PDA

View Full Version : Do your clothes count as "you"?

SangoProduction
2021-08-08, 03:33 PM
Let's say by some contrivance that you have been turned invisible, but can put on new clothes so that you're wearing visible clothes.

Are "you" visible while wearing those clothes?

What about a diminutive wizard. You shoved him into your pocket and zipped up the opening.
Does he have line of sight to "you", because he can definitely see your clothing / armor, and definitely still touch it? And normally clothing doesn't provide any protection, LoS or otherwise.

An Enemy Spy
2021-08-08, 03:46 PM
The invisibility spell affects you and any clothing or equipment you have on you, so while the clothes don't count as a part of your body the spell does affect them.

SangoProduction
2021-08-08, 06:41 PM
I know about the Invisibility spell.

Thurbane
2021-08-08, 08:27 PM
The rules on this can be a little wonky.

The section on Invisibility in the Rules Compendium is fairly similar to the wording of the spell, in the relevant parts:

If an invisible creature picks up a visible object, that object remains visible. An invisible creature can pick up a small visible item and hide that object under clothing or in a similar place, rendering the object effectively invisible.

Let's say by some contrivance that you have been turned invisible, but can put on new clothes so that you're wearing visible clothes.

I would say definitely, yes. If throwing flour on someone negates the miss chance, then wearing a full (or maybe even partial) set of visible clothes would too, IMHO. It's not like a Raiment (LM) gets a miss chance. Although maybe downgrading from total concealment to "partial" concealment might be apt:

If a creature tries to attack an invisible target whose location has been pinpointed, the attack resolves normally, but the invisible target benefits from total concealment. A particularly large and slow target might get a smaller or no miss
chance, at the DM’s option.
If a creature tries to attack an invisible target whose location hasn’t been pinpointed, the attacker chooses the space where the attack is directed. If the invisible target is there, the attack resolves normally with the usual miss chance for total concealment.

What about a diminutive wizard. You shoved him into your pocket and zipped up the opening.
Does he have line of sight to "you", because he can definitely see your clothing / armor, and definitely still touch it? And normally clothing doesn't provide any protection, LoS or otherwise.

That is a really tough one.

I man, from the perspective of the diminutive wizard, it's not like normal clothing, more like he's been shoved into a closed tent, or draped in a blanket. Probably not cover, but I would say that from inside the pocket of a zipped pocket, the diminutive wizard has no LoS...however, as to whether your visible clothes count as "you", maybe you could extrapolate from the tower shield rules:

The shield does not, however, provide cover against targeted spells; a spellcaster can cast a spell on you by targeting the shield you are holding.

I don't know that there is RAW that completely covers this. My ruling at my table would probably be:

If you are invisible wearing visible clothes, you may only get "partial" concealment, or even no concealment for a full suit of clothing.
The diminutive wizard in your pocket has no LoS to anything outside of the pocket.
The diminutive wizard (or anyone else) may be able target you with a spell (depending heavily on the spell) by targeting your clothing.

Thurbane
2021-08-08, 08:58 PM
There's a couple of Rules of the Game articles that deal with Invisilibty: There, Not There (Part One) (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040914a) and There, Not There (Part Two) (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040921a)

How much value you assign to their conclusions is debatable, as they seem to carry similar weight to the Official FAQ.

Psyren
2021-08-08, 09:41 PM

Well this is the sort of situation they were trying to avoid with that invisibility clause...

I'd invoke the "partial concealment" rules here. Seeing your clothes lets them know you're there, but not seeing the rest of you makes you harder to hit, represented by a miss chance somewhere between total and blur.

daremetoidareyo
2021-08-08, 10:29 PM
Wait.

Can you wear two sets of clothes, cast invisibility, and then let your buddy wear your invisible hoodie?

Tzardok
2021-08-09, 02:41 AM
Wait.

Can you wear two sets of clothes, cast invisibility, and then let your buddy wear your invisible hoodie?

No. If you cast invisibility, everything that seperates from you (like shot arrows, for example) becomes visible.

Psyren
2021-08-10, 10:42 AM
You can cast invisibility on your buddy's clothes, but then they'll just be visibly standing around naked :smalltongue:

Quertus
2021-08-10, 11:30 AM

When an invisible person changes clothes, the new clothes, as visible objects picked up after they turned invisible, remain visible. Clothes worn count as "you" for purposes of dwoemers and targeting you with spells. So, yes, "you" are visible in the sense of "had LoS: yes".

And, visible or invisible, the wizard in your pocket has LoS to you by having LoS to your clothes.

Psyren
2021-08-10, 01:40 PM
I agree that your clothes floating in midair is visible enough for you to provide line of sight to people and be targeted.

As above though, I think that depending on how much clothing is visible, you will have a degree of miss chance somewhere between blur and invisibility. Wearing a tunic and breeches would mean less concealment than wearing, say, a fundoshi or bikini. (Or you'd get no benefit at all if, say, you're encased head to toe in visible full plate or a floor-length robe with hood.)

Tzardok
2021-08-10, 01:44 PM
That sounds like someone wants to impersonate an animate suit of armor. Throw in a hover spell, and you are a ghost (or a Scooby Doo villain).