PDA

View Full Version : Unique or flavorful high-level wizard feats

Jlazarin
2021-08-05, 10:02 PM
I'm looking for some interesting feats for relatively high level wizards (lvl 12+). I'm specifically looking for feats that have good flavor, and allow you to play a wizard in a unique way. Examples of what I'm looking for would be something like Master Spellthief and Deformity (Madness). What I'd really like to avoid are min/maxing spells, like the classic metamagic spells that modify a spell at the cost higher spell slot.

Any sources are fine, apart from unbalanced/broken homebrew context.

Thanks!

redking
2021-08-05, 10:12 PM
Dragon Magazine #359 (https://www.enworld.org/threads/dragon-359.203888/).

Arcane Lore Abilities, by Monte Cook - Monte himself presents eight new feats for arcane spellcasters, each specially designed to have atmosphere to go along with their crunch: Countenance of the Mage, Ears of the Mage, Eyes of the Mage, Footsteps of the Mage, Hands of the Mage, Name of the Mage, Presence of the Mage, and Voice of the Mage.

These feats ooze unique and flavourful spellcaster.

Particle_Man
2021-08-05, 11:59 PM
Since wizards can cast spells on themselves, maybe some of the spell touches feats in unearthed arcana?

Bohandas
2021-08-06, 12:18 AM
The reserve feats from Complete Mage let you min-max not casting spells. They each give you an ability you can spam at will whose power scales to the highest level spell of a certain school or subschool that you currently have prepared

EDIT:
I think there's a couple of these feats in Complete Champion as well, but there's less of them, and at least one of them is only for divine casters and bards as it scales to healing spells

Endarire
2021-08-07, 07:23 PM
What sort of Wizard are we talking here?

I like metamagic reducers since they let me actually use the metamagic feats I have.

Shadowcraft Mages (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=16433.0) have a buncha Illusion-specific things that help.

And so on.

the_tick_rules
2021-08-07, 09:27 PM
not feats but the seven veils set from magic item compendium does some pretty wild things.

Beni-Kujaku
2021-08-08, 05:15 PM
In the "Illusion mage" thread‚ Proteus‚ from Exemplars of Evil‚ is real fun to play. Immediate action illusion is a blast

Thurbane
2021-08-08, 05:23 PM
I'm a fan of Elven Spell Lore (PHB2): as well as the +2 CL check for Dispelling, you get to select a single spell in your spell book, and you can apply any energy type to it when you memorize it. In some ways better than energy Substitution, since you can include Sonic (which was dropped from the 3.5 version of the feat).