PDA

View Full Version : Optimization A random character idea and how to make it work exactly?

ngilop
2021-08-09, 08:23 PM
So... I was watching some old wreslting videos and reading the Monster Manual at the same time...

Well coincidence arose from circumstance and all that jazz. I happened to be reading the Umber Hulk the same time Hulk Hogan's theme song came on.

And I thought to myself.. 'what ya gonna do brother.... when that Umber Hulkamania runs wild on you"

Then i was like "oh hey... thats an concept that I should have thought of like 20+ years ago"

What would be the best/most competent character build for an Umber Hulk wrestler

I guess for this give the Umberhulk an ECL of 9, as that seems about right.

Morphic tide
2021-08-10, 03:40 AM
Large, +12 Strength, +8 Constitution, Claw/Claw/Bite routine indicates very ready compatibility with Black Blood Cultist, for all losing 2 points of BAB is a bother. Still a net gain of +8 on Grapples, though your delay on BBC 8 is a big issue. Doubly so with fitting Totemist 2.

But if just talking completed builds, you're actually able to get Barbarian 1/Totemist 2/Black Blood Cultist 8 even with LA +1. In that case, you're at +6 for Grapple as you lose out on Greater Rage and another point of BAB, but then the baseline Natural Weapons and Large size give quite the damage boost in the long run.

Thurbane
2021-08-10, 04:59 PM
It's a shame that the main PrC built around wrestling (Reaping Mauler) has a hard limit on being no bigger than medium, due to the Clever Wrestling req.

As a DM, you could always remove that req from the feat, or remove the feat as a req for the PrC.

I believe Pathfinder has Luchadore type class(es), but Hulk Hogan is definitely more of a brute wrestler than an acrobatic one.

Not really wrestling related, but as an Aberration with 2 claw attacks, the Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike feats from Draconomicon may be worth looking into.

Bonzai
2021-08-10, 08:52 PM
An alternative option could be sword sage. Setting Sun has multiple throws, tiger has various leaps, etc... all could be fluffed as professional wrestling moves.