PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a half-dwarf race lying around?

AstralFire
2007-11-15, 12:17 AM
Thanks. :D

Xeran
2007-11-15, 12:31 AM
Check the Dark Sun 3.5 campaign setting, which is free and you can probably find through google. Includes a half-dwarf race.

AstralFire
2007-11-15, 12:36 AM
Check the Dark Sun 3.5 campaign setting, which is free and you can probably find through google. Includes a half-dwarf race.

Thanks, but. I don't see it, just half-giants...

RTGoodman
2007-11-15, 12:37 AM
Mul Traits
• +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma. Combining the human height with the dwarven musculature, muls
end up stronger than either parent race, but their status as born-to-be slaves makes them insecure in their
dealings with others.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, muls have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Mul base land speed is 30 feet.
• Darkvision: Muls can see in the dark up to 30 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but is otherwise like
normal sight, and muls can function just fine with no light at all.
• Tireless: Muls get a +4 racial bonus to checks for performing a physical action that extends over a period of
time (running, swimming, holding breath, and so on). This bonus stacks with the Endurance feat. This bonus
may also be applied to savings throws against spells and magical effects that cause weakness, fatigue,
exhaustion or enfeeblement.
• Extended activity: Muls may engage in up to 12 hours of hard labor or forced marching without suffering
from fatigue.
• Dwarven Blood: For all special abilities and effects, a mul is considered a dwarf. Muls, for example, can use
dwarvish weapons and magic items with racially specific dwarven powers as if they were dwarves.
• Nonlethal Damage Resistance 1/-. Muls are difficult to subdue, and do not notice minor bruises, scrapes,
and other discomforts that pain creatures of other races.
• Favored Class: Gladiator
• Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gith, Giant, Tarek
• Level Adjustment +1. As a hybrid half-race, muls are considerably more powerful than either of their parent
races, thus they gain levels more slowly.

It's online here (http://athas.org/releases/ds3/ds3_r6.pdf) (in PDF format).

EDIT: You were probably looking for Half-Dwarf as the race's name. They were originally created in the Dark Sun campaign setting (I think), and the name from there (Mul) just stuck.

AstralFire
2007-11-15, 12:39 AM
Ah yeah, I stumbled across it just now.

Hmm. I'll just have to stat my own, I guess - this one's born out of love and definitely isn't a slave, so things don't exactly seem appropriate.

RTGoodman
2007-11-15, 01:03 AM
Well, I just sort of came up with it on the fly, but here's a possibility.

Half-Dwarf

-+2 Con, -2 Dex. Stout and strong like their dwarven parent, half-dwarves are also slightly less nimble.

-Medium: As Medium creatures, half-dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

-Half-Dwarf base land speed is 30 feet. However, due to their stout stature, half-dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).

-Low-light vision: A half-dwarf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

-Stability: A half-dwarf gains a +4 racial bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).

-Dwarf Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-dwarf is considered a dwarf.

-+2 racial bonus on Appraise and Craft checks related to stone or metal.

-Automatic Languages: Common, Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Any.

-Favored Class: Any.

levi
2007-11-15, 01:44 AM
I was going to recommend Athas's Muls, but several people already beat me to it. I'd recommend using them as they are as close to official as you're going to get and have also been fairly extensively playtested. Also, if you download the conversion PDF, it's filled with all sorts of other goodies as well.

AstralFire
2007-11-15, 02:31 AM
RTG, that looks a lot like what I was going to do. Mind if I snag?

I was going to recommend Athas's Muls, but several people already beat me to it. I'd recommend using them as they are as close to official as you're going to get and have also been fairly extensively playtested. Also, if you download the conversion PDF, it's filled with all sorts of other goodies as well.

Eh, I know enough about Dark Sun to know that the game is intentionally balanced for a higher power setting than the rest of D&D - look at the Half-Giant compared to the XPH Half-Giant. And I'm the DM, so WotC-official doesn't bother me too much. That and the Mul flavor really just doesn't fit.

Now, to come up with good IG reasons why this NPC couple was able to have a baby accidentally...

levi
2007-11-15, 04:50 PM
You may have a point about DS balance, but I belive that it has been toned down in the third edition conversion.

As for why a half-dwarf exists, there are several reasons. First, they could be just like half-elves. Dwarves and humans are geneticly compatible, but interspecies mating is relativly rare. (I think it's the beared women that turn the human males off.)

Secondly, they could be possible, but unlikely. Pehaps humans and dwarves can mate, but the resulting offspring is almost never viable. The fertilization never occures or the resulting fetus tends to miscarry. (Some real life hybrids are like this).

Thirdly, it isn't normally possibly, but can be achived with some assistance. Fertility drugs, "a wizard did it", divine intervention, a bizzare curse, etc. This method can be used alone, or combined with the second idea to increase the odds. Perhaps one of the two parents was subject to a prophecy involving thier children, which come to pass despite thier choice of mate.

Or, they could be a common half breed. This works if you're using your own campaign setting, where you can integrate them like any other race.

Well, there's some ideas anyway. Do with them as you wish.

RTGoodman
2007-11-15, 07:58 PM
RTG, that looks a lot like what I was going to do. Mind if I snag?

Have at it. Also, if you want, I guess you could give it the Stonecunning abiltiy, since that doesn't seem to over-powered (but I just decided to cut it for the version I posted above). Depends on exactly how many different abilities you want to give it, though.