PDA

View Full Version : multiclassing help

serpentalis
2021-08-11, 11:30 PM
Alright, so for one of my campaigns I rolled up a Simic Hybrid Bloodhunter, order of the mutant specifically. He's currently level 7, and I'll for sure take one more level, but after that, I'm at a little bit of a loss with where to go with his build. Briefly considered some rogue levels, maybe Psi Warrior fighter, but other than that....

So, I'm coming to y'all for suggestions, advice, all that good stuff. He's definitely one of the main DPS machines of the party, and has established himself as the monster hunter nerd as well, so something that enhances any or all of those would be cool, but I'm open to all suggestions!

It's a 5e campaign, but edition conversion is always an option with my DM, so that's not the worst thing. And a dump stat had to happen somewhere, so this dude's 8 charisma is gonna keep him a bit limited.

holywhippet
2021-08-12, 12:02 AM
Should we assume it will be a dexterity based build since you were considering rogue? What are you actual stats going to look like since you need a 13 in one or more stats for any given multiclass?

serpentalis
2021-08-12, 12:25 AM
It's mostly a dex based build, but I'm currently using a polearm and some other features run off of strength as well. Full stat block is 16 str, 18 dex, 14 con, 19 int, 14 wis, and 8 cha.

PattThe
2021-08-12, 03:15 AM
nineteen int...

Go sneak a wizard level or two in there.

Just because you caaaan...

serpentalis
2021-08-12, 02:05 PM
hmmm, wizard does sound fun. My only concern with it is the hit points, considering this character is one of the two pseudo-tanks of the party, so that may be an issue

Kuulvheysoon
2021-08-12, 02:09 PM
Honestly, sneaking in some Artificer might be neat. There's quite a few Infusions that'd be good, and you don't even have to take enough levels to unlock a subclass if you don't want to (though Alchemist would fit the whole monster hunter/Witcher vibe).

nickl_2000
2021-08-12, 02:10 PM
hmmm, wizard does sound fun. My only concern with it is the hit points, considering this character is one of the two pseudo-tanks of the party, so that may be an issue

2 levels of War Wizard. Between arcane deflection and the shield spell, you will more than make up for the difference in HPs. Plus you get a massive boost to your initiative bonus.

And as an extra bonus, you get all the sweet, sweet level 1 Wizard rituals.

mmcgeach
2021-08-12, 03:21 PM
2 levels of War Wizard.

This is fantastic on tanks.

Although I'm not an expert on how bloodhunters play, this is definitely worth serious consideration.

serpentalis
2021-08-12, 07:11 PM
Honestly, sneaking in some Artificer might be neat. There's quite a few Infusions that'd be good, and you don't even have to take enough levels to unlock a subclass if you don't want to (though Alchemist would fit the whole monster hunter/Witcher vibe).

Artificer would be fun, but we already have one in the party, and I'm already stealing some of his infusions anyway lol, like Armor of Magical Strength.

And a couple levels of war wizard is sounding more and more appealing..... Funnily enough, that was also suggested to me early on by someone else in my group, but I didn't give it much thought until now. But looks like War Wizard is a strong contender, possibly some rogue or something else as well :smalltongue:

PattThe
2021-08-12, 08:46 PM
Bladesinger is useful if you don't have action economy pressure! If you're not running any other "stance" then pick up bladesinging just to screw around.

serpentalis
2021-08-13, 12:05 AM
Bladesinger is useful if you don't have action economy pressure! If you're not running any other "stance" then pick up bladesinging just to screw around.

Medium armor is the go-to, along with having an actual shield and using a two-handed polearm, so I couldn't even use most of the Bladesinging features, sadly.

PattThe
2021-08-13, 01:00 AM
Medium armor is the go-to, along with having an actual shield and using a two-handed polearm, so I couldn't even use most of the Bladesinging features, sadly.
If you went fighter what style would you pick? That gets you med and shields.

Khrysaes
2021-08-13, 04:07 AM
Bloodhunter 10 wouldn't be bad, adding that +4int to your Str, Con, and Dex saves.

That said, I agree that leveraging your INT, either with Artificer or Wizard would be great. War Wizard seems the most solid bet for you. But you can also theme Artificer levels as you learning from the party member. You can flavor alchemist as you combining the artifice and your mutagen craft.

PattThe
2021-08-13, 08:54 PM
Artificer relies heavily on your bonus action, like the protector for instance. Three levels for a resource that you may want to be spending on other things at that point.

SleepyShadow
2021-08-14, 11:02 PM
War Wizard looks like a good fit for you. There's even a couple friendly wizard NPCs who could teach you, if you wanted an in-universe reason to multiclass.