PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Necromancer Class for 5e - PEACH

Oramac
2021-08-11, 01:05 PM
Greetings! I humbly submit this 5e Necromancer class for your critique. If you want to skip the fluff, the link is at the bottom of the post.

That said, there’s a couple things to note here.

- This is intended to be specific to my homebrew world: Calypso. As such, there are some unique references to that world. None of it should make any difference in understanding, but it’s good to keep in mind.
- I personally think that most of the 5e level 20 capstone features are woefully underpowered. My capstone features here are probably overpowered. That is intentional. Having said that, please offer criticism of them as you would anything else.
- There are additional homebrew spells at the end of the description that I would love feedback on
- I'm particularly interested in thoughts on the spell list. Currently, it is intentionally small. I'm not opposed to adding spells to the list, but want it to feel thematically correct.

In Calypso, the world was attacked by hordes of demons and devils around 900-1000 years ago. The Great War (as it is now called) lasted for about 500 years. During the War, every advantage was needed, and the mortal races allowed some few to practice the arts of Necromancy as another tool with which to combat the fiends. The War ended only with the direct intervention of the gods. The 12 deities of Calypso physically joined the fight to drive back the fiendish hordes, ending the War and ushering in the Age of Immortals, during which the deities walked the land with the mortal races. Inexplicably, the deities vanished a little over 100 years ago, ending the Age of Immortals.

Link:
https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-MfV5fWkoPv8gy1g6i3p

BerzerkerUnit
2021-08-11, 05:45 PM
I like most of what I see. Some things:

General: I don’t see anything that boosts Create Undead.

Dread Rites: feels front loaded at 3 and 2 more over 20 levels I’d go 2 and then ~1/5
-Assert Dominance should be level gated ~9th.

Features and Subclass features-
Features with variable continuous effects are, respectfully, not fun. Example: Scythe 20, maybe a +1, maybe a +6. So 30% of the time it’s used it will have only a marginal benefit (+1-2) particularly at 20th when it may only see use once ever. It would feel pretty disappointing to roll the one in the climactic final battle. +1d6 on every attack and damage roll would feel better by far for the same net effect.

Skullslinger 14 feels weak. There are a half dozen great ways to spend hit dice and some fractional damage as a reaction to a melee hit (a place you never want to be as a d6 caster) feels like a ribbon when Wizard and Bard schools are getting capstones.

Summoner 1 appears to have no mechanical effect. It creates a creature that seemingly has no rules governing how it benefits you, and indeed is written in such a way it might choose to be useless.

Summoner 6- that variable effect again, and this time biting harshly into max hp by up to 30% (based on build and level acquired). You spend the hit dice and may either get a “sure, neato” effect or a “behold the Titans at my command!” Effect and even that loses a lot of its impressiveness as you level. I’ve been a huge fan of Wizard Necromancer 6, I see no reason not to steal it here.

Summoner 14 I like, maybe add that with Summon Undead you can Summon a Poltergeist instead? The synergy with the 24hour summon Dread Rite might be a bit much there, but Simulacrum is out there so I don’t think it’s that big a deal.

Overall, I like it.

Oramac
2021-08-11, 09:22 PM
I like most of what I see. Some things:

General: I don’t see anything that boosts Create Undead.

Good call. I'll have to add something for that.

Dread Rites: feels front loaded at 3 and 2 more over 20 levels I’d go 2 and then ~1/5

Again, good call. I changed it to 2 at 3rd, and two again at 9th, and two at 15th level. So overall you gain 6 instead of 5, but it's more spread out.

-Assert Dominance should be level gated ~9th.

Done. Absolutely right.

Features and Subclass features-
Features with variable continuous effects are, respectfully, not fun. Example: Scythe 20, maybe a +1, maybe a +6. So 30% of the time it’s used it will have only a marginal benefit (+1-2) particularly at 20th when it may only see use once ever. It would feel pretty disappointing to roll the one in the climactic final battle. +1d6 on every attack and damage roll would feel better by far for the same net effect.

IDK if I agree here. I suppose this will need to be playtested. Yes, rolling a 1 on a d6 feels bad, but at the same time, even a +1 when you already likely have a +3 weapon is a huge bonus, especially with bounded accuracy. That said, a flat bonus might feel better for the player. IDK.

Skullslinger 14 feels weak. There are a half dozen great ways to spend hit dice and some fractional damage as a reaction to a melee hit (a place you never want to be as a d6 caster) feels like a ribbon when Wizard and Bard schools are getting capstones.

Yea......I'm not sure what else to do here. If I'm being honest, the Skullslinger was the most difficult subclass to write.

Summoner 1 appears to have no mechanical effect. It creates a creature that seemingly has no rules governing how it benefits you, and indeed is written in such a way it might choose to be useless.

A good point. Another friend of mine pointed out that I need to add AC/HP/saves/etc. to the Advisor to give it a little more mechanical benefit. Perhaps also adding the dodge/help actions or some such as well.

Summoner 6- that variable effect again, and this time biting harshly into max hp by up to 30% (based on build and level acquired). You spend the hit dice and may either get a “sure, neato” effect or a “behold the Titans at my command!” Effect and even that loses a lot of its impressiveness as you level. I’ve been a huge fan of Wizard Necromancer 6, I see no reason not to steal it here.

Yea I definitely get your point. OTOH, I don't want to just steal another classes feature. That just feels cheap to me. I'd honestly considered that before coming up with this one. And if I'm honest, the whole point is that you make a decision between your own health and the health/effectiveness of your minions. Again, I see your point about variable benefits. For the Scythe, to a point I agree. In this case I'm not sure I do. Perhaps playtesting will iron this out as well.

Summoner 14 I like, maybe add that with Summon Undead you can Summon a Poltergeist instead? The synergy with the 24hour summon Dread Rite might be a bit much there, but Simulacrum is out there so I don’t think it’s that big a deal.

Are you talking about the L14 feature or L20? The 14 feature specifies animate dead, where the 20 feature uses summon undead. Assuming you mean the 20 feature, I did think of that, but decided that for a capstone it was ok. My thought here is that most capstones are weak. Certainly too weak to incentivize a player to stick with a single class all the way to 20th level. I know in pretty much all of my games, my players multiclass long before they hit 20 because the capstone isn't worth the effort to get it.

Overall, I like it.

Thank you!! That means a lot to me. I certainly have a lot of work ahead of me to get this play-ready, and a lot of playtesting after that, but I do appreciate the thoughts and insight.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-11, 11:30 PM
Initial thoughts (TL;DR at the bottom):

It's a little odd that multiclassing into Necromancer gives you all simple weapon proficiencies, while single classed Necromancers will only have a few choices. The classes in the PHB that offer limited weapon selections less than all simple (druid, sorceror, wizard) just straight up don't offer weapon proficiencies at all when you multiclass into them, and I'd probably recommend the same thing here.
Weird having fog cloud as the sample spell in the spellcasting description section when it's not even on their spell list. :smalltongue:
I've got to say that that 8 level hole between subclass features (6th to 14th level) is really, really rough. Rogues have it bad enough, and that's only 6 levels between 3rd and 9th levels (though at least you wait until after 6th level to smack them with the Great Divide).
So let me know if I'm understanding Sacrificial Life correctly: You gain the ability to burn HD (though specifically only ones granted by this class) to fuel certain class abilities. You regain all HD burnt this way after a LR, and if you use your last one, you take damage equal to 3 x your Necromancer level.
For the second half of Ritual Spells, you don't really get any tier-defining spells at 5th level, so you could likely just allow it to ritual cast 1 spell per SR straight up, instead of tying a cost to it. If I can ask, what's the point behind the halved time for ritual casting? If you've got the time to wait for 5 minutes to cast a ritual spell, it's an exceedingly small frame of opportunities that you wouldn't be able to wait 10 minutes instead.
Endurance of the Grave is... something. I'm not sure how I feel about straight up immunity to one of the more esoteric conditions, especially one that's designed specifically to be be hard to get rid of. Consider that the only way to really get of it is either greater restoration or taking a LR, both of which only remove 1 level. Compare to Tireless (the Ranger 10 feature) from TCoE which lets you remove exhaustion levels on a SR in addition to the above methods.
Beserker Unit already mentioned the Dread Rites progression as funky, and I see that you agree with them, so no further commentary is needed there.
Summoner 2's feature is... bad. Might I suggest making it a feature closer to find familiar, a spell which I notice is definitely lacking from the Necromancer spell list? Having a class feature be independent and not beholden to you feels weird, especially since as written, it's a purely fluff feature. At least the Pactlock's Improved Familiar has rules governing it (notably the greater familiar rules, hence my suggestion above).
Summoner 6's ability seems a little harsh. I'd probably eliminate the cost and just add your proficiency modifier to the AC/attack/damage of the summoned undead, and your class level to the HP of it. Limit the bonus to your Intelligence modifier of undead (or a single casting of the spell), to keep it from getting out of hand if necessary.
Summoner 18's Singular Purpose can probably drop the requirement of 10 feet: at that level, you're not likely to face anything that can Turn Undead anyways, and they're disposable minions. Just give 'em all flat-out immunity to being turned (only if they're improved by the 6th level feature, if you feel like it needs to be nerfed anyways).
Summoner 20 is... yeah. You said that you liked OP capstones, and summoning a CR 17 is definitely OP, even if you're expending a 3rd level spell to use it.
Skullslinger 2 should probably also exclude constructs from it's THP bonus (as most spells related to healing of 'life energy' tend to exclude both of those).
Skullslinger 14 feels a little weak. From what I can read of the fluff, this is the Blaster subclass, focused on dealing damage at a distance, but this is purely retributive damage within 15 feet (accounting for reach melee attacks). Doesn't feel like it really fits, you know?
Skullslinger 18 give you a worse version of the Evocation Wizard 2's Sculpt Spells as the first half, while the second half feels a lot more appropriate, giving them a -1 to -6 penalty on the save (which Legendary Creatures will laugh at, but they'd do that regardless).
Scythe 2 gives you proficiency in martial weapons, but you technically don't have proficiency in all simple weapons, which feels... weird. It also gives you medium armor without giving you light armor.
Scythe 6's Necrotic Blade seems to be the only Sacrifice Life feature that doesn't actually hurt you - is that intentional or an oversight?
Scythe 14's Ghostly Scythe can probably do away with the randomness for regained HP and set a flat number - maybe something like Int mod? Average of 2d4 is 5 anyways, and this is high enough level that you're probably going to have maxed that out.
Scythe 18's feature is worded a little awkwardly; can you steal the text from slow instead? It's a high enough level that a similar thing wouldn't be too out of place, specifically the bit about "On its turn, it can use either an action or a bonus action, not both. Regardless of the creature's abilities or magic items, it can't make more than one melee or ranged attack during its turn."
Scythe 20's fluff implies that you're barely hovering above the ground, but the mechanical bits gives you outright flight. Also hilariously OP, so I won't bother with mentioning that from now on. :smallwink:
Undead Divination 2's ability has the potential to kill you outright. Maximum of 40 damage, while the HP average of a Necromancer assuming a 16 in Constitution is 16 hit points at 2nd level. No matter how hilarious that would be (reminiscent of the Wild Magic sorceror), it's probably not great design? You could probably cut out the drawback and limit it to once per SR and you'd be good. It's your 2nd level feature, your defining example of what the subclass is, and it's... yeah. Maybe toss in guidance as well? Too bad that Spirits Bard covers a lot of the same bases as this subclass.
UD 14's Ghostly Foresight of all things is where I'd have expected it to be powered by Sacrifice Life, but it's simply a free feature. Is it meant to be used after you know the result, but before it's declared a success or failure, or just granting advantage? I could read it either way, though the wording implies the former.
UD 18's feature is a little crazy. Average of 1d6 would be a +3 modifier to all spell attack rolls and spell save DCs, which is really nice.
I'm afraid that I don't understand UD 20's Séance. So you summon a ghostly spirit guide of sorts for 1d6 days, but you permanently learn up to 3 proficiencies per time that you cast it? Oh, and it's also got all of the knowledge that it knew in life, but is under no compulsion to not lie, but it is compelled to teach you the proficiencies?
Blood Magic 6's second feature only applies if you have the Healer feat, which is kinda lame, no offense.
BM 14's Blood Shield is the only Necromancer feature that's multiclass friendly in regards to what kind of HD can be spent to fuel it.
BM 18's feature is... you know what, I'll include it in my closing thoughts later.
Blood Lust is just bad, I'm sorry. You're attacking a monster, which in 5E means bloated HP, and you take damage equal to it, which is compounded by your d6 HD. This is a trap option.
I think what you're trying to say for Blood Magic (which should probably have a different name, given that that's the name of one of your subclasses) is that you must expend a HD for each level of the spell, not the level at which you cast the spell? You'll probably want to specify as well that expensive components aren't negated either, unless you want Shenanigans.
Why is there a level requirement on Bloody Regeneration? This seems like the sort of thing that a squishy d6 class would want ASAP, to help with the scary early levels.
Corpse Explosion should probably have some sort of limiter on it, either body size or uses per day, because I could see Shenanigans here for unlimited AoE damage (given the stated damage values here) combined with bags of holding and similar stuff.
Honestly, I'd make Final Retribution either succeed instantly or straight up give them HP. Compare to spare the dying, and this is not only one of your even-fewer-than-cantrip choices, but you also limit it to a single use per SR. I'd probably switch the level requirements for this and Bloody Regen, and let the downed creature regain HP equal to half the necrotic damage dealt by the ability.
I'm not a fan of having only a single subclass-specific Dread Rite. You're really hammering in the healing aspect of the subclass.
Regiment Trained gives a large portion of the subclass benefits to any Necromancer who takes it. For the Dread Rites that don't require a level, I'd probably look towards Invocations as a balancing point (as I get the feeling that these are the equivalent). This gives a lot of stuff for a low cost.
Undead Control is great, though I feel like you're a little conservative here. I'd probably block access to casting summon undead again, but as written you're telling them to either stick with one undead or have a swarm. If it improved the base creature, I'd say that it's a fair trade, but only removing concentration and increasing the duration doesn't seem like a great trade for completely blocking access to the others for a feature that requires 13th level.
I'd probably use Voices of the Grave to compel creatures under the effect of the speak with dead feature to speak truthfully, or at least not be able to lie (though they can misdirect you) instead of affecting more creatures. And just straight up add the spell to your list, not make it useful only while you have this and the spell.
Flaming Skull is strictly superior to fire bolt. Just saying. Power Creep away!
Strangulation probably doesn't need the text about holding their breath; it only lasts 1 round anyways. Blood strangulation doesn't care if you hold your breath anyways, and it's much more effective that a tracheal strangulation.

Okay, so I had more thoughts than I thought that I would. :smallredface:

Overall, interesting class. Reminds me a little of the old Dread Necromancer (though that had a more 'becoming undead' and pseudo-gish schtick that I loved) with a heavier focus on manipulating the forces of undeath rather than sinking into them.

Overall class thoughts first. Copying the Sorceror spell mechanics is always risky; the biggest complaint about that scheme is that you don't have enough spells known, and to be frank you suffer from the same thing here. Especially with the tight spell focus (which I love, but does hinder it as a class), you're basically going to have about half of the spells being chosen all of the time and the other half never touched. This isn't a judgment on you; rather it's 5E and trying to limit the spells in this edition. Which I approve of - 3.5E got a little crazy with the sheer amount of spells available, and power creep blew them up, while 5E is actually relatively stable (with a few outliers).

I'm not a fan of the Sacrificial Life mechanic at all - one of the reasons that I ban the Blood Hunter is the self-inflicted damage. With no internal way to reliably heal themselves (outside of the Blood Magic subclass) and your HD heavily encouraged to be spent on class features rather than using to heal up over a SR, a Necromancer is going to dancing the line between life and death (and not in a thematic way) and relying on their party to heal them. Letting Blood Magic 18 regain some HD is weird and too late; it only allows you to regain HD specifically thrown into class features. At the rate that you use this feature, I'd almost recommend that you create a new resource specifically for use with the class features, à la Sorcery Points.

You've got 5 subclasses, and a few of them (notably Undead Divination) are pretty unremarkable. I'd prefer to see fewer, tighter subclasses so you're not reaching for features (which it does feel like here). You could toss the left over features into more Dread Rites if you're worried about losing a feature that you really love.

TL;DR is that it's an interesting little class. It incorporates some elements of the Necromancer Wizard and Death Cleric and ties it up in a neat little bow. That being said, I do think that it suffers from being too specific of a class, some questionable mechanical choices and weakly-defined subclasses that don't feel iconic enough. Scythe does a great job as establishing itself as the Warrior, and Summoner (eventually) establishes itself as the Master of Minions. Skullslinger is the Blaster, but it feels like you just tossed damage-boosting abilities on it and called it a day. Undead Divination... honestly, this whole subclass could be excised and replaced with a series of Dread Rites. Blood Magic I actually really do appreciate the theming of, but it fails with the fact that to define that role so strongly, nearly all of the actual class features that you'll see are hyper-focused on healing. And on a class that's called the Necromancer, it feels a little off.

Oramac
2021-08-12, 12:03 PM

snip

Holy cow! Thank you for the thoughts. I'll come back in a little while and give a proper reply. Currently I'm going through and redesigning the class with most of this.

JNAProductions
2021-08-12, 12:11 PM
GMBinder always screws up on my laptop.

Can you post it in this thread itself? There's a useful thread on Preset Tables (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?521278-Preset-Class-Tables-for-5e-Homebrew) to make it easier.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-12, 12:19 PM
Holy cow! Thank you for the thoughts. I'll come back in a little while and give a proper reply. Currently I'm going through and redesigning the class with most of this.

Be sure to take everything that I say with a hefty serving of caution, mind you. I don't claim to be an expert; JNA below (above?) me here is probably a much better person to consult, not gonna lie.

JNAProductions
2021-08-12, 12:32 PM
Be sure to take everything that I say with a hefty serving of caution, mind you. I don't claim to be an expert; JNA below (above?) me here is probably a much better person to consult, not gonna lie.

Aw thanks. :)

And don't discount yourself! I've got experience, true, but that also means I've got a more solidified viewpoint. Other people can easily spot stuff that I just completely miss.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-12, 12:41 PM
Aw thanks. :)

And don't discount yourself! I've got experience, true, but that also means I've got a more solidified viewpoint. Other people can easily spot stuff that I just completely miss.

I mean, I'm (surprisingly) confident in my own work, but I always cringe at how I know that I can come off, and I know that not everyone operates on the same wavelength that I do in regards to "balance".

You're much nicer about feedback than I am. combine that with your not-insignificant mountain of homebrew behind you, and you're the better option. :smalltongue:

Oramac
2021-08-12, 04:43 PM
It's a little odd that multiclassing into Necromancer gives you all simple weapon proficiencies, while single classed Necromancers will only have a few choices. The classes in the PHB that offer limited weapon selections less than all simple (druid, sorceror, wizard) just straight up don't offer weapon proficiencies at all when you multiclass into them, and I'd probably recommend the same thing here.

Originally, the class started with light armor proficiency. I removed this and updated the multiclass stuff.

I've got to say that that 8 level hole between subclass features (6th to 14th level) is really, really rough. Rogues have it bad enough, and that's only 6 levels between 3rd and 9th levels (though at least you wait until after 6th level to smack them with the Great Divide).

I agree. I have a plan for this, but I'm going to wait to change it until I get everything else more or less sorted out. Plan is to move the L14 archetype feature to L11, the L15 Dread Rite increase to L14, and the L11 blank space to L15. If that makes sense. :D

So let me know if I'm understanding Sacrificial Life correctly: You gain the ability to burn HD (though specifically only ones granted by this class) to fuel certain class abilities. You regain all HD burnt this way after a LR, and if you use your last one, you take damage equal to 3 x your Necromancer level.

That about covers it, yea.

For the second half of Ritual Spells, you don't really get any tier-defining spells at 5th level, so you could likely just allow it to ritual cast 1 spell per SR straight up, instead of tying a cost to it. If I can ask, what's the point behind the halved time for ritual casting? If you've got the time to wait for 5 minutes to cast a ritual spell, it's an exceedingly small frame of opportunities that you wouldn't be able to wait 10 minutes instead.

Halving the time seemed fitting. You're right that it's unlikely to make that big a difference, but not every feature can be amazing! :P I suppose I could drop this and put one of the less combat focused Rites here.

Endurance of the Grave is... something. I'm not sure how I feel about straight up immunity to one of the more esoteric conditions, especially one that's designed specifically to be be hard to get rid of. Consider that the only way to really get of it is either greater restoration or taking a LR, both of which only remove 1 level. Compare to Tireless (the Ranger 10 feature) from TCoE which lets you remove exhaustion levels on a SR in addition to the above methods.

Yea. I love this feature thematically. I feel like it fits the theme and the class perfectly. But I can also see the potential shenanigans too. I don't want to just steal the Ranger feature, though. That's just cheap.

Skullslinger 14 feels a little weak. From what I can read of the fluff, this is the Blaster subclass, focused on dealing damage at a distance, but this is purely retributive damage within 15 feet (accounting for reach melee attacks). Doesn't feel like it really fits, you know?

This is similar to the Storm Sorc 14th level feature. I didn't want to copy it exactly (see above), but it does encourage enemies to stay at range.

Undead Divination 2's ability has the potential to kill you outright. Maximum of 40 damage, while the HP average of a Necromancer assuming a 16 in Constitution is 16 hit points at 2nd level. No matter how hilarious that would be (reminiscent of the Wild Magic sorceror), it's probably not great design? You could probably cut out the drawback and limit it to once per SR and you'd be good. It's your 2nd level feature, your defining example of what the subclass is, and it's... yeah. Maybe toss in guidance as well? Too bad that Spirits Bard covers a lot of the same bases as this subclass.

Honestly, that's kinda the point. You can use it twice between rests without issue. But if you try to peer beyond the veil of death too often, you risk dying yourself.

I'm afraid that I don't understand UD 20's Séance. So you summon a ghostly spirit guide of sorts for 1d6 days, but you permanently learn up to 3 proficiencies per time that you cast it? Oh, and it's also got all of the knowledge that it knew in life, but is under no compulsion to not lie, but it is compelled to teach you the proficiencies?

Some good points. I addressed these in v2.

Undead Control is great, though I feel like you're a little conservative here. I'd probably block access to casting summon undead again, but as written you're telling them to either stick with one undead or have a swarm. If it improved the base creature, I'd say that it's a fair trade, but only removing concentration and increasing the duration doesn't seem like a great trade for completely blocking access to the others for a feature that requires 13th level.

You get an almost permanent pet that's strictly better than the beastmaster ranger, and this is weak? I guess I don't understand your reasoning here. But yea, the whole point is for the player to choose one big summon versus a bunch of little ones.

I'd probably use Voices of the Grave to compel creatures under the effect of the speak with dead feature to speak truthfully, or at least not be able to lie (though they can misdirect you) instead of affecting more creatures. And just straight up add the spell to your list, not make it useful only while you have this and the spell.

I'm thinking about making a new Rite to take care of the "speak truthfully" thing.

Overall class thoughts first. Copying the Sorceror spell mechanics is always risky; the biggest complaint about that scheme is that you don't have enough spells known, and to be frank you suffer from the same thing here. Especially with the tight spell focus (which I love, but does hinder it as a class), you're basically going to have about half of the spells being chosen all of the time and the other half never touched. This isn't a judgment on you; rather it's 5E and trying to limit the spells in this edition. Which I approve of - 3.5E got a little crazy with the sheer amount of spells available, and power creep blew them up, while 5E is actually relatively stable (with a few outliers).

I suppose I could just change it to a prepared casting class. That wouldn't really affect the rest of it too awful much.

I'm not a fan of the Sacrificial Life mechanic at all - one of the reasons that I ban the Blood Hunter is the self-inflicted damage. With no internal way to reliably heal themselves (outside of the Blood Magic subclass) and your HD heavily encouraged to be spent on class features rather than using to heal up over a SR, a Necromancer is going to dancing the line between life and death (and not in a thematic way) and relying on their party to heal them. Letting Blood Magic 18 regain some HD is weird and too late; it only allows you to regain HD specifically thrown into class features. At the rate that you use this feature, I'd almost recommend that you create a new resource specifically for use with the class features, à la Sorcery Points.

We must have different groups. lol. All the players I know so rarely use their hit dice that they may as well not exist.

It occurs to me that I could make the L18 Blood Magic feature into a Rite so that the other subclasses could get it too. Perhaps with a L11 prerequisite?

You've got 5 subclasses, and a few of them (notably Undead Divination) are pretty unremarkable. I'd prefer to see fewer, tighter subclasses so you're not reaching for features (which it does feel like here). You could toss the left over features into more Dread Rites if you're worried about losing a feature that you really love.

So when I was researching the class, and necromancy in general, I found that it's only been very recently that the practice has been associated with summoning and raising undead. Before then, it was all about communicating with the dead and doctoring on people with medicines and such from death. I loved that idea and definitely want to incorporate it into the class. The School of Undead Divination was how I did that. I REALLY don't want to drop the school, but I suppose it's always a possibility.

GMBinder always screws up on my laptop.

Can you post it in this thread itself? There's a useful thread on Preset Tables (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?521278-Preset-Class-Tables-for-5e-Homebrew) to make it easier.

The 'full caster + spells known' code in that link doesn't appear to be copy-able. I'll just post the class here. Give me a minute though.

EDIT: I also started a changelog for the versions. The log can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T2Mdy28et9aK5trk42vYZrZz80f9oI-FwXkVt8m-ik8/edit?usp=sharing

Oramac
2021-08-12, 04:57 PM
# The Necromancer

A High Elf stands on a bluff overlooking the battle below. Her allies are being slaughtered, and she must intervene. Summoning necromantic energies from the ether, she raises her fallen allies and turns the tide of battle.

A fierce orc wades into battle wielding a fearsome scythe. As he cuts through swaths of enemies, he uses their life essence as fuel to continue his rampage.

A halfling chants a special prayer to the dead, raising long dead spirits and gleaning insight from the knowledge of their past lives.

#### Often Misunderstood and Sometimes Hated

Necromancy is almost universally hated and reviled. Even so, there are those who are fascinated by its use and the oft forbidden magics that go with it. Those who study the inner workings of raising the dead, for whatever reason, must always have care when pursuing their craft, never knowing the reaction those around them may have. Though often seen as an evil act, there are those who aim to do good with their necromantic spells, even going so far as to swear never to raise a corpse, instead relying on the life-stealing power of their spells to regain life energy. Still other necromancers focus their energy on divining the knowledge and wisdom of the dead. These great minds choose to learn from their ancestors in the most direct way possible.

#### Necromancers in Calypso

Necromancers in the world of Calypso most often worship Kremation, though they are not required to do so. Their allegiance is their own to choose, and while many pursue noble goals, some seek knowledge and power for their own evil ends.

Many who follow the necromantic arts don't summon or control undead; rather they seek out those who would corrupt the order of life and death. They know that death is not an end, but a new beginning, and they seek to swiftly carry death to those who have it coming.

During the Great War, most necromancers focused on dealing necrotic damage to the fiendish armies invading the realm, as well as raising the fallen to beat back the seemingly endless tide of demons pouring through the gate. Since the war's end, necromancers have expanded their learning to include damage of nearly any type and skills more suited to a world at peace.

<div class='classTable wide'>

##### The Necromancer
| Level | Proficiency Bonus | Features | Cantrips Known | Spells Known | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th |
|:---:|:---:|:---|:---:|:---:|:---:|:---:|:---:|:---:|:---:|:---:|:---:|:---:|:---:|:---:|
| 1st | +2 | Spellcasting, Death Lore | 2 | 2 | 2 | — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — |
| 2nd | +2 | Necromaner's School; Sacrificial Life | 2 | 3 | 3 | — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — |
| 3rd | +2 | Dread Rites (2) | 2 | 4 | 3 | 2 | — | — | — | — | — | — | — |
| 4th | +2 | Ability Score Improvement | 3 | 5 | 4 | 3 | — | — | — | — | — | — | — |
| 5th | +3 | Ritual Spaces | 3 | 6 | 4 | 3 | 2 | — | — | — | — | — | — |
| 6th | +3 | Archetype Feature | 3 | 7 | 4 | 3 | 3 | — | — | — | — | — | — |
| 7th | +3 | Seeker after Knowledge | 3 | 8 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 | — | — | — | — | — |
| 8th | +3 | Ability Score Improvement | 3 | 9 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | — | — | — | — | — |
| 9th | +4 | Dread Rites (4) | 3 | 10 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 | — | — | — | — |
| 10th | +4 | Endurance of the Grave | 4 | 11 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | — | — | — | — |
| 11th | +4 | — | 4 | 12 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | — | — | — |
| 12th | +4 | Ability Score Improvement | 4 | 12 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | — | — | — |
| 13th | +5 | — | 4 | 13 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 1 | — | — |
| 14th | +5 | Archetype Feature | 4 | 13 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 1 | — | — |
| 15th | +5 | Dread Rites (6) | 4 | 14 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 1 | — |
| 16th | +5 | Ability Score Improvement | 4 | 14 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 1 | — |
| 17th | +6 | — | 4 | 15 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 |
| 18th | +6 | Archetype Feature | 4 | 15 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 |
| 19th | +6 | Ability Score Improvement | 4 | 15 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 1 |
| 20th | +6 | Archetype Capstone | 4 | 15 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 1 |
</div>

#### Creating a Necromancer

When creating a necromancer, think about why you chose to pursue this restricted form of magic, and how you learned. Did you want to learn from your ancestors at the Black Rose? Or perhaps you wanted to emulate your progenitors in the Arcanum. Did you decide to take up study in secret, without formal acknowledgment or permission?

#### Quick Build

You can build a Necromancer quickly by following these suggestions. First, Intelligence should be your highest ability score, followed by Constitution. Second, choose the Acolyte or Hermit background.

### Class Features
As a Necromancer, you gain the following class features.

#### Hit Points

**Hit Dice:** 1d6 per Necromancer Level

**Hit points at 1st level:** 6 + your Constitution modifier

**Hit points at higher levels:** 1d6 (or 4) + your Constitution modifier per Necromancer level after first.

#### Proficiencies

**Armor:** None

**Weapons:** Dagger, Quarterstaff, Sickle, Scythe (Glaive)

**Tools:** None

**Saving Throws:** Intelligence, Wisdom

**Skills:** Choose two from Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Religion, and Survival

**Multiclass:** Necromancers require a score of 13 Intelligence.

#### Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) a scythe (glaive), or (b) a sickle
- (a) a component pouch or (b) a spellcasting focus
- (a) a Dungeoneer’s pack or (b) an Explorer’s Pack

#### Spellcasting:
See chapter 10 for the general rules of spellcasting and the end of this class description for the necromancer spell list.

**Cantrips**
At 1st level, you know two cantrips of your choice from the necromancer spell list. You learn additional necromancer cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the necromancer table.

**Spell Slots**
The necromancer table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these necromancer spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest. For example, if you know the 1st-level spell *Fog Cloud* and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast *Fog Cloud* using either slot.

**Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher**
You know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the necromancer spell list. The Spells Known column of the necromancer table shows when you learn more necromancer spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 3rd level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level. Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the necromancer spells you know and replace it with another spell from the necromancer spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

**Spellcasting Ability**
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your necromancer spells, since the power of your magic relies on your ability to interpret and coerce the forces of life and death. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a necromancer spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

**Spell save DC** = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

**Spell attack modifier** = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

**Spellcasting Focus**
You can use an arcane focus (found in chapter 5) as a spellcasting focus for your necromancer spells. Many necromancers prefer to use a bleached skull or small talisman as a focus, though you may choose whatever fits your character.

#### Ritual Casting
You can cast a necromancer spell that you know as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag.

#### Death Lore

At 1st level, your knowledge of life and death gives you heightened knowledge of undeath. You have advantage on Intelligence (Arcana) and Intelligence (Religion) checks related to necromancy, undeath, and the occult.

#### Necromancer's School

At 2nd level, you choose a magical school to follow. You may choose the School of the Summoner, School of the Skullslinger, School of the Scythe, School of Undead Divination, or the School of Blood Magic. This choice grants you features at 2nd level, and again at 6th, 14th, 18th, and 20th levels.

#### Sacrificial Life

Also at 2nd level, you are able to channel your life essence into your necromantic magic. Several Necromancer features require the use of one or more Necromancer hit dice, as detailed in the feature description. Hit dice expended for these features are unavailable for any other purpose, and are regained upon completion of a long rest. If you expend your last hit die to fuel a necromancer spell or feature, you take necrotic damage equal to three times your necromancer level. Damage or detrimental effects you suffer as a result of expending a necromancer hit die cannot be reduced or avoided in any way.

#### Dread Rites

In your study of life and death, you have unearthed Dread Rites, fragments of knowledge that imbue you with an abiding magical ability.

At 3rd level, you gain two Dread Rite options of your choice. Your Rite options are detailed at the end of the class description. You gain two additional Dread Rites at 9th level, and two again at 15th level.

Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the Rites you know and replace it with another of your choice.

#### Ritual Spaces

At 5th level, your knowledge of rituals and their symbols, circles, and components increases. You may cast any necromancer spell with the ritual tag as a ritual in half the normal time.

Alternatively, you may expend and roll a necromancer hit die to cast a necromancer ritual spell as an action. You take necrotic damage equal to the number rolled. Once used, you cannot use this feature to cast a ritual as an action again until you complete a short or long rest.

#### Seeker after Knowledge

At 7th level, your ability to seek out the knowledge you need grows. You have advantage on Intelligence (Investigation) checks to search for information in a library, study, athenaeum, or other similar place.

#### Endurance of the Grave

By 10th level your study of the workings of death and undeath gives you exceptional endurance. You are immune to exhaustion.

## Necromantic Schools

### School of the Summoner

While necromancers of other schools may dabble in summoning undead, those following the School of the Summoner seek to master it. Their focus falls on their minions, sometimes to the detriment of their own physical self.

#### Undead Familiar

When you follow this School at 2nd level, you gain the ability to summon a ghastly, floating undead skull to follow you on your travels; your Undead Familiar. You gain the *find familiar* spell, and it does not count against your total number of spells known. When summoned, your familiar takes the form of a ghastly, floating skull. The skull has a fly speed equal to your walking speed and may hover. It otherwise follows the rules and statistics of the familiar choices listed in the spell description.

Additionally, you may speak and converse with the skull. It is friendly to you and knows basic lore of the world and undeath. The skull cannot lie to you, but its answers may be cryptic or incomplete.

#### Powerful Dead

Upon reaching 6th level, you are able to sacrifice your own life essence to create more powerful minions. Upon creating, raising, or summoning an undead creature via any spell or feature, you may choose to expend up to two necromancer hit dice. Roll the dice and record the number rolled. Both your current and maximum hit points are reduced by the number rolled. Additionally, undead creatures summoned in this way gain a bonus to their AC, attack, and damage rolls equal to half the number rolled (rounded down, minimum 1), and gain current and maximum hit points equal to the number rolled. Once used, you cannot regain your maximum hit points nor the expended hit dice until you complete a long rest.

#### Advanced Animation

Upon reaching 14th level, your ability to summon undead is unmatched. You gain the *animate dead* spell, and it does not count against your total number of spells known. When you cast *animate dead*, you may choose to create a **Ghast** (the stats for which can be found in the *Monster Manual*) instead of a zombie or skeleton with each corpse or pile of bones.

#### Singular Purpose

By 18th level, your summoned undead become nearly unstoppable. While within sight of you, your summoned undead are immune to spells and effects that turn undead. Additionally, you are immune to the frightened condition, as your time around undeath makes you fearless.

#### Master of Summoning

At 20th level, you are the pinnacle of summoner's knowledge. When you cast *summon undead* you may instead summon a **Revenant**. A Revenant summoned in this way cannot use its Rejuvenation feature. Alternatively, when you cast *animate dead*, you create a **Wight** for each corpse or pile of bones available. A Wight summoned in this way cannot raise zombies via its Life Drain feature. These spells otherwise function as normal, and the stats for the summoned undead are in the *Monster Manual*.

### School of the Skullslinger

A Skullslinger focuses her efforts on an intimate knowledge of ways to use necromantic energy to scorch and destroy her enemies. She doesn't waste precious time or effort on summoning, and blades are for those too stupid to wield the power of life and death.

#### Siphon Life

Upon choosing the School of the Skullslinger at 2nd level, you learn to siphon the life out of those you target. Once on each of your turns when you deal necrotic damage to a creature other than a construct or undead using a necromancy spell of first level or higher, you gain temporary hit points equal to twice your level in this class.

#### Piercing Necrosis

At 6th level the potency of your necromantic spells becomes greater. Your necromancer spells and features that deal necrotic damage ignore resistance to necrotic damage.

#### Undead Rebuke

At 14th level, your bond with the forces of life and death allows you to punish those who would harm you. When you are hit with a melee attack, you may use your reaction to cause the attacker to take 2d6 necrotic damage. You may expend up to two necromancer hit dice as a part of this reaction to increase the damage. If you expend hit dice, the attacker has disadvantage on attack rolls against you until the beginning of your next turn.

#### Necrotic Control

At 18th level, your control over your necrotic spells is at its peak. When you cast a spell that targets an area, deals necrotic damage, and requires a saving throw, you may expend and roll a necromancer hit dice. You may choose a number of creatures up to the number rolled to automatically succeed on the saving throw against that spell.

Alternatively, when you cast a spell that targets a single creature and deals necrotic damage, you may expend and roll a necromancer hit die. If the spell requires an attack roll, you gain a bonus to the attack equal to the amount rolled on the hit die. If the spell requires a saving throw, the target takes a penalty on the saving throw equal to the amount rolled on the hit die.

#### Ultimate Necrosis

Upon reaching 20th level, your necromancy spells carry the power of legend. When you deal necrotic damage with a necromancer spell or feature, you may expend a necromancer hit die to deal maximum damage, instead of rolling.

### School of the Scythe

*"I am become death, destroyer of worlds"*

Necromancers choosing to follow the School of the Scythe usually forgo the raising of undead. Rather, they focus their learning and knowledge on the body and soul, using this knowledge to enhance their martial abilities. Though called the School of the Scythe, not all who follow this school choose to wield the archetypical weapon of death.

#### Undead Fortitude

Upon following this school at 2nd level, your ability to emulate the resilience of the undead increases. You gain 1 additional hit point per level in this class, and you gain proficiency with light and medium armor and simple and martial weapons.

Additionally, when you make a melee weapon attack using a melee weapon with which you are proficient, you may use your intelligence modifier for the attack and damage rolls.

#### Extra attack

Upon reaching 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. Moreover, you can cast one of your cantrips in place of one of those attacks.

#### Necrotic Blade

Upon reaching 6th level, you are able to channel your life force into your weapon attacks. On a successful melee weapon attack, you may expend and roll a number of necromancer hit dice up to your intelligence modifier. That attack deals additional necrotic damage equal to the amount rolled, and you take necrotic damage equal to the single highest die roll among the hit dice expended.

#### Ghostly Scythe

Upon reaching 14th level, you are able to reach into the unknown to form a ghostly scythe with which to shear your enemies and steal their life essence. As an action, you may force all creatures in a 15 foot cone in front of you to make a constitution saving throw, taking 4d6 necrotic damage on a failed save or half as much on a successful save. You regain hit points equal to your intelligence modifier for each creature that fails the saving throw. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier, and regain expended uses upon completion of a long rest.

#### Ghostly Weakness

Beginning at 18th level, you are able to sacrifice your life essence to prevent your enemies from attacking you and your allies. As an action, you may choose a creature you can see within 15 feet of you and expend a necromancer hit die. The targeted creature must make a wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, for the next minute it can use either an action or a bonus action on its turn, not both. Regardless of the creature’s abilities or magic items, it can’t make more than one melee or ranged attack during its turn. On a successful save, the target takes necrotic damage equal to three times the number rolled on the hit die. In either case, you sap your own life energy to create the magical effect, taking necrotic damage equal to the number rolled on the hit die.

#### Spectre of Death

Upon reaching 20th level, you emulate a spectre of death itself. You no longer walk upon the ground, instead hovering a few inches above it and silently gliding along; an inexorable bringer of death.

As an action, you may expend and roll one necromancer hit die to call upon the powers of life and death to transform into a spectre of death. For one minute, you gain the following benefits.

- Your melee weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
- When used, and at the beginning of each of your turns while active, you regain hit points equal to the number rolled on the hit die.
- You gain a bonus to damage rolls with melee weapons equal to the number rolled on the hit die.

Once used, you may not use this feature again until you complete a long rest.

### School of Undead Divination

Those following the School of Undead Divination usually choose to focus their incredible intellect on speaking with the dead to learn from them. They know that as useful as damaging spells and summoning minions may be, knowledge is the real power. They seek out the most well known ghosts, ancestors, and other deceased to learn their biggest secrets or how to defeat a difficult foe.

During the Great War, those of this school were mostly used to gather insight from the fallen soldiers fighting the fiendish hordes, allowing others a greater chance of survival in the next battle.

#### Ghostly Foresight

When you choose to follow this School at 2nd level, you are able to call upon undead spirits to aid you. When you make an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw, you may expend a necromancer hit die to invoke the power of life and death and gain a bonus on the roll equal to the number rolled on the hit die. You choose to use this feature after you roll the d20, but before the results are known. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier, and regain expended uses when you complete a long rest.

#### Eyes of the Grave

At 6th level, you learn to gain brief glimpses into the past lives of the dead. As an action, you may look into the soul of a dead or undead creature within 1 foot of you. You gain shadowy insights into the minutes before the creature's death. These may be images, sounds, voices, feelings, thoughts, or other glimpses into the creature's past life immediately before it died. This feature does not work on constructs. If you use this feature more than twice before completing a long rest, you must make a wisdom saving throw against your own spell save DC. On a success, the feature works normally. On a failure, you take 4d10 necrotic damage and are paralyzed for 10 minutes as the echoes of death pervade your soul.

#### Words with Death

At 14th level your ability to communicate with the dead becomes more precise. You gain the *speak with dead* spell, it does not count against your total number of spells known, you may cast the spell at-will, without expending a spell slot or material components, and may target undead corpses as well.

#### Impending Doom

Beginning at 18th level, your insight into life and death spells doom for those who would attempt to harm you. As an action, you may expend and roll one necromancer hit die. For the next minute, the ghosts and spirits you speak with share knowledge of your enemies. You take necrotic damage equal to twice the number rolled, and you gain a bonus to your spell attack rolls and saving throw DC equal to the number rolled. Once used, you cannot use this feature again until you complete a long rest.

#### Seance

At 20th level, your ability to communicate with the dead is unrivaled. You can perform a ritual to bring a ghostly image of a dead humanoid to life. To do so, you must know the name of the deceased and possess something of theirs that was dear to them, such as a favored weapon, book, piece of clothing, or the like. The ritual takes 8 hours and 1000 gp worth of expensive incense and other components to cast, at the end of which you must expend and roll a necromancer hit dice. The deceased's ghostly form remains with you for a number of days equal to the number rolled. You may not recover the hit dice until you have completed a long rest after the ghostly deceased has faded and the ritual has ended.

The ghostly deceased knows only what it knew in life, though you are not required to share a language to communicate with it. It is bound to your service and must tell the truth, though its answers may be cryptic or incomplete. It can neither damage or be damaged by corporeal creatures. While with you, you know up to 3 skill, weapon, armor, or tool proficiencies of your choice that it knew in life. Additionally, while it is with you, you are considered to be under the effects of the *foresight* spell.

Once used, you cannot cast this ritual again for 7 days after it ends.

### School of Blood Magic

A mortician in the bad part of town begins to experiment on the fallen soldiers that come through his door. After a while, he finds new magical secrets within the blood, allowing him to use blood magic to restore life energy to the living and the undead.

#### Blood healer

At 2nd level, you gain the ability to heal those around you using your own life essence. You gain the *cure wounds* and *healing word* spells, they count as necromancer spells for you, and do not count against your total number of spells known.

Additionally, as an action, you can heal one creature you can see within 60 feet of you, expending your necromancer hit dice. The maximum number of dice you can expend at once equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of one die). Roll the dice you spend, add them together, and restore a number of hit points equal to the total. When used in this way, you may restore hit points to living or undead creatures.

#### Healing Blood

At 6th level, you gain insight into the workings of life and death and are more easily able to stave off death. You learn the medicine skill if you do not already have it, or you may add twice your proficiency bonus to medicine check if you are already proficient.

Additionally, when you make a medicine check to care for a creature, you may expend a necromancer hit die and restore hit points equal to the number rolled.

#### Blood Shield

At 14th level, you are able to project your blood magic to protect yourself or an ally. As a reaction when you or an ally within 60 feet that you can see would be hit by an attack, you may expend and roll a necromancer hit die to shield that creature. Until the start of its next turn, the target gains a bonsu to AC equal to 1 + the number rolled, potentially causing the attack to miss. If the triggering attack still hits, the lingering blood shield grants resistance to the damage for that attack.

#### Refreshing Blood

By 18th level you are able to recover your vitality more quickly. At the end of a short rest, you may recover a number of hit dice expended via Sacrificial Life equal to your intelligence modifier. Once used, you may not benefit from this feature again until you complete a long rest.

#### Blood Bond

At 20th level, the power of your blood allows you to bond with another soul, granting you both extraordinary abilities. As an action, choose one living humanoid within 10 feet with whom to pair your blood magic, and roll one necromancer hit die. For the next minute, you both gain the following benefits.

- You both gain a bonus to your AC and saving throws equal to the number rolled on the hit die.
- The first time on a turn when either of you deal damage with an attack, spell, or feature, you deal additional necrotic damage equal to twice the number rolled on the hit die.
- When one of the joined pair takes damage, the other takes half the damage received (rounded down).

Once used, you must complete a long rest before using this feature again.

### Dread Rites

The Dread Rites presented here are shown in alphabetical order. If a Rite has prerequisites, you must meet them to learn it. You can learn the Rite at the same time that you meet its prerequisites.

#### Arcanum Trained

*Prerequisite: Arcanum Student background*

You studied at the Arcanum with some of the best spellcasters in the world. Pick two cantrips and one 1st level spell from any spell list. You learn these spells, they count as necromancer spells for you, and do not count against your total number of spells known.

#### Assert Dominance

*Prerequisite: 9th level*

You may invoke this rite as an action to assert your dominance over an undead creature you can see within 60 feet of you. The target must make a wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, you gain control of the undead creature for 10 minutes. On a successful save, the creature takes 2d6 necrotic damage and is not controlled. An undead that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to this Rite for 24 hours. You must complete a short or long rest before invoking this Rite again.

#### Black Rose Trained

*Prerequisite: 17th level and the Black Rose Student background*

Your training with the Black Rose allows you to call on the deity Kremation seeking knowledge or strength. As an action, you may ask one question of Kremation and receive a truthful answer. Kremation, like the other 11 deities, is not omniscient. If he does not know the answer, he will say so, but may also offer insights on where and how to find the answer.

Alternatively, you may request Kremation's strength in battle for 1 minute, receiving immunity to necrotic damage and dealing additional necrotic damage equal to your level when you deal damage with a weapon attack, spell, or feature. Once used, you may not invoke this rite again until 7 days have passed.

#### Blood Lust

*Prerequisite: 5th level*

You learn to sacrifice your life energy to enhance your weapon or spell attacks. When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack or a spell attack that damages a single creature, you may expend and roll a number of necromancer hit dice up to your intelligence modifier. The target takes additional necrotic damage equal to the number rolled, and you take necrotic damage equal to half the amount rolled.

#### Blood Mage

*Prerequisite: 11th level*

Your experience maiming yourself allows you to cast spells otherwise unknown to you. Pick one spell of up to 4th level from any classes spell list. You gain this spell, it counts as a necromancer spell for you, and does not count against your total number of spells known. However, you may not cast this spell using spell slots. Instead, to cast the spell you must expend and roll a number of necromancer hit dice equal to the level at which you cast the spell, and you take necrotic damage equal to the total rolled on the hit dice. When cast in this way, the spell does not require material components except those consumed by the spell, but does require concentration if the spell description notates concentration.

#### Bloody Regeneration

Your skill at manipulating your own blood magic can prevent your demise. When you would be reduced to 0 hit points, you may expend and roll a necromancer hit die. You are instead reduced to a number of hit points equal to the number rolled. Once used, you must complete a long rest before using this Rite again.

#### Corpse Explosion

You learn to use the negative energy of death to overload a corpse, causing it to explode in a shower of bone and ichor. As an action, select one corpse you can see within 60 feet. All creatures within a 15 foot radius of the corpse must make a dexterity saving throw, taking 3d6 piercing and 3d6 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful save. You may use this Rite twice, and must complete a short or long rest before using it again.

#### Ethereal Sight

You can see 60 feet into the Ethereal Plane when on the Material Plane, and vice versa.

#### Final Retribution

Your hold over life and death allows you to secure a final act for those suffering death. When an ally you can see within 60 feet is reduced to 0 hit points, you may use your reaction to expend and roll a number of necromancer hit dice up to your intelligence modifier. Creatures of your choice within 10 feet of the dying ally take necrotic damage equal to the amount rolled, and the ally on whom this Rite is used is immediately stabilized. Once used, you must complete a short or long rest before using this Rite again.

#### Ghostly Disguise

Your understanding of undeath allows you to appear as the dead for a brief time. You may use this Rite to cast *disguise self* at-will, without expending a spell slot. When used in this way, you appear ghostly and incorporeal, though you remain solid to the touch and gain none of the benefits of being incorporeal.

#### Healing Rite

When you take this Rite, you learn to channel the life forces of the aether around you to heal your allies. As an action, you may restore 1d6 hit points to one non-undead creature you can see within 60 feet. If there is a corpse, pile of bones, or other dead creature within 30 feet of the target, the healing increases by 1d6 for each corpse or pile of bones, up to 3. The initial hit points restored increase at 5th (2d6), 11th (3d6), and 17th (4d6) levels. You may use this Rite twice, and must complete a long rest before using it again.

#### Necrotic Potency

You are able to channel more of your necrotic will into your spells. When you deal necrotic damage with a Necromancer spell, you may add your intelligence modifier to the damage dealt.

#### Life from Death

You can cast *false life* on yourself at will as a 1st-level spell, without expending a spell slot or material components.

#### Prolonged Life

The time you spend around and studying the dead has infused you with some of their essence. You age at half the normal rate, and no longer require air, food, or water to survive.

#### Reaper's Companion

You learn the *find familiar* spell. It counts as a necromancer spell for you, and does not count against your number of spells known. When summoned, your familiar's creature type is undead.

#### Regiment Trained

*Prerequisite: Regiment Student background*

The Regiment trains some of the best foot soldiers in the world, and you are no different. You gain proficiency with light and medium armor, and simple weapons.

#### Shared Torment

You are able to more directly control the life force of yourself and your raised undead servants. When you take damage from any source, you may use your reaction to cause an undead creature under your control to take half the damage received, rounded down.

#### Undead Control

*Prerequisite: 13th level; must know the summon undead spell*

You have learned a deeper control over undead spirits. When you cast *summon undead*, the spell no longer requires concentration and lasts for 24 hours. This effect ends early if you use *summon undead* again, or use any other spell or feature to summon, create, or control an undead creature.

#### Undead Resilience

Bony armor forms on your body. While not wearing armor, your AC is equal to 13 + your dexterity modifier. You may use a shield and still gain this benefit.

#### Undead Sacrifice

As an action, you may sacrifice an undead creature that is under your control. The undead creature instantly dies and you regain hit points equal to half its hit point maximum.

#### Undead Uprising

Your control over the undead buried beneath you increases. So long as you are standing upon soft earth or a similar area, you do not require a corpse or pile of bones to cast *animate dead*. The zombie or skeleton summoned (your choice) claws its way up from underground to serve you. Additionally, you may cast *animate dead* as an action.

#### Voices of the Grave

*Prerequisite: 5th level; must know the speak with dead spell*

As part of the action to cast *speak with dead*, you may expend and roll a necromancer hit die. You take necrotic damage equal to the number rolled, and the spell affects a number of targets up to the number rolled. You may ask each targeted corpse 5 questions (for up to 30 total questions), however, the spell duration does not increase.
=========================================
### Necromancer Spells

#### Flaming Skull

**Necromancy cantrip**

**Casting Time:** 1 action

**Range:** 120 feet

**Components:** V, S

**Duration:** Instantaneous

You conjure and hurl a flaming, screaming skull at a creature you can see within range. Make a ranged spell attack. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 fire or necrotic damage (your choice). This spell’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).
=======================================
#### Animate Minor Dead

**1st Level Necromancy**

**Casting Time:** 1 minute

**Range:** 10 feet

This spell creates a tiny undead servant. Choose a hand, foot, or other small appendage within range. Your spell imbues the target with a foul mimicry of life, raising it as an undead creature. Regardless of the target's shape, it uses the game statistics of a **Crawling Claw**.

On each of your turns, you can use a bonus action to mentally command any appendage you made with this spell if the appendage is within 60 feet of you (if you control multiple appendages, you can command any or all of them at the same time, issuing the same command to each one). You decide what action the appendage will take and where it will move during its next turn, or you can issue a general command, such as to guard a particular chamber or corridor. If you issue no commands, the appendage only defends itself against hostile creatures. Once given an order, the appendage continues to follow it until its task is complete.

The appendage is under your control for 24 hours, after which it stops obeying any command you’ve given it. To maintain control of the appendage for another 24 hours, you must cast this spell on the appendage again before the current 24-hour period ends. This use of the spell reasserts your control over up to four appendages you have animated with this spell, rather than animating a new one.

**At Higher Levels.** When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you animate or reassert control over two additional undead appendages for each slot level above 1st. Each of the appendages must be unique.
=============================
#### Bone Spikes

**1st Level Necromancy**

**Range:** 60 feet

**Duration:** Concentration, up to 1 minute

You summon bones from the ground to pierce an area you can see within range. Shattered bones pierce through the earth in an area within a 10 foot radius of that point. Creatures within the area must make a dexterity saving throw, taking 1d10 piercing damage on a failed save and half as much damage on a successful save. When a creature enters the area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn in the area, it must make the dexterity saving throw, taking the same damage. While the spell lasts, the affected area is difficult terrain.

**At Higher Levels:** When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d10 for each slot level above 1st.
==================================
#### Shattered Bone Spear

**1st Level Necromancy**

**Range:** 90 feet

You rip a ghostly bone from the aether and hurl it at a target you can see within range. Make a ranged spell attack. On a hit, the target takes 2d4 piercing and 3d4 necrotic damage.

**At Higher Levels:** When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the piercing and necrotic damage increase by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.
==============================
#### Strangulation

**2nd Level Necromancy**

**Range:** 30 feet

**Duration:** 1 round

You cause ghastly necrotic tendrils to form around the neck of a creature you can see within range. The creature must make a constitution saving throw. The creature takes 3d8 necrotic damage on a failed save, and half as much on a success.

**At Higher Levels:** When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 2nd.
=====================================
#### Wall of Bone

**4th Level Necromancy**

You summon the bones of the dead to create a wall at a point you can see within range. You can make the wall up to 40 feet long, 10 feet high, and 6 inches thick, or you can make a cubed wall up to 20 feet on a side and 6 inches thick. The wall vanishes when the spell ends. The bones are 1 inch apart, allowing creatures to see through them, but not squeeze through.

Any ranged weapon attack that fires through the wall has disadvantage on the attack roll. Each 5-foot-square section has AC 15, 30 hit points, is immune to piercing damage, and is vulnerable to bludgeoning damage. Reducing a section to 0 hit points destroys that section.

If there is a corpse or pile of bones within 30 feet of the point at which you summon the wall, the spell pulls bones from them. The wall can then be 10 feet larger and each section gains 10 hit points.
===================================
#### Desecration

**7th Level Necromancy**

You conjure foul, necromantic energy to desecrate the ground at an area you can see. Choose a point within range. In a 30 foot radius ceneted on that point, necromantic energy rises from the ground. Creatures within the area or that start their turn within the area must make a constitution saving throw, taking 6d8 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful save. If there is a corpse or pile of bones within the area of affect, the damage is increased by 2d8 per corpse or pile of bones, up to a maximum increase of 6d8. Creatures who fail the save additionally have disadvantage on the next saving throw they make before the end of their next turn.

**At Higher Levels:** When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 8th level or higher, the base damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 7th.
======================================
### Necromancer Spell List
##### Cantrips (0 Level)

Chill Touch

Control Flames

Flaming Skull*

Friends

Infestation

Mage Hand

Poison Spray

Ray of Frost

Spare the Dying

Thaumaturgy

Toll the Dead

##### 1st Level

Animate Minor Dead*

Armor of Agathys

Bane

Bone Spikes*

Cause Fear

Comprehend Languages

Detect Evil and Good

Detect Magic

Detect Poison and Disease

False Life

Find Familiar

Fog Cloud

Hex

Identify

Illusory Script

Inflict Wounds

Protection from Evil and Good

Ray of Sickness

Shattered Bone Spear*

Unseen Servant

##### 2nd Level

Augury

Blindness/Deafness

Detect Thoughts

Enthrall

Gentle Repose

Invisibility

Ray of Enfeeblement

Strangulation*

Suggestion

##### 3rd Level

Animate Dead

Bestow Curse

Clairvoyance

Dispel Magic

Fear

Feign Death

Life Transference

Revivify

Speak with Dead

Spirit Shroud

Summon Undead

Tongues

Vampiric Touch

##### 4th Level

Arcane Eye

Banishment

Blight

Death Ward

Divination

Shadow of Moil

Sickening Radiance

Wall of Bone*

##### 5th Level

Antilife Shell

Cloudkill

Commune

Contagion

Danse Macabre

Enervation

Negative Energy Flood

Raise Dead

Scrying

##### 6th Level

Bones of the Earth

Circle of Death

Contingency

Create Undead

Eyebite

Find the Path

Harm

Magic Jar

Soul Cage

True Seeing

##### 7th Level

Desecration*

Etherealness

Finger of Death

Resurrection

##### 8th Level

Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting

Antimagic Field

Antipathy/Sympathy

Clone

Mind Blank

##### 9th Level

Astral Projection

Power Word Kill

True Resurrection

*These spells are outlined in this class description.

JNAProductions
2021-08-12, 05:34 PM
The 'full caster + spells known' code in that link doesn't appear to be copy-able. I'll just post the class here. Give me a minute though.

Check my posts, near the bottom of the thread. I added NOPARSE to make it easier to fiddle with.

Anyway, reviewing the class itself...

Pretty poopy basic stats-Wizard, basically. Though the glaive gives them a good martial weapon-I'd actually make a Scythe weapon and make it a simple weapon that's NOT as good as a martial one.

Spellcasting, pretty basic. Spells known, though the table is hard to read to see how many are known.

Death Lore... I'd rather treat it like Stonecunning. Give Expertise when dealing with Necromancy, not advantage.

Is it intentional that you recover Hit Dice spent on Necromancer abilities faster than normal hit dice? And I'd assume subclass gives a way to use it, and it's not just gained at level 2 with nothing to spend it on.

I'd scale the Rites a little slower. Starting with 2 should be okay, but don't add two six levels later-add one three, and another at three more, so on and so forth.

Include ASIs in the write-up, if you could.

Ritual Spaces feels like it could be abused. If you get, for instance, Forbiddance or Leomund's Tiny Hut as a spell, that'd be BONKERS. I'd make it, rather than an action, take the NORMAL casting time.

Seeker After Knowledge feels too niche. I'd replace it entirely.

Endurance Of The Grave doesn't feel like it fits with the class-perhaps give resistance to Necrotic damage, and the ability to use a reaction to become immune to an instance of Necrotic damage?

Summoner

Undead Familiar feels flavorful. I like it.

Powerful Dead feels pretty... Random. On average, you'd get +3 to AC, Attack rolls, and Damage rolls, which is pretty good, but potentially up to +6. But it's luck-based. I don't like that at all.

Making a Ghast for the same price as a Zombie or Skeleton is CRAZY. This needs to be modified. Heavily.

As written, one could argue that this last feature makes them immune to all spells. I would clear it up.
I'd also change it entirely, save for being immune to Frightened (that's fine), since Turning is niche as hell. I'd make it something like "The first time an undead under your control would be destroyed, it instead remains animate with 1 HP."

Same for the capstone.

Skullslinger

Siphon Life, neat.

Piercing Necrosis, neat.

Undead Rebuke, cool.

Necrotic Control might be a lil' iffy.

Ultimate Necrosis is too good.

Overall, cool, but not sure enough spells exist that make it worth it.

Scythe

Undead Fortitude, fine.

Extra Attack, okay.

Necrotic Blade, neat.

Ghostly Scythe, cool.

Ghostly Weakness needs an earlier end clause.

Spectre Of Death could be awesome (+6 to damage! Regain 6 HP at the start of every turn!) or suck (+1 to both... Whoo...)

Overall neat though.

Also, I notice that you don't get uses for your hit dice at level 2. There's no point to gaining that feature at level 2 then.

Divination

Foresight, neat.

Wisdom save against your own DC feels weird. Also, Paralyzed for TEN MINUTES? That's a death sentence if anything vaguely threatening is about!

Words With Death, neat.

Impending Doom, flat no. The ability to potentially gain +6 to your Save DCs is INSANE. That'd be DC 25. No.

Seance feels too good, but also kinda bad because of the cooldown. I'd rework it entirely.

Blood Magic

Healer, neat.

Healing Blood references a non-existent mechanic.

Blood Shield, neat.

Refreshing Blood, neat.

Blood Bond might be a touch too good-though it is defensive in nature, which I like.

Dread Rites

Black Rose Trained, combined with Eldritch Blast, could have you dealing 1d10+20 damage on each bolt. That's bonkers.

Necrotic Potency raises that to 1d10+25.

Although I guess you'd need to take Blood Mage to get Eldritch Blast... Still.

Shared Torment, as written, doesn't actually reduce your damage-just ALSO does damage to an ally.

Undead Uprising shouldn't allow for an action to cast.

OVERALL

The MAIN issue I have is simple-too much relies on your hit dice. Not expending them-the actual number rolled. I don't want a single d6 to decide if I'm gonna be awesome this encounter or not.

I'd reduce the randomness, a lot.

But I do like it. :)

Oramac
2021-08-14, 03:14 PM
Anyway, reviewing the class itself...

snip

Thank you! Sorry for the delay here. I've had to split my time between writing the necromancer and prepping for my home game tonight. I promise I'll come back with a full reply soon!

JNAProductions
2021-08-14, 04:01 PM
Thank you! Sorry for the delay here. I've had to split my time between writing the necromancer and prepping for my home game tonight. I promise I'll come back with a full reply soon!

No problem-take your time. :)

Oramac
2021-08-14, 10:44 PM
Ok, here we go. Got a reply here to JNA, and the next post will be version 3.
==========================

Death Lore... I'd rather treat it like Stonecunning. Give Expertise when dealing with Necromancy, not advantage.

Good idea.

Is it intentional that you recover Hit Dice spent on Necromancer abilities faster than normal hit dice? And I'd assume subclass gives a way to use it, and it's not just gained at level 2 with nothing to spend it on.

Yes, as you are likely to spend them rather significantly faster than normal hit dice as well.

I'd scale the Rites a little slower. Starting with 2 should be okay, but don't add two six levels later-add one three, and another at three more, so on and so forth.

Good idea

Include ASIs in the write-up, if you could.

It was in the (crappy) table. I added it to the description. Good catch.

Ritual Spaces feels like it could be abused. If you get, for instance, Forbiddance or Leomund's Tiny Hut as a spell, that'd be BONKERS. I'd make it, rather than an action, take the NORMAL casting time.

Indeed. I changed it to specify that you still must expend a spell slot to cast a ritual as an action. This prevents said shenanigans, since both those spells can only be acquired via the Blood Mage Rite, and therefore cannot be cast using spell slots. I will also go back through the spell list and check what other rituals are available to verify against other shenanigans.

Seeker After Knowledge feels too niche. I'd replace it entirely.

Ribbons are pretty niche.

Endurance Of The Grave doesn't feel like it fits with the class-perhaps give resistance to Necrotic damage, and the ability to use a reaction to become immune to an instance of Necrotic damage?

Every single undead in 5e is immune to exhaustion, but this doesn’t feel like it fits? Gotta be honest, I’m not following that. Regardless, adding necrotic resistance (perhaps expend a hit die for immunity) does sound like a good idea.

Summoner

Undead Familiar feels flavorful. I like it.

Great!

Powerful Dead feels pretty... Random. On average, you'd get +3 to AC, Attack rolls, and Damage rolls, which is pretty good, but potentially up to +6. But it's luck-based. I don't like that at all.

You can expend up to two dice, so the average would be 7 with a max of 12. Bigger spread though as well, with a minimum of 2. I definitely get your point with the randomness. Perhaps a fixed bonus based on the number of dice spent.

Making a Ghast for the same price as a Zombie or Skeleton is CRAZY. This needs to be modified. Heavily.

So at 14th level, when you’re likely to be facing Adult Dragons and Beholders and such, a CR2 with AC13 and 36 HP (max AC 19 and 48 hp with Powerful Dead) is crazy? Every breath weapon kills it outright on a failed save. So does nearly everything else monsters have at that level. And a Ghast doesn't even have the Zombie’s Undead Fortitude. I’m really not following you here either.

As written, one could argue that this last feature makes them immune to all spells. I would clear it up.

It says “spells and effects that turn undead”. That hardly qualifies as all spells.

I'd also change it entirely, save for being immune to Frightened (that's fine), since Turning is niche as hell. I'd make it something like "The first time an undead under your control would be destroyed, it instead remains animate with 1 HP."

The above being said, turning is pretty niche so I added this part as well.

Same for the capstone.

Same as what?

Skullslinger

Siphon Life, neat.

Piercing Necrosis, neat.

Undead Rebuke, cool.

Cool. :D

Necrotic Control might be a lil' iffy.

This is pretty vague. Iffy in what way? I can’t improve something if I don’t know what needs improvement.

Ultimate Necrosis is too good.

Perhaps expend a hit die for the effect? Maybe take damage from the die for it as well?

Overall, cool, but not sure enough spells exist that make it worth it.

Thus why I wrote several more necromancy spells at the end of the description.

Scythe

Undead Fortitude, fine.

Extra Attack, okay.

Necrotic Blade, neat.

Ghostly Scythe, cool.

Ghostly Weakness needs an earlier end clause.

One minute is too long, I take it? I don’t necessarily disagree, but would like to hear your reasoning.

Spectre Of Death could be awesome (+6 to damage! Regain 6 HP at the start of every turn!) or suck (+1 to both... Whoo...)

When you’ve likely already got a +3 weapon and who knows what other magic items? Mechanically even an additional +1 is great. That said, as a player rolling low does suck, so I see that side of the coin as well. Still not sure how to handle this one.

Overall neat though.

Also, I notice that you don't get uses for your hit dice at level 2. There's no point to gaining that feature at level 2 then.

A valid point. I’m planning to move Necrotic Blade to 2nd level to take up the slack here.

Divination

Foresight, neat.

Neat.

Wisdom save against your own DC feels weird. Also, Paralyzed for TEN MINUTES? That's a death sentence if anything vaguely threatening is about!

That’s kinda the point. You get two free uses between long rests. If you do it again you risk death yourself. Perhaps one minute? What would you suggest instead of rolling against your own DC?

Impending Doom, flat no. The ability to potentially gain +6 to your Save DCs is INSANE. That'd be DC 25. No.

That’s fair. Perhaps half the roll, rounded down (minimum 1)? That would keep some randomness but make a max roll equal to a warlock with a +3 Rod of the Pact Keeper.

Seance feels too good, but also kinda bad because of the cooldown. I'd rework it entirely.

Rework it how? Personally, I quite like this capstone. What makes it too good?

Blood Magic

Healer, neat.

Neat!

Healing Blood references a non-existent mechanic.

Yea, I noticed that after I posted it. Already working on a fix.

Blood Shield, neat.

Refreshing Blood, neat.

:D

Blood Bond might be a touch too good-though it is defensive in nature, which I like.

Thanks. Like I said, I want the capstones to be on the OP side. Personal opinion here. Being defensive makes it simpler.

Dread Rites

Black Rose Trained, combined with Eldritch Blast, could have you dealing 1d10+20 damage on each bolt. That's bonkers.

Necrotic Potency raises that to 1d10+25.

Although I guess you'd need to take Blood Mage to get Eldritch Blast... Still.

All valid. Black Rose Trained has been modified.

Shared Torment, as written, doesn't actually reduce your damage-just ALSO does damage to an ally.

I feel like RAI is pretty clear, though I see your point by RAW. I’ll look at rewriting it.

Undead Uprising shouldn't allow for an action to cast.

Why?

OVERALL

The MAIN issue I have is simple-too much relies on your hit dice. Not expending them-the actual number rolled. I don't want a single d6 to decide if I'm gonna be awesome this encounter or not.

I'd reduce the randomness, a lot.

But I do like it. :)

You’re not the first person to tell me that. While I love the randomness, I can definitely see where it would be highly disappointing to a player. I’m working on this as well.

Thank you! I’ve just about got version 3 finalized. Just giving it a final check before posting it for review, along with the changelog.

Anyway, version 3 up next.

Oramac
2021-08-14, 11:00 PM
Link to v3 changelog: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T2Mdy28et9aK5trk42vYZrZz80f9oI-FwXkVt8m-ik8/edit

# The Necromancer

A High Elf stands on a bluff overlooking the battle below. Her allies are being slaughtered, and she must intervene. Summoning necromantic energies from the ether, she raises her fallen allies and turns the tide of battle.

A fierce orc wades into battle wielding a fearsome scythe. As he cuts through swaths of enemies, he uses their life essence as fuel to continue his rampage.

A halfling chants a special prayer to the dead, raising long dead spirits and gleaning insight from the knowledge of their past lives.

#### Often Misunderstood and Sometimes Hated

Necromancy is almost universally hated and reviled. Even so, there are those who are fascinated by its use and the oft forbidden magics that go with it. Those who study the inner workings of raising the dead, for whatever reason, must always have care when pursuing their craft, never knowing the reaction those around them may have. Though often seen as an evil act, there are those who aim to do good with their necromantic spells, even going so far as to swear never to raise a corpse, instead relying on the life-stealing power of their spells to regain life energy. Still other necromancers focus their energy on divining the knowledge and wisdom of the dead. These great minds choose to learn from their ancestors in the most direct way possible.

#### Necromancers in Calypso

Necromancers in the world of Calypso most often worship Kremation, though they are not required to do so. Their allegiance is their own to choose, and while many pursue noble goals, some seek knowledge and power for their own evil ends.

Many who follow the necromantic arts don't summon or control undead; rather they seek out those who would corrupt the order of life and death. They know that death is not an end, but a new beginning, and they seek to swiftly carry death to those who have it coming.

During the Great War, most necromancers focused on dealing necrotic damage to the fiendish armies invading the realm, as well as raising the fallen to beat back the seemingly endless tide of demons pouring through the gate. Since the war's end, necromancers have expanded their learning to include damage of nearly any type and skills more suited to a world at peace.

Spells known at level (in place of table)
2 at 1st
+1 until 11th
Maxed at 15 at 17-20th.

#### Creating a Necromancer

When creating a necromancer, think about why you chose to pursue this restricted form of magic, and how you learned. Did you want to learn from your ancestors at the Black Rose? Or perhaps you wanted to emulate your progenitors in the Arcanum. Did you decide to take up study in secret, without formal acknowledgment or permission?

#### Quick Build

You can build a Necromancer quickly by following these suggestions. First, Intelligence should be your highest ability score, followed by Constitution. Second, choose the Acolyte or Hermit background.

### Class Features
As a Necromancer, you gain the following class features.

#### Hit Points

**Hit Dice:** 1d6 per Necromancer Level

**Hit points at 1st level:** 6 + your Constitution modifier

**Hit points at higher levels:** 1d6 (or 4) + your Constitution modifier per Necromancer level after first.

#### Proficiencies

**Armor:** None

**Weapons:** Dagger, Quarterstaff, Sickle, Scythe (Glaive)

**Tools:** None

**Saving Throws:** Intelligence, Wisdom

**Skills:** Choose two from Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Religion, and Survival

**Multiclass:** Necromancers require a score of 13 Intelligence.

#### Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) a scythe (glaive), or (b) a sickle
- (a) a component pouch or (b) a spellcasting focus
- (a) a Dungeoneer’s pack or (b) an Explorer’s Pack

#### Spellcasting:
See chapter 10 for the general rules of spellcasting and the end of this class description for the necromancer spell list.

**Cantrips**
At 1st level, you know two cantrips of your choice from the necromancer spell list. You learn additional necromancer cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the necromancer table.

**Spell Slots**
The necromancer table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these necromancer spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest. For example, if you know the 1st-level spell *Fog Cloud* and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast *Fog Cloud* using either slot.

**Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher**
You know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the necromancer spell list. The Spells Known column of the necromancer table shows when you learn more necromancer spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 3rd level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level. Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the necromancer spells you know and replace it with another spell from the necromancer spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

**Spellcasting Ability**
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your necromancer spells, since the power of your magic relies on your ability to interpret and coerce the forces of life and death. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a necromancer spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

**Spell save DC** = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

**Spell attack modifier** = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

**Spellcasting Focus**
You can use an arcane focus (found in chapter 5) as a spellcasting focus for your necromancer spells. Many necromancers prefer to use a bleached skull or small talisman as a focus, though you may choose whatever fits your character.

#### Ritual Casting
You can cast a necromancer spell that you know as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag.

#### Death Lore

At 1st level, your knowledge of life and death gives you heightened knowledge of undeath. You have advantage on Intelligence (Arcana) and Intelligence (Religion) checks related to necromancy, undeath, and the occult.

#### Necromancer's School

At 2nd level, you choose a magical school to follow. You may choose the School of the Summoner, School of the Skullslinger, School of the Scythe, School of Undead Divination, or the School of Blood Magic. This choice grants you features at 2nd level, and again at 6th, 14th, 18th, and 20th levels.

#### Sacrificial Life

Also at 2nd level, you are able to channel your life essence into your necromantic magic. Several Necromancer features require the use of one or more Necromancer hit dice, as detailed in the feature description. Hit dice expended for these features are unavailable for any other purpose, and are regained upon completion of a long rest. If you expend your last hit die to fuel a necromancer spell or feature, you take necrotic damage equal to three times your necromancer level. Damage or detrimental effects you suffer as a result of expending a necromancer hit die cannot be reduced or avoided in any way.

#### Dread Rites

In your study of life and death, you have unearthed Dread Rites, fragments of knowledge that imbue you with an abiding magical ability.

At 3rd level, you gain two Dread Rite options of your choice. Your Rite options are detailed at the end of the class description. You gain two additional Dread Rites at 9th level, and two again at 15th level.

Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the Rites you know and replace it with another of your choice.

### Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

#### Ritual Spaces

At 5th level, your knowledge of rituals and their symbols, circles, and components increases. You may cast any necromancer spell with the ritual tag as a ritual in half the normal time.

Alternatively, you may expend and roll a necromancer hit die to cast a necromancer ritual spell as an action. You must expend a spell slot with this casting, and you take necrotic damage equal to the number rolled. Once used, you cannot use this feature to cast a ritual as an action again until you complete a short or long rest.

#### Seeker after Knowledge

At 7th level, your ability to seek out the knowledge you need grows. You have advantage on Intelligence (Investigation) checks to search for information in a library, study, athenaeum, or other similar place.

#### Endurance of the Grave

By 10th level your study of the workings of death and undeath gives you exceptional endurance. You are immune to exhaustion.

## Necromantic Schools

### School of the Summoner

While necromancers of other schools may dabble in summoning undead, those following the School of the Summoner seek to master it. Their focus falls on their minions, sometimes to the detriment of their own physical self.

#### Undead Familiar

When you follow this School at 2nd level, you gain the ability to summon a ghastly, floating undead skull to follow you on your travels; your Undead Familiar. You gain the *find familiar* spell, and it does not count against your total number of spells known. When summoned, your familiar takes the form of a ghastly, floating skull. The skull has a fly speed equal to your walking speed and may hover. It otherwise follows the rules and statistics of the familiar choices listed in the spell description.

Additionally, you may speak and converse with the skull. It is friendly to you and knows basic lore of the world and undeath. The skull cannot lie to you, but its answers may be cryptic or incomplete.

#### Powerful Dead

Upon reaching 6th level, you are able to sacrifice your own life essence to create more powerful minions. Upon creating, raising, or summoning an undead creature via any spell or feature, you may choose to expend up to two necromancer hit dice. Roll the dice and record the number rolled. Both your current and maximum hit points are reduced by the number rolled. Additionally, undead creatures summoned in this way gain a bonus to their AC, attack, and damage rolls equal to half the number rolled (rounded down, minimum 1), and gain current and maximum hit points equal to the number rolled. Once used, you cannot regain your maximum hit points nor the expended hit dice until you complete a long rest.

#### Advanced Animation

Upon reaching 14th level, your ability to summon undead is unmatched. You gain the *animate dead* spell, and it does not count against your total number of spells known. When you cast *animate dead*, you may choose to create a **Ghast** (the stats for which can be found in the *Monster Manual*) instead of a zombie or skeleton with each corpse or pile of bones.

#### Singular Purpose

By 18th level, your summoned undead become nearly unstoppable. While within sight of you, your summoned undead are immune to spells and effects that turn undead, and the first time one of your summoned undead would be reduced to 0 hit points, it remains at 1 hit point instead. Additionally, you are immune to the frightened condition, as your time around undeath makes you fearless.

#### Master of Summoning

At 20th level, you are the pinnacle of summoner's knowledge. When you cast *summon undead* you may instead summon a **Revenant**. A Revenant summoned in this way cannot use its Rejuvenation feature. Alternatively, when you cast *animate dead*, you create a **Wight** for each corpse or pile of bones available. A Wight summoned in this way cannot raise zombies via its Life Drain feature. These spells otherwise function as normal, and the stats for the summoned undead are in the *Monster Manual*.

### School of the Skullslinger

A Skullslinger focuses her efforts on an intimate knowledge of ways to use necromantic energy to scorch and destroy her enemies. She doesn't waste precious time or effort on summoning, and blades are for those too stupid to wield the power of life and death.

#### Siphon Life

Upon choosing the School of the Skullslinger at 2nd level, you learn to siphon the life out of those you target. Once on each of your turns when you deal necrotic damage to a creature other than a construct or undead using a necromancy spell of first level or higher, you gain temporary hit points equal to twice your level in this class.

#### Piercing Necrosis

At 6th level the potency of your necromantic spells becomes greater. Your necromancer spells and features that deal necrotic damage ignore resistance to necrotic damage.

#### Undead Rebuke

At 14th level, your bond with the forces of life and death allows you to punish those who would harm you. When you are hit with a melee attack, you may use your reaction to cause the attacker to take 2d6 necrotic damage. You may expend up to two necromancer hit dice as a part of this reaction to increase the damage. If you expend hit dice, the attacker has disadvantage on attack rolls against you until the beginning of your next turn.

#### Necrotic Control

At 18th level, your control over your necrotic spells is at its peak. When you cast a spell that targets an area, deals necrotic damage, and requires a saving throw, you may expend and roll a necromancer hit dice. You may choose a number of creatures up to the number rolled to automatically succeed on the saving throw against that spell.

Alternatively, when you cast a spell that targets a single creature and deals necrotic damage, you may expend and roll a necromancer hit die. If the spell requires an attack roll, you gain a bonus to the attack equal to the amount rolled on the hit die. If the spell requires a saving throw, the target takes a penalty on the saving throw equal to the amount rolled on the hit die.

#### Ultimate Necrosis

Upon reaching 20th level, your necromancy spells carry the power of legend. When you deal necrotic damage with a necromancer spell or feature, you may expend a necromancer hit die to deal maximum damage, instead of rolling.

### School of the Scythe

*"I am become death, destroyer of worlds"*

Necromancers choosing to follow the School of the Scythe usually forgo the raising of undead. Rather, they focus their learning and knowledge on the body and soul, using this knowledge to enhance their martial abilities. Though called the School of the Scythe, not all who follow this school choose to wield the archetypical weapon of death.

#### Undead Fortitude

Upon following this school at 2nd level, your ability to emulate the resilience of the undead increases. You gain 1 additional hit point per level in this class, and you gain proficiency with light and medium armor and simple and martial weapons.

Additionally, when you make a melee weapon attack using a melee weapon with which you are proficient, you may use your intelligence modifier for the attack and damage rolls.

#### Necrotic Blade

Also at 2nd level, you are able to channel your life force into your weapon attacks. On a successful melee weapon attack, you may expend and roll a number of necromancer hit dice up to your intelligence modifier. That attack deals additional necrotic damage equal to the amount rolled, and you take necrotic damage equal to the single highest die roll among the hit dice expended.

#### Extra attack

Upon reaching 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. Moreover, you can cast one of your cantrips in place of one of those attacks.

#### Ghostly Scythe

Upon reaching 14th level, you are able to reach into the unknown to form a ghostly scythe with which to shear your enemies and steal their life essence. As an action, you may force all creatures in a 15 foot cone in front of you to make a constitution saving throw, taking 4d6 necrotic damage on a failed save or half as much on a successful save. You regain hit points equal to your intelligence modifier for each creature that fails the saving throw. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier, and regain expended uses upon completion of a long rest.

#### Ghostly Weakness

Beginning at 18th level, you are able to sacrifice your life essence to prevent your enemies from attacking you and your allies. As an action, you may choose a creature you can see within 15 feet of you and expend a necromancer hit die. The targeted creature must make a wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, for the next minute it can use either an action or a bonus action on its turn, not both. Regardless of the creature’s abilities or magic items, it can’t make more than one melee or ranged attack during its turn. On a successful save, the target takes necrotic damage equal to three times the number rolled on the hit die. In either case, you sap your own life energy to create the magical effect, taking necrotic damage equal to the number rolled on the hit die.

#### Spectre of Death

Upon reaching 20th level, you emulate a spectre of death itself. You no longer walk upon the ground, instead hovering a few inches above it and silently gliding along; an inexorable bringer of death.

As an action, you may expend and roll one necromancer hit die to call upon the powers of life and death to transform into a spectre of death. For one minute, you gain the following benefits.

- Your melee weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
- When used, and at the beginning of each of your turns while active, you regain hit points equal to the number rolled on the hit die.
- You gain a bonus to damage rolls with melee weapons equal to the number rolled on the hit die.

Once used, you may not use this feature again until you complete a long rest.

### School of Undead Divination

Those following the School of Undead Divination usually choose to focus their incredible intellect on speaking with the dead to learn from them. They know that as useful as damaging spells and summoning minions may be, knowledge is the real power. They seek out the most well known ghosts, ancestors, and other deceased to learn their biggest secrets or how to defeat a difficult foe.

During the Great War, those of this school were mostly used to gather insight from the fallen soldiers fighting the fiendish hordes, allowing others a greater chance of survival in the next battle.

#### Ghostly Foresight

When you choose to follow this School at 2nd level, you are able to call upon undead spirits to aid you. When you make an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw, you may expend a necromancer hit die to invoke the power of life and death and gain a bonus on the roll equal to the number rolled on the hit die. You choose to use this feature after you roll the d20, but before the results are known. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier, and regain expended uses when you complete a long rest.

#### Eyes of the Grave

At 6th level, you learn to gain brief glimpses into the past lives of the dead. As an action, you may look into the soul of a dead or undead creature within 1 foot of you. You gain shadowy insights into the minutes before the creature's death. These may be images, sounds, voices, feelings, thoughts, or other glimpses into the creature's past life immediately before it died. This feature does not work on constructs. If you use this feature more than twice before completing a long rest, you must make a wisdom saving throw against your own spell save DC. On a success, the feature works normally. On a failure, you take 4d10 necrotic damage and are paralyzed for 10 minutes as the echoes of death pervade your soul.

#### Words with Death

At 14th level your ability to communicate with the dead becomes more precise. You gain the *speak with dead* spell, it does not count against your total number of spells known, you may cast the spell at-will, without expending a spell slot or material components, and may target undead corpses as well.

#### Impending Doom

Beginning at 18th level, your insight into life and death spells doom for those who would attempt to harm you. As an action, you may expend and roll one necromancer hit die. For the next minute, the ghosts and spirits you speak with share knowledge of your enemies. You take necrotic damage equal to twice the number rolled, and you gain a bonus to your spell attack rolls and saving throw DC equal to the number rolled. Once used, you cannot use this feature again until you complete a long rest.

#### Seance

At 20th level, your ability to communicate with the dead is unrivaled. You can perform a ritual to bring a ghostly image of a dead humanoid to life. To do so, you must know the name of the deceased and possess something of theirs that was dear to them, such as a favored weapon, book, piece of clothing, or the like. The ritual takes 8 hours and 1000 gp worth of expensive incense and other components to cast, at the end of which you must expend and roll a necromancer hit dice. The deceased's ghostly form remains with you for a number of days equal to the number rolled. You may not recover the hit dice until you have completed a long rest after the ghostly deceased has faded and the ritual has ended.

The ghostly deceased knows only what it knew in life, though you are not required to share a language to communicate with it. It is bound to your service and must tell the truth, though its answers may be cryptic or incomplete. It can neither damage or be damaged by corporeal creatures. While with you, you know up to 3 skill, weapon, armor, or tool proficiencies of your choice that it knew in life. Additionally, while it is with you, you are considered to be under the effects of the *foresight* spell.

Once used, you cannot cast this ritual again for 7 days after it ends.

### School of Blood Magic

A mortician in the bad part of town begins to experiment on the fallen soldiers that come through his door. After a while, he finds new magical secrets within the blood, allowing him to use blood magic to restore life energy to the living and the undead.

#### Blood healer

At 2nd level, you gain the ability to heal those around you using your own life essence. You gain the *cure wounds* and *healing word* spells, they count as necromancer spells for you, and do not count against your total number of spells known.

Additionally, as an action, you can heal one creature you can see within 60 feet of you, expending your necromancer hit dice. The maximum number of dice you can expend at once equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of one die). Roll the dice you spend, add them together, and restore a number of hit points equal to the total. When used in this way, you may restore hit points to living or undead creatures.

#### Healing Blood

At 6th level, you gain insight into the workings of life and death and are more easily able to stave off death. You learn the medicine skill if you do not already have it, or you may add twice your proficiency bonus to medicine check if you are already proficient.

Additionally, when you expend a necromancer hit dice to restore hit points during a short rest, you may choose to add the regained hit points to yourself or another creature within 5 feet of you. When used in this way, you add your constitution modifier to the hit points recovered regardless of the recipient.

#### Blood Shield

At 14th level, you are able to project your blood magic to protect yourself or an ally. As a reaction when you or an ally within 60 feet that you can see would be hit by an attack, you may expend and roll a necromancer hit die to shield that creature. Until the start of its next turn, the target gains a bonsu to AC equal to 1 + the number rolled, potentially causing the attack to miss. If the triggering attack still hits, the lingering blood shield grants resistance to the damage for that attack.

#### Refreshing Blood

By 18th level you are able to recover your vitality more quickly. At the end of a short rest, you may recover a number of hit dice expended via Sacrificial Life equal to your intelligence modifier. Once used, you may not benefit from this feature again until you complete a long rest.

#### Blood Bond

At 20th level, the power of your blood allows you to bond with another soul, granting you both extraordinary abilities. As an action, choose one living humanoid within 10 feet with whom to pair your blood magic, and roll one necromancer hit die. For the next minute, you both gain the following benefits.

- You both gain a bonus to your AC and saving throws equal to the number rolled on the hit die.
- The first time on a turn when either of you deal damage with an attack, spell, or feature, you deal additional necrotic damage equal to twice the number rolled on the hit die.
- When one of the joined pair takes damage, the other takes half the damage received (rounded down).

Once used, you must complete a long rest before using this feature again.

### Dread Rites

The Dread Rites presented here are shown in alphabetical order. If a Rite has prerequisites, you must meet them to learn it. You can learn the Rite at the same time that you meet its prerequisites.

#### Arcanum Trained

*Prerequisite: Arcanum Student background*

You studied at the Arcanum with some of the best spellcasters in the world. Pick two cantrips and one 1st level spell from any spell list. You learn these spells, they count as necromancer spells for you, and do not count against your total number of spells known.

#### Assert Dominance

You may invoke this rite as an action to assert your dominance over an undead creature you can see within 60 feet of you. The target must make a wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, you gain control of the undead creature for 10 minutes. On a successful save, the creature takes 2d6 necrotic damage and is not controlled. An undead that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to this Rite for 24 hours. You must complete a short or long rest before invoking this Rite again.

#### Black Rose Trained

*Prerequisite: 17th level and the Black Rose Student background*

Your training with the Black Rose allows you to call on the deity Kremation seeking knowledge or strength. As an action, you may ask one question of Kremation and receive a truthful answer. Kremation, like the other 11 deities, is not omniscient. If he does not know the answer, he will say so, but may also offer insights on where and how to find the answer.

Alternatively, you may request Kremation's strength in battle for 1 minute, receiving immunity to necrotic damage and dealing additional necrotic damage equal to your intelligence modifier when you deal damage with a weapon attack, spell, or feature. Once used, you may not invoke this rite again until 7 days have passed.

#### Blood Lust

You learn to sacrifice your life energy to enhance your weapon or spell attacks. When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack or a spell attack that damages a single creature, you may expend and roll a number of necromancer hit dice up to your intelligence modifier. The target takes additional necrotic damage equal to the number rolled, and you take necrotic damage equal to half the amount rolled.

#### Blood Mage

Your experience maiming yourself allows you to cast spells otherwise unknown to you. Pick one spell of up to 4th level from any classes spell list. You gain this spell, it counts as a necromancer spell for you, and does not count against your total number of spells known. However, you may not cast this spell using spell slots. Instead, to cast the spell you must expend and roll a number of necromancer hit dice equal to the level at which you cast the spell, and you take necrotic damage equal to the total rolled on the hit dice. When cast in this way, the spell does not require material components except those consumed by the spell, but does require concentration if the spell description notates concentration.

#### Bloody Regeneration

Your skill at manipulating your own blood magic can prevent your demise. When you would be reduced to 0 hit points, you may expend and roll a necromancer hit die. You are instead reduced to a number of hit points equal to the number rolled. Once used, you must complete a long rest before using this Rite again.

#### Corpse Explosion

You learn to use the negative energy of death to overload a corpse, causing it to explode in a shower of bone and ichor. As an action, select one corpse you can see within 60 feet. All creatures within a 15 foot radius of the corpse must make a dexterity saving throw, taking 3d6 piercing and 3d6 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful save. You may use this Rite twice, and must complete a short or long rest before using it again.

#### Ethereal Sight

You can see 60 feet into the Ethereal Plane when on the Material Plane, and vice versa.

#### Final Retribution

Your hold over life and death allows you to secure a final act for those suffering death. When an ally you can see within 60 feet is reduced to 0 hit points, you may use your reaction to expend and roll a number of necromancer hit dice up to your intelligence modifier. Creatures of your choice within 10 feet of the dying ally take necrotic damage equal to the amount rolled, and the ally on whom this Rite is used is immediately stabilized. Once used, you must complete a short or long rest before using this Rite again.

#### Ghostly Disguise

Your understanding of undeath allows you to appear as the dead for a brief time. You may use this Rite to cast *disguise self* at-will, without expending a spell slot. When used in this way, you appear ghostly and incorporeal, though you remain solid to the touch and gain none of the benefits of being incorporeal.

#### Healing Rite

When you take this Rite, you learn to channel the life forces of the aether around you to heal your allies. As an action, you may restore 1d6 hit points to one non-undead creature you can see within 60 feet. If there is a corpse, pile of bones, or other dead creature within 30 feet of the target, the healing increases by 1d6 for each corpse or pile of bones, up to 3. The initial hit points restored increase at 5th (2d6), 11th (3d6), and 17th (4d6) levels. You may use this Rite twice, and must complete a long rest before using it again.

#### Necrotic Potency

You are able to channel more of your necrotic will into your spells. When you deal necrotic damage with a Necromancer spell, you may add your intelligence modifier to the damage dealt.

#### Life from Death

You can cast *false life* on yourself at will as a 1st-level spell, without expending a spell slot or material components.

#### Prolonged Life

The time you spend around and studying the dead has infused you with some of their essence. You age at half the normal rate, and no longer require air, food, or water to survive.

#### Reaper's Companion

You learn the *find familiar* spell. It counts as a necromancer spell for you, and does not count against your number of spells known. When summoned, your familiar's creature type is undead.

#### Regiment Trained

*Prerequisite: Regiment Student background*

The Regiment trains some of the best foot soldiers in the world, and you are no different. You gain proficiency with light and medium armor, and simple weapons.

#### Shared Torment

You are able to more directly control the life force of yourself and your raised undead servants. When you take damage from any source, you may use your reaction to take half the damage dealt (rounded up) and cause an undead creature under your control to take the rest of the damage.

#### Undead Control

*Prerequisite: 13th level; must know the summon undead spell*

You have learned a deeper control over undead spirits. When you cast *summon undead*, the spell no longer requires concentration and lasts for 24 hours. This effect ends early if you use *summon undead* again, or use any other spell or feature to summon, create, or control an undead creature.

#### Undead Resilience

Bony armor forms on your body. While not wearing armor, your AC is equal to 13 + your dexterity modifier. You may use a shield and still gain this benefit.

#### Undead Sacrifice

As an action, you may sacrifice an undead creature that is under your control. The undead creature instantly dies and you regain hit points equal to half its hit point maximum.

#### Undead Uprising

Your control over the undead buried beneath you increases. So long as you are standing upon soft earth or a similar area, you do not require a corpse or pile of bones to cast *animate dead*. The zombie or skeleton summoned (your choice) claws its way up from underground to serve you. Additionally, you may cast *animate dead* as an action.

#### Voices of the Grave

*Prerequisite: 5th level; must know the speak with dead spell*

As part of the action to cast *speak with dead*, you may expend and roll a necromancer hit die. You take necrotic damage equal to the number rolled, and the spell affects a number of targets up to the number rolled. You may ask each targeted corpse 5 questions (for up to 30 total questions), however, the spell duration does not increase.

### Necromancer Spells

#### Flaming Skull

**Necromancy cantrip**

You conjure and hurl a flaming, screaming skull at a creature you can see within range. Make a ranged spell attack. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 fire or necrotic damage (your choice). This spell’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

#### Animate Minor Dead

**1st Level Necromancy**

**Casting Time:** 1 minute

**Range:** 10 feet

This spell creates a tiny undead servant. Choose a hand, foot, or other small appendage within range. Your spell imbues the target with a foul mimicry of life, raising it as an undead creature. Regardless of the target's shape, it uses the game statistics of a **Crawling Claw**.

On each of your turns, you can use a bonus action to mentally command any appendage you made with this spell if the appendage is within 60 feet of you (if you control multiple appendages, you can command any or all of them at the same time, issuing the same command to each one). You decide what action the appendage will take and where it will move during its next turn, or you can issue a general command, such as to guard a particular chamber or corridor. If you issue no commands, the appendage only defends itself against hostile creatures. Once given an order, the appendage continues to follow it until its task is complete.

The appendage is under your control for 24 hours, after which it stops obeying any command you’ve given it. To maintain control of the appendage for another 24 hours, you must cast this spell on the appendage again before the current 24-hour period ends. This use of the spell reasserts your control over up to four appendages you have animated with this spell, rather than animating a new one.

**At Higher Levels.** When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you animate or reassert control over two additional undead appendages for each slot level above 1st. Each of the appendages must be unique.

#### Bone Spikes

**1st Level Necromancy**

**Range:** 60 feet

You summon bones from the ground to pierce an area you can see within range. Shattered bones pierce through the earth in an area within a 10 foot radius of that point. Creatures within the area must make a dexterity saving throw, taking 1d10 piercing damage on a failed save and half as much damage on a successful save. When a creature enters the area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn in the area, it must make the dexterity saving throw, taking the same damage. While the spell lasts, the affected area is difficult terrain.

**At Higher Levels:** When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d10 for each slot level above 1st.

#### Shattered Bone Spear

**1st Level Necromancy**

**Range:** 90 feet

You rip a ghostly bone from the aether and hurl it at a target you can see within range. Make a ranged spell attack. On a hit, the target takes 2d4 piercing and 3d4 necrotic damage.

**At Higher Levels:** When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the piercing and necrotic damage increase by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

#### Strangulation

**2nd Level Necromancy**

**Range:** 30 feet

**Duration:** 1 round

You cause ghastly necrotic tendrils to form around the neck of a creature you can see within range. The creature must make a constitution saving throw. The creature takes 3d8 necrotic damage on a failed save, and half as much on a success.

**At Higher Levels:** When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 2nd.

#### Wall of Bone

**4th Level Necromancy**

You summon the bones of the dead to create a wall at a point you can see within range. You can make the wall up to 40 feet long, 10 feet high, and 6 inches thick, or you can make a cubed wall up to 20 feet on a side and 6 inches thick. The wall vanishes when the spell ends. The bones are 1 inch apart, allowing creatures to see through them, but not squeeze through.

Any ranged weapon attack that fires through the wall has disadvantage on the attack roll. Each 5-foot-square section has AC 15, 30 hit points, is immune to piercing damage, and is vulnerable to bludgeoning damage. Reducing a section to 0 hit points destroys that section.

If there is a corpse or pile of bones within 30 feet of the point at which you summon the wall, the spell pulls bones from them. The wall can then be 10 feet larger and each section gains 10 hit points.

#### Desecration

**7th Level Necromancy**

You conjure foul, necromantic energy to desecrate the ground at an area you can see. Choose a point within range. In a 30 foot radius ceneted on that point, necromantic energy rises from the ground. Creatures within the area or that start their turn within the area must make a constitution saving throw, taking 6d8 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful save. If there is a corpse or pile of bones within the area of affect, the damage is increased by 2d8 per corpse or pile of bones, up to a maximum increase of 6d8. Creatures who fail the save additionally have disadvantage on the next saving throw they make before the end of their next turn.

**At Higher Levels:** When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 8th level or higher, the base damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 7th.

### Necromancer Spell List
##### Cantrips (0 Level)

Chill Touch

Control Flames

Flaming Skull*

Friends

Infestation

Mage Hand

Poison Spray

Ray of Frost

Spare the Dying

Thaumaturgy

Toll the Dead

##### 1st Level

Animate Minor Dead*

Armor of Agathys

Bane

Bone Spikes*

Cause Fear

Comprehend Languages

Detect Evil and Good

Detect Magic

Detect Poison and Disease

False Life

Find Familiar

Fog Cloud

Hex

Identify

Illusory Script

Inflict Wounds

Protection from Evil and Good

Ray of Sickness

Shattered Bone Spear*

Unseen Servant

##### 2nd Level

Augury

Blindness/Deafness

Detect Thoughts

Enthrall

Gentle Repose

Invisibility

Ray of Enfeeblement

Strangulation*

Suggestion

##### 3rd Level

Animate Dead

Bestow Curse

Clairvoyance

Dispel Magic

Fear

Feign Death

Life Transference

Revivify

Speak with Dead

Spirit Shroud

Summon Undead

Tongues

Vampiric Touch

##### 4th Level

Arcane Eye

Banishment

Blight

Death Ward

Divination

Shadow of Moil

Sickening Radiance

Wall of Bone*

##### 5th Level

Antilife Shell

Cloudkill

Commune

Contagion

Danse Macabre

Enervation

Negative Energy Flood

Raise Dead

Scrying

##### 6th Level

Bones of the Earth

Circle of Death

Contingency

Create Undead

Eyebite

Find the Path

Harm

Magic Jar

Soul Cage

True Seeing

##### 7th Level

Desecration*

Etherealness

Finger of Death

Resurrection

##### 8th Level

Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting

Antimagic Field

Antipathy/Sympathy

Clone

Mind Blank

##### 9th Level

Astral Projection

Power Word Kill

True Resurrection

*These spells are outlined in this class description.

JNAProductions
2021-08-14, 11:01 PM
Rituals
If it costs a spell slot... What's the point? That's basically just casting the spell normally then.

Exhaustion
Vampires aren't immune to Exhaustion. And honestly, exhaustion immunity is liable to either never come up, or be unneededly good when it does.

Ghasts and Wights
Compared to a CR 1/4 Zombie? It's OP.
It also deals more than twice the damage at a better hit bonus, with a Paralyzation rider. Low DC, yes. But if it lands, whoever got Paralyzed is dead.
Zombies also die to a failed save on a Breath Weapon-hell, they've a good chance of dying on a PASSED save, against an Adult Red Dragon.
Mostly, though, Animate Dead is balanced with CR 1/4 minions. Upgrading them to CR 2, or in the case of Wights, CR 3 is a RIDICULOUS bonus.

Necrotic Control
Adding to Save DCs is a dangerous thing to do.

Ghostly Weakness
A minute is fine-but virtually nothing else in the game lasts for a full minute with no way to end it early. The vast majority allow a new save at the end of each of their turns-I see no reason to make this different.

2nd Level
If you add the feature at level 2, make sure EVERY subclass does something with it. Not just some.

Impending Doom
A class feature that gives you a bonus similar to a very, very powerful very rare magic item that is by no means guaranteed to be available to players does not assuage my worries. For reference, the math is currently set so that any PC (if made with Point Buy or the Standard Array) can pass a save from another PC, no matter what. The only exceptions to that are if they have additional penalties on their roll (Bane, an 8 in the save stat, and DC 19 save) or the specific case of a 20th level Barbarian with a Battlemaster Maneuver. This can easily lead to a situation where saving just isn't possible-DC 22 means you need +2 to the save to even have a chance of passing, and you'd need +7 to have 50% odds of passing even with advantage.

Undead Uprising
Compare to similar summoning spells, basically.

Oramac
2021-08-15, 03:49 PM
Rituals
If it costs a spell slot... What's the point? That's basically just casting the spell normally then.

Except, it's not. Plenty of rituals have cast times longer than an action. Sure, it's situational. No argument there. But situational features and spells are extremely common in 5e. I don't see that as a reason to cut something entirely. Not everything can (or should) be amazing.

Exhaustion
Vampires aren't immune to Exhaustion. And honestly, exhaustion immunity is liable to either never come up, or be unneededly good when it does.

That's fair. And yea, it would be useless in an urban mystery campaign, and OP in Dark Sun. But again, situational is not synonymous with bad.

Ghasts and Wights
Compared to a CR 1/4 Zombie? It's OP.
It also deals more than twice the damage at a better hit bonus, with a Paralyzation rider. Low DC, yes. But if it lands, whoever got Paralyzed is dead.
Zombies also die to a failed save on a Breath Weapon-hell, they've a good chance of dying on a PASSED save, against an Adult Red Dragon.
Mostly, though, Animate Dead is balanced with CR 1/4 minions. Upgrading them to CR 2, or in the case of Wights, CR 3 is a RIDICULOUS bonus.

I both agree and completely disagree. I see your point about the Ghast being potentially too good. That said, what's the damn point of a Master Summoner who can't summon diddly squat better than a CR1/4 zombie? That hardly qualifies as a master.

Perhaps an Ogre Zombie for Advanced Animation (still basically a zombie with more hp and damage). For the capstone, I considered a Banshee, but decided summoning incorporeal creatures would be really bad. Thus the Wight. And as a capstone, I have to disagree with a Wight being ridiculous. Again, your party is likely to be fighting Ancient Dragons, Krakens, Pit Fiends, Liches, and the like. Looking through the MM, all of those will auto-save against the Life Drain, and even their minions will have an extremely high probability of passing the save. Outside of that, the Wight is just another couple piddly ass attacks. And speaking of outside, if you fight anywhere around sunlight, it's even worse with Sunlight Sensitivity.

I suppose I'll just have to playtest this one. Several times.

Necrotic Control
Adding to Save DCs is a dangerous thing to do.

But also fun for the player. In any case, I do see your point. Perhaps I'll remove the saving throw part and just keep the attack bonus.

Ghostly Weakness
A minute is fine-but virtually nothing else in the game lasts for a full minute with no way to end it early. The vast majority allow a new save at the end of each of their turns-I see no reason to make this different.

Ahh!! I see. Ok, I misunderstood the first time. Yes, I'll add a save at the end of every turn. Good idea.

2nd Level
If you add the feature at level 2, make sure EVERY subclass does something with it. Not just some.

Good call. Gotta add something for the Summoner and the Skullslinger. I'll get on that.

Impending Doom
A class feature that gives you a bonus similar to a very, very powerful very rare magic item that is by no means guaranteed to be available to players does not assuage my worries. For reference, the math is currently set so that any PC (if made with Point Buy or the Standard Array) can pass a save from another PC, no matter what. The only exceptions to that are if they have additional penalties on their roll (Bane, an 8 in the save stat, and DC 19 save) or the specific case of a 20th level Barbarian with a Battlemaster Maneuver. This can easily lead to a situation where saving just isn't possible-DC 22 means you need +2 to the save to even have a chance of passing, and you'd need +7 to have 50% odds of passing even with advantage.

As above, I see your point. I'm going to have to think on this one a bit.

EDIT: I've completely replaced this for two reasons. First, as stated, it's really OP. Second, without the save DC bonus, it's more or less identical to the 2nd level feature, which makes it really boring. It has been replaced with a defensive feature that allows for casting spirit guardians using a hit dice, which will of course need review as well once v4 is ready.

Undead Uprising
Compare to similar summoning spells, basically.

I mean, ok. Sure. But isn't that the point? Making things better. Casting animate dead as an action is hardly game breaking, even in combat. You'd have to basically waste a turn to summon undead that may not even get a turn that round. Even if it does, it's basically zero sum against what you would have done had you not cast animate dead. Probably worse, actually, given the relatively low damage of the summoned undead (even with the Summoner upgrades).