PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Magic whips that already exist?

Setharious
2021-08-05, 04:43 PM
I have been looking around online trying to find magic whips, and have continued to find people making their own homebrew magic whips, but not a ton that already exist. What magic whips already exist and do not require homebrew?

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-05, 04:49 PM
I mean, the only pair that come to mind offhand are Dyrrn's Tentacle whip from Eberron and that fancy shadow whip from not-Hades in the Theros book.

kingcheesepants
2021-08-05, 05:08 PM
Any generic variant would be fine. These would be things like +1, Vicious, Certain Death, Warning, etc. These can apply to whips as well as anything else. There are also a lot of generic variants that for whatever reason only apply to swords such as Nine Lives Stealer, Flametounge, Vorpal, Wounding, Moon Touched, Sharpness. Technically applying one of these variants to a whip is homebrew but just barely and it really wouldn't be a problem to have say a Whip of Wounding or a Moon Touched Whip.

Angelalex242
2021-08-05, 05:12 PM
If I wanted to make a magic whip, I'd make a 'Whip of Indy' that lets people 'brachiate' as if it were a jungle environment.

"You see a 10 foot pit."

"No worries, I use my Whip of Indy to get across!"

The Whip of Indy can also grab unattended objects within the whip's reach.

...The Whip of Indy may also grant disadvantage on stealth checks, because it insists on playing a certain themesong. It performs that themesong as if it had rolled a 30 on its performance check.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-05, 05:14 PM
...Now I want a Vorpal Whip. Sling it around someone's neck and *pop* goes their head.

kingcheesepants
2021-08-05, 05:18 PM
...Now I want a Vorpal Whip. Sling it around someone's neck and *pop* goes their head.

A Vorpal Whip would be super cool. And while very technically homebrew there really isn't any reason it wouldn't work. If you can have a vorpal (any sword) why not a whip?

Cryptwright
2021-08-05, 05:19 PM

Count me wanting this as well, or a whip with auto grapple maybe.

Foolwise
2021-08-05, 05:30 PM
Okay I'll say the obvious...

Thorn Whip, literally a magic whip.

Witty Username
2021-08-05, 10:03 PM
I think most of the fun magic weapons were lost in the purge. 3.5 had some good stuff.

I think the weapon was named Rose's kiss. It did bonus piercing damage, was lethal(whips normally did non-lethal if I remember right) and the target was filled with intense pleasure when being hit by it.

5e just doesn't have much.

gloryblaze
2021-08-05, 11:08 PM
I mean, the only pair that come to mind offhand are Dyrrn's Tentacle whip from Eberron and that fancy shadow whip from not-Hades in the Theros book.

There’s also the Lash of Shadows in EGtW.

Guy Lombard-O
2021-08-06, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure if it's actually stated out anywhere, but there seem to be magical "Booyahg Whips" mentioned in official materials (goblinoids). They sound like a magical item.

carrdrivesyou
2021-08-07, 03:00 PM
I think 3.5 had some weird bladed whip. No reason NOT to make that a vorpal weapon. Should be easy enough to change over or fluff in 5e, seeing as whips already do slashing damage.