PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Gravelords - mix'n'match skeleton race

Greywander
2021-08-05, 09:30 PM
I had a random idea to make a homebrew skeleton race specifically built around the idea of modifying their body by incorporating the skeletons of other creatures into it. I realize how potentially unbalanced this is, so I made sure it was their only trait, aside from a generic undead template.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LDLYcHPtFXIDHrpidc5VMqNFW_Odq92GVVyGEkej3Ww/edit?usp=sharing

I considered putting a limit on how many modifications they can make, but I think it's more fun to let them use anything and everything they can scavenge. One could even say it's... Neato (https://darksouls.fandom.com/wiki/Gravelord_Nito). Here's how I see some of the potential balance issues:

Size. Generally things that modify your size, such as Enlarge/Reduce, also give you other bonuses, like an increase in damage or advantage on STR checks. Just changing size shouldn't make too much of a difference, although it does inordinately benefit grapplers.
Extra Limbs. Absent any other rules, you should be able to wield a shield with a two-handed weapon. YMMV on how much of an issue this is, it's not like it gives you additional attacks or anything, nor does it permit drawing or stowing extra weapons.
Natural Weapons. A gravelord monk would be terrifying. There are some natural weapons out there that hit pretty hard, e.g. the bulette's bite (4d12 + mod piercing damage). Then again, I guess with natural weapons this strong, you don't need to be a monk?
Movement. This allows you to get a "racial" fly speed, but you first have to find a winged creature the same size category as you. This aspect is partially balanced by needing parts from creatures that are the same size as you, so any time you change your size, you'll need to replace all your movement enhancements. Making yourself larger will also make it more difficult to obtain skeletal parts that are the correct size.

What are some sensible limits I could put on this without making it unfun? The best I can think of are limited slots for modifications, but that seems kind of arbitrary, and all it would lead to is only using the best modifications, e.g. the best natural weapon combined with the fasted fly speed. Redundant modifications could add some flavor, and might make you more flexible, but won't make you vastly stronger.

Honestly, you're really only getting about four traits, which is about as many traits as most other races give you. The main issue is that you can upgrade those traits as you go along, so while some races get natural weapons, you can continually upgrade your natural weapons as you fight tougher monsters. Same with movement. Your racial traits start off about as strong as other races, but end up much stronger due to upgrading.

Also, I know some of you are going to suggest making this a class instead of a race. I have a WIP class that is basically this concept (though not a skeleton), but I haven't touched it in a while. I might pick that back up at some point, but for this I really wanted to focus on an appendage assimilator that was more... bare bones.