PDA

View Full Version : How would you rework these spells for 5e?

Foolwise
2021-08-05, 08:35 PM
My character is going to be a follower of Hlal. My research says she knows all schools of magic except for necromancy. And since my character gets her spellcasting powers from Hlal, I will not be using necromancy magic. I did find a blog on Hlal that included three prestige spells at the very bottom of the post that are specific to the diety:

http://blog.aulddragon.com/2016/08/hlal-the-jester/

My cleric is multiclassed and likely will not see spells higher than 5th level, 3rd level more realistically. The goal is to turn those spells into a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level 5e spell.

The 1st level Distracting Joke is the simplest. I can easily reskin Tasha's Hideous Laughter. Maybe change the ST from WIS to CHA?

The 3rd level Hlal's Jest has me making a save and walking away confused. Maybe refluff 2nd level Enthrall and add a rider that any creature charmed by this spell has disadvantage on its next Charisma saving throw?

The 2nd level Aura of Hlal reads like a stronger Otto's Irresistible Dance, but I love the flavor and want to water it down. This is what I came up with:

3rd Level
Aura of Hlal
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V
Duration: 30 seconds

An aura of choreomania extends from you. Each creature of your choice that you can see within range must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or begin a comic dance in place; shuffling, tapping its feet, capering for the duration. Creatures that can't be charmed are immune to this spell.

A dancing creature must use all of its movement to dance without leaving its space and has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws and attack rolls. While a creature is affected by this spell, other creatures have advantage on attack rolls against it. The spell ends for a dancing creature if it takes damage or makes a successful Wisdom saving throw as an action to regain control of itself.

So compared to Otto's, the range is nerfed to adjacent creatures instead of 30 ft. But it gets buffed from 1 target to as many as 4. The auto hit is nerfed to a CHA save or suck. And while I removed Conc, the spell ends early if the target takes damage. But I am clueless if this is balanced for a 3rd level spell.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-05, 08:54 PM
Honestly, I'd refluff hypnotic pattern instead of creating a new spell, keeping it a 3rd level spell.

Foolwise
2021-08-05, 09:30 PM
Hypnotic Pattern becomes Hlal's Hypnotic Rave

"While charmed by this spell, the creature is incapacitated with the need to dance (in place) and has a speed of 0."