PDA

View Full Version : Day watch

Dib Monkey
2007-11-15, 07:47 AM
Just watched 'Day watch' the excellent sequal to 'night watch' a russian vampire/dark arts film and wondered if anyone else had seen it?

I can't recommend the two films more. Apart from the intense sense of drama and unpredictable story, the origin and ideas are very removed from most films of its kind.

Even if you don't love it it'll be at the very least interesting and inspiring.

Miraqariftsky
2007-11-15, 07:53 AM
I've read three of the books--- Night Watch, Day Watch and Twilight Watch and watched only the first film on the television. Can't afford the moviehouse all that much, see.

Got questions, bub: is Anton Gorodetsky still alive in the film version of the Day Watch? Did they keep Egor as the alleged "Great Other"?

*wave "The book is better!" flag*

Dib Monkey
2007-11-15, 09:22 AM
In my ignorance I was unaware of the books entirely
*shame*

Anton's in Day watch and his son is considered a 'great one'

Don't want to say too much more for spoilage

I'll guess I'll go find some books

(on a similar note as a huge Neil Gaiman fan I've so far avoided watching stardust - very tempted but have a horrible feeling that I'm better off not seeing it)

WalkingTarget
2007-11-15, 10:43 AM
In my ignorance I was unaware of the books entirely
*shame*

Anton's in Day watch and his son is considered a 'great one'

Don't want to say too much more for spoilage

I'll guess I'll go find some books

(on a similar note as a huge Neil Gaiman fan I've so far avoided watching stardust - very tempted but have a horrible feeling that I'm better off not seeing it)

I saw both Watch films and enjoyed them both. I knew of the books, but have never read them

I saw Stardust as well, Dib, and I think it works. It has a much different vibe than the book, and there are several deviations that I don't think were completely necessary, but most of it can be chalked up to the needs of film being different than those of a novel. If you're able to divorce films from their original sources and watch it as its own thing, it's enjoyable. If you can't help but compare the two, you might be right in avoiding it.

webgem
2007-11-15, 10:51 AM
My girlfriend and I watched stardust and loved it, it was a really fun time. Haven't read the book though.

Argent
2007-11-15, 11:36 AM
I'm very much looking forward to seeing Daywatch. I enjoyed both the film and book versions of Nightwatch; it was one of the few times I enjoyed both the book and the movie, but in completely different ways. (Although I was disappointed with the book version of Daywatch; it just seemed a lot more thrown-together and hurried than Nighwatch did.)

Smeik
2007-11-15, 02:40 PM
It could be that some people who know the books don't enjoy the movies at all, because it tells a completely different story, taking place even in a bit of a different setting. They only share the characters by coincidence.

It is even mentioned in the latter books (Twilight Watch and Endless Watch, i think) by Anton and several other peoples that they dreamt sequences only happening in the film and joking about weird possible alternative dimensions.

At one time in the books, Anton talks about a dream about Jegor being his son and rebelling against him, then dismissing it in the next second. Talk about weird writing ;)

Although they are completely different, I enjoyed both the books and the movies, really good work.

Dib Monkey
2007-11-16, 07:52 AM
All sounds pretty interesting

I'll look em up and some point