PDA

View Full Version : need help to find good items for cleric in a lvl20 game(1.2 millions gp to buy items)

Zhepna
2021-08-09, 09:12 PM
Hi,

I joined a 3.5 game that everybody is lvl 20 with broken characters. I'll play cleric and I'm looking for good items. I'm a classic DMM persist cleric. This is what I found for the moment. For slot with ??? is because I found nothing interesting for the moment. I have 1.2 millions of gp to buy items.

Arms: ??

Body: is there benefit to use special metals? with Soulfire (+4: 16 000gp) Immunity to Death effects and/or energy drain and/or negative energy effects and Blueshine(+1) covers your weapon from all things that might destroy it, like acid or rust

Face: Custom item of continuous Favor of the Martyr (SpC). 128000GP to get a lot of immunities

I’ll use Sovereign Glue on Gem of Seeing to put it on my eyeball so it’ll be slotless. 75000GP, Offers True Seeing for up to 30 minutes per day, divided up as you wish.
Feet:. Boots of Big Stepping (MIC). 6000GP, feet slot. Range 60, standard action activation. Works three times per day. Teleports as Greater Teleport.
Hands: ???
Head: ???
Rings (2 slots): Ring of Freedom of Movement (DMG). 40000GP, and Ring of Counterspells - greater with Mordenkainen's Disjunction on it

Shoulders: Minor Cloak of Displacement (DMG). 24000GP, shoulders slot. Continuous 20% miss chance,
Throat: Command-activated custom item of Mind Blank (DMG). 43200GP
Torso: shirts, tunics, vests, vestments. ???
Waist: Belt of Battle (MIC). 12000GP, waist slot. +2 competence bonus to initiative and extra actions

slotless: Periapt of Wisdom +6 wisdom 36 000gp
Lyre of Building 13 000 gp
Feathered Wings graft (Fiend Folio) 10 000 gp (unlimited fly)
Glaring Eye (RotD). 10000GP, slotless (graft). Grants Blindsense 30', all day.
differents Tool, Masterwork at 50 gp each to give +2 to each important skills
Cube of Force (DMG 253, 62,000 gp)protection against everything
Heward's Fortifying Bedroll (Complete Mage, 3,000 gp) Allows casters to regain spells with only one hour of sleep, rather than the usual 8.
Hewards Handy Haversack (2000 gp)

Weapon:
Luck Blade (DMG 227, 22,060 gp) It's s +2 short sword that--for an additional 14,000 gp--gives, not only a +1 luck bonus to saves, but lets you reroll ANY one roll you have just made, once per day.
weapon enhancemen Holy (DMG 225, +2 enchantment) It deals an extra 2d6 points of damage against all of evil alignment. It bestows one negative level.
Warning (MiC, pg 46, +1 bonus): +5 insight bonus to initiative when holding the weapon in question.
with the following Flat Rate Enhancement:
Initiative (Oriental Adventures, 10,000 gp): +2 luck bonus on Initiative
Blueshine covers your weapon from all things that might destroy it, like acid or rust, and the cost is around 1,500 gp

All sources are available, including dragon magazine and pathfinder.

Thanks a lot for the information and have a nice day.

Troacctid
2021-08-09, 09:58 PM
Check out my List of Useful Items (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sJRCphWkrtLm8Q6iD6_YPp00MggiAT556j9231uu5Lg/edit?usp=sharing). I have a bunch of great items on there sorted by cost. Scroll down to the super-expensive stuff and start going to town.

Aracor
2021-08-09, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure what your reflex save looks like, but the Starmantle Cloak is really hard to go wrong with. A STRICT reading makes you immune to all non-magical weapons and lets you reduce all magical weapon attacks by 50% by making a DC 15 Reflex save.

A permissive reading combines it with Evasion and basically makes you immune to weapons unless you roll a 1 on your save.

Biggus
2021-08-09, 11:12 PM
I’ll use Sovereign Glue on Gem of Seeing to put it on my eyeball so it’ll be slotless. 75000GP, Offers True Seeing for up to 30 minutes per day, divided up as you wish.

You're probably better off with a Hathran Mask of True Seeing (UE), it works all day for the same price.

Throat: Command-activated custom item of Mind Blank (DMG). 43200GP

You'll probably want to add a +6 Constitution bonus to this for 36,000GP.

If you make this slotless it'll cost double. You can add it to your throat slot item without increasing the cost as per MIC p.234.

Initiative (Oriental Adventures, 10,000 gp): +2 luck bonus on Initiative

Sandals of the Vagabond (CC) give the same bonus for only 4,000GP, and immunity to exhaustion too.

Maat Mons
2021-08-09, 11:15 PM
Heavy Fortification isn't bad to have.

I always like a Ring of Sustenance and Necklace of Adaptation, to never need to worry about breathing, drinking, or eating.

Some energy resistances could be nice.

Since you're flush with cash, buying Proof Against Transmutation (Complete Arcane, p142) might be worth it.

Since you're starting at 20th level, maybe you could start with 10 levels in Bone Knight (Five Nations, 117). That gets you immunity to stunning, nonlethal damage, extra damage from critical hits and sneak attacks, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, death effects, fatigue, exhaustion, ability damage to your physical ability scores, ability drain, energy drain, and death from massive damage. It also lets you fight without penalty when disabled or dying. That last bit is pretty awesome if you can find a way to make Delay Death (Spell Compendium, p63) eligible for Persistent Spell.

Biggus
2021-08-10, 12:02 PM

There isn't much in the arm slot for a Cleric.

Hands: Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane (MIC p.144) make your weapons count as silver vs damage reduction for 6,000GP. You might as well have also have +2 Dex here too as it's only 4,000GP, even if it won't increase your AC due to heavy armor it still gives +1 to initiative, reflex saves and ranged attacks.

Head: Circlet of Rapid Casting (MIC p.86) allows you to quicken a few low-level spells per day for the very reasonable price of 15,000GP. Horned Helm (MIC p.112) gives you an extra attack for 8,000GP, or 12,000GP if combined with the Circlet. Maybe also a Headband of Conscious Effort (MIC p.109) for 2,000GP or 3,000GP if combined with the others.

Don't forget weapon and armor crystals, they're great value. You'll probably want some metamagic rods as well.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-08-10, 12:29 PM
I've always been partial to a ML 15 psychoactive skin of proteus (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus) for at-will shapeshifting and healing. Excellent for utility, mobility, offense, defense, immunities, stealth, infiltration, and more. This is especially good if you're a warforged, so you can take construct forms (including animated objects, which can do so many things, depending on what object you want to be). If you've got Reserves of Strength and can use that to break the ML cap on metamorphosis, followed by boosting the item's ML even further, it's even better.

And if you can find someone to enhance your skin as a graft, it's even better. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?177889-Brainstorm-for-Psionic-Tricks-Tactics-and-Combos-Handbook&p=23285432&viewfull=1#post23285432)

Funny thing; this also allows you to ignore your physical ability scores while focusing on your mental ones. You never have to spend time in your original form, after all, especially if the psychoactive skin is a nonmagical Device, from Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood (which can't be dispelled or suppressed in an AMF).

Zhepna
2021-08-10, 04:57 PM
Check out my List of Useful Items (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sJRCphWkrtLm8Q6iD6_YPp00MggiAT556j9231uu5Lg/edit?usp=sharing). I have a bunch of great items on there sorted by cost. Scroll down to the super-expensive stuff and start going to town.

Thanks a lot for the list!
I saw Extradimensional Anchor that could interest me but I cannot find it online. The source says DC page 135. I find no book with this abreviation. I checked in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting but it seems it's not the source. Could you please tell me it's from which book?

Silly Name
2021-08-10, 05:02 PM
I saw Extradimensional Anchor that could interest me but I cannot find it online. The source says DC page 135. I find no book with this abreviation. I checked in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting but it seems it's not the source. Could you please tell me it's from which book?

It should be the Dragon Compendium, IIRC.

Troacctid
2021-08-10, 05:45 PM
Dragon Compendium.

(There's a source index in another page of the spreadsheet, as well as a tag reference.)

Maat Mons
2021-08-10, 06:43 PM
The most generally-useful arm-slot item is Bracers of Armor. Arms and Equipment Guide explicitly allows armor special abilities to be added to them. For that matter, so does Pathfinder.

If combining items is kosher, Wand Bracelet is a nice add-on.

The best armor special material, in my view, is oerthblood. Heavy armor made out of that provides the wearer with a +3 luck bonus to saving throws.

If you don't have anything else competing for your hand slot, Casting Glove is handy.

Heward's Fortifying bedroll isn't useful for a Cleric, since Clerics don't need to rest to regain spells.

tyckspoon
2021-08-10, 06:55 PM
Hi,

I joined a 3.5 game that everybody is lvl 20 with broken characters. I'll play cleric and I'm looking for good items. I'm a classic DMM persist cleric...

Anything that gives you increased resilience against Dispels and especially Disjunction - increased caster level effects, gluing a Ring of Spell Battle into one of your rings (nothing says fun like re-aiming a Disjunction on top of the guy who thought he was gonna strip your buff stack), keeping a Battlemagic Perception running, grabbing some Spellblades attuned to high-level Dispelling spells.

You have some MIC items already selected - hopefully that means your DM is on board with the MIC's rules for combining items (ie, officially confirms that you are expected to do it, and makes 'Big Six' traits exempt from the surcharge for combined item effects.) With that much gold you're either going to have to combine items or render stuff slotless to get everything you want, or you're going to pay excessive prices for specific existing items that just happen to already have one of the effects you want.

RNightstalker
2021-08-10, 07:00 PM
Body: is there benefit to use special metals? with Soulfire (+4: 16 000gp) Immunity to Death effects and/or energy drain and/or negative energy effects and Blueshine(+1) covers your weapon from all things that might destroy it, like acid or rust
Torso: shirts, tunics, vests, vestments. ???
Heward's Fortifying Bedroll (Complete Mage, 3,000 gp) Allows casters to regain spells with only one hour of sleep, rather than the usual 8.
Weapon:
Warning (MiC, pg 46, +1 bonus): +5 insight bonus to initiative when holding the weapon in question.
with the following Flat Rate Enhancement:

Arms: In the A&EG there's an optional rule that allows a PC to put defensive enchantments on Bracers of Armor, which will help make room for Fortification enchantment.
Body: Soulfire is a +4 cost, but never 16,000gp
Hands: Gloves of Fortunate Striking, Casting Glove, Truestrike Gauntets, Glove of Storing
Head: Headband of Conscious Effort
Throat: Amulet of Second Chances
Torso: Vest of Resistance

Slotless: Periapt of Wisdom isn't slotless, and Heward's Fortifying Bedroll only works with arcane casters.
Weapons: Depending on how far you want to go, put armor spikes on your armor (price out as weapons) and make those +1 with the eager and warning enchantments

What spells do you plan on persisting, and what kind of combat are you planning on? Do you know if there will be an Incantatrix in the group?

Jowgen
2021-08-10, 07:04 PM
You might be interested in some of the suggestion raised in my Best EXPENSIVE Magic Items (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?618734-Best-EXPENSIVE-Magic-Items) thread

Maat Mons
2021-08-10, 08:31 PM
Also, maybe run Gemstone of Fortification (Draconomicon, p83) by your DM.

Anthrowhale
2021-08-11, 06:22 AM
Maybe get a half-dozen belts of battle and swap them after every encounter?

Also, depending on the optimization level of the table, a vorpal weapon + Surge of Fortune + Sense Weakness is pretty impressive.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-08-11, 06:29 AM
To quote something I threw together for another thread:

<snip>

So what weapon combos truly put the 'legend' in legendary? Are there any?

The closest I can think of to something like this is a riverine +1 metalline/aptitude/skillful/morphing/sizing/vorpal sword enhanced as an energy bow (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) and also enhanced as a raptor arrow (for both returning and bane [everything]), with a stacked weapon crystal permanently set into it, which has a ton of weapon crystal abilities stacked on it for energy damage, ghost touch, throwing, quick draw, and so on, and enhanced via an acorn of far travel (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?546179-Un-Hallow-that-Stacks) permanently embedded into it with a +5 greater magic weapon effect and a bunch of other buffs tossed on (which, of course, includes repeating surge of fortune to always roll Nat 20s on every swing, bless weapon to auto-confirm crits against evil creatures, haste, and a ton of other very high level buffs whenever you hold it).

Effects vary, depending on exactly what buffs are set into it with the acorn of far travel/hallow combo, but at the very least you have the ultimate Swiss army knife of weapons, capable of turning into literally any kind of weapon you want, of any size you want, which produces its own ammo and kills any evil enemy you successfully hit with a vorpal strike. You might not be leveling any mountains, but at least you can one-hit kill evil stuff reliably, especially if you start stacking true strike and such.

Zhepna
2021-12-15, 08:22 PM
To quote something I threw together for another thread:

Do you have the amount of gp the weapon could cost? With the shuriken sharigan, it's probably not a lot but to be honest, this look quite intimidating to calculate.

Also, I don't find the rule that I could put +6 to wisdom or constitution for an additional 36 000gp on an item. Could someone tell me if it's right to put any +6 boost stat or an item for 36 000 gp or there are restriction?

Biggus
2021-12-15, 09:10 PM
Also, I don't find the rule that I could put +6 to wisdom or constitution for an additional 36 000gp on an item. Could someone tell me if it's right to put any +6 boost stat or an item for 36 000 gp or there are restriction?

MIC p.234. According to the new rules presented there, certain common items effects such as ability score boosts never incur the +50% penalty for having multiple special abilities on a single item. They also expand the slots to which they can be added (in this case, Wisdom can now go in the head or throat slot, and Constitution in the throat, torso or waist slot).

Peelee
2021-12-15, 09:17 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: You know what they say, money can't buy Necromancy.