PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Quick check on Ghost Template

Learn34
2021-08-06, 05:57 PM
Introduction/context: In the Special Attacks section, the template says the base creature gains "one to three other special attacks as described below", but I see no guidance on how to determine the number of special attacks gained, other than DM choice (Note: I'm the DM and applying the template to a dead PC).

Questions:

Am I correct in thinking the 1-3 abilities gained are at DM discretion?
How much more of a CR increase(i.e. above the default+2) do y'all think giving all the abilities would warrant?

reddir
2021-08-06, 06:08 PM
RealmsHelp has it as:
The ghost also gains a manifestation ability plus 1d3 other special attacks described below
This indicates rolling for it.

Where is this Ghost Template from? I looked in GhostWalk and Savage Species and did not find anything similar.

EDIT -- Found it, Monster Manual 1 p117, says "one to three".

Crake
2021-08-06, 09:22 PM
Most likely you should give it abilities that are fitting with the circumstances of the ghost's death and give hints as to what is tying it the mortal world.

Troacctid
2021-08-07, 03:47 AM
Introduction/context: In the Special Attacks section, the template says the base creature gains "one to three other special attacks as described below", but I see no guidance on how to determine the number of special attacks gained, other than DM choice (Note: I'm the DM and applying the template to a dead PC).

Questions:

Am I correct in thinking the 1-3 abilities gained are at DM discretion?
How much more of a CR increase(i.e. above the default+2) do y'all think giving all the abilities would warrant?

1. Well, yes, but personally, if I were making them take +5 LA, I'd let them pick.
2. Per the improving monsters rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#addingSpecialAbilities), anywhere from +0 to +2, depending on how much you think it increases the ghost's combat effectiveness.