PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Permanently Change Weapon to Cold Iron

Thurbane
2021-08-10, 06:50 PM
So, just something I've pondered a bit.

Enchanting cold iron weapons costs extra. What (economically viable) ways are there to change an existing magical weapon into one made of cold iron? To be clear, I'm talking about an actual change, not other methods of "counting as" cold iron (so not Metalline, Shadow Striking, class features etc.).

I had thought Dispel Magic + Polymorph Any Object might work, but PAO has a specific clause about cold iron.

Shaper of Form PrC looked promising, but to make the effect permanent, seems like a Wish or similar would be required, which blows any savings out of the water (excluding free Wish cheese, which I also want to avoid).

I'm an idiot. I was misreading the SoF Like Begets Like ability. If I combine it with Dispel Magic, it should work, with the caveat that the weapon cannot be more than double the value of the original - which is handy, because a Cold Iron weapon is double the value of a standard steel weapon.

Is there a 3.5 RAW way to do this? No PF, no Kalamar, no Ravenloft, no Dragonlance (other than Campaign Setting), no 3rd party, no homebrew, and ideally no Dragon or Dungeon mag material. I would also prefer to avoid psionics, Artificers, and incarnum, in case it matters.

Ideally, also trying to avoid extreme cheese. Some cheese is fine, but things like Pun Pun, binding Wish granting creatures, Shapechanging into a Zodar etc. are too much.

Can it be done? Is there something easy I've over looked? The main goal is permanently transforming the weapon, not workarounds.

Kind of answered my own question already, but I'm happy to look at other options.

Cheers - T

Zanos
2021-08-10, 10:43 PM
PAO can't create cold iron, but it can affect it. Could you not just transform it into normal iron(or steel, whatever 3.5 weapons are made of by default), enchant it, then dispel the polymorph?

Thurbane
2021-08-10, 11:07 PM
PAO can't create cold iron, but it can affect it. Could you not just transform it into normal iron(or steel, whatever 3.5 weapons are made of by default), enchant it, then dispel the polymorph?

That...is something I hadn't even considered. Might be a much easier solution than others.

Thank you. :smallsmile: