can get a first level spell of my choice from illusion of necromancy schools.
does that mean my warlock could take, "Spare the Dying?" a cleric spell. It is a necro spell.

Unfortunately, spare the dying is a cantrip and not a first level spell so RAW the feat would not allow you to take it. However, if it fits your character, you could ask your DM whether he would allow it.

RogueJK
2021-08-05, 01:17 PM
As stated, Spare the Dying is not a 1st level spell.

The officially published 1st level spells that are available to take with Shadow Touched are:

Cause Fear
Color Spray
Disguise Self
Distort Value
False Life
Illusory Script
Inflict Wounds
Ray of Sickness
Silent Image

Besides, even if your DM allows it, I wouldn't waste a feat to acquire Spare the Dying. You can achieve the same effect as Spare the Dying by simply having a Healer's Kit, which any character can use to spend an Action and one of its 10 charges to automatically stabilize an adjacent ally. Doing that doesn't require Healing Kit proficiency.

Just like Spare the Dying, either option require an Action, a free hand, and being within Touch range. The only thing the Spare the Dying does is remove the need to spend the 5 GP to purchase a Healer's Kit, or pull it out using your free Item Interaction.

(This means Spare the Dying is one of the least useful cantrips in 5E since it can be duplicated with a 5 gp piece of mundane equipment, and either option is strictly worse than a healing spell/potion anyway. Therefore, some DMs homebrew Spare the Dying to give it range, make it Verbal only, and/or make it a Bonus Action, in order to try to make it potentially more appealing/useful.)

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-05, 01:30 PM
If spare the dying is the main thing that you want out of it, might I recommend the Magic Initiate (Cleric) feat or the Artificer Initiate feat? Both would give you spare the dying along with additional fringe benefits.

Failing that, if you haven't picked a pact for your warlock, Pact of the Tome would let you nab the cantrip.