PDA

View Full Version : Custom Magic Items PEACH

carrdrivesyou
2021-08-05, 02:34 PM
Just two items I had ideas for. The second is inspired by a campaign journal I read somewhere. Would like some input please!

Helmet of Twin Minds
Very Rare
Requires Attunement
You may concentrate on two spells at once. If you take damage, you must roll Constitution saving throws to maintain concentration on each spell individually.

I figure this one is fairly straightforward, although grammar might need some polishing. It's obviously really strong, but not necessarily game breaking I think.

Ever-Striking Weapon
Rare
Requires Attunement
When you make an attack with this weapon, it will always hit the target. Roll your attack as normal. If your attack roll would be considered a hit, this weapon deals damage as normal. If your attack roll would be considered a miss, the weapon deals damage as normal, but the wielder takes damage equal to the difference in the attack roll and the target's Armor Class. You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.

I think this one is a bit more powerful, and perhaps the damage to the wielder should be increased, or at least unstoppable.

What do you think Playgrounders?

KorvinStarmast
2021-08-05, 02:37 PM
Helmet of Twin Minds
Very Rare
Requires Attunement
You may concentrate on two spells at once. That's one of the three places that can break the game. Wall of Force / Sickening radiance is but one example. Soul Cage / Sickening radiance is another.

quindraco
2021-08-05, 02:55 PM
Helmet of Twin Minds
Very Rare
Requires Attunement
You may concentrate on two spells at once. If you take damage, you must roll Constitution saving throws to maintain concentration on each spell individually.

This is Artifact grade, and the helmet should probably be sapient and bother the wearer somehow (e.g. by demanding it be appeased to maintain Concentration for you, and appeasing it is onerous).

Ever-Striking Weapon
Rare
Requires Attunement
When you make an attack with this weapon, it will always hit the target. Roll your attack as normal. If your attack roll would be considered a hit, this weapon deals damage as normal. If your attack roll would be considered a miss, the weapon deals damage as normal, but the wielder takes damage equal to the difference in the attack roll and the target's Armor Class. You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.

This is much, much weaker. Many tables won't like the necessary subtraction, but it's your item, so if you're cool with it, then so be it. You should probably not have it work on natural 1s - normally, an ability that lets you ignore a natural 1 is very limited, like a Divination Wizard's 2 portents per day. This is always on. In fact, this weapon would be better if a natural 1 was disastrously bad with it - like, you hit yourself instead and crit on a natural 1. That said, I strongly dislike how this weapon will perform in the hands of a raging barbarian. Might I suggest something else?

Ever-Striking Weapon
Rare
Requires Attunement
Attacks made with this weapon are always made with advantage; if you already have advantage from another source, you may re-roll the lower of the two attack dice. When you miss with this weapon, you hit yourself.

KorvinStarmast
2021-08-05, 03:10 PM
Might I suggest something else?
That's a neat item with a minor cursed effect on it. I like it!