PDA

View Full Version : Magic in the Blood + Dragonmarks

Yogibear41
2021-08-12, 04:26 AM
So was reading up on dragonmarks when I noticed the following: Pg. 62 of Eberron Campaign Setting says Dragonmarks grant their bearers Innate spell-like abilities.

Magic in the Blood says: you have a knack for getting the most out of your innate magical abilities.

Then goes on to talk about racial spell-like abilities.

Since Dragonmarks are race specific might be reasonable to say Magic in the Blood can give you extra uses of them. (I know were mixing settings here but /shrug)

Also there is the Savage Species feat that lets you turn Innate SLAs into SU Abilities.

redking
2021-08-12, 06:21 AM
I believe the consensus is that it doesn't help and you need real racial abilities.

liquidformat
2021-08-12, 08:10 AM
I believe the consensus is that it doesn't help and you need real racial abilities.

dragonmarks are technically racial, well more like 'family' based but still I think it is enough to be reasonable for the feat. Magic in the Blood thematically seems pretty cool and definitely makes the dragonmark feats a little more palatable. As is they kind of really suck.

Thurbane
2021-08-12, 06:38 PM
This is a long debated issue. Innate is not a defined game term: the only real answer is ask your DM.

FWIW, this is what the FAQ has to say:

Can a warlock qualify for the Supernatural Transformation feat (SS 39) and change one of his invocations into a supernatural ability?
No. The warlock’s spell-like abilities are learned (from class levels), not innate (that is, part of his racial traits).

What does “innate spell-like ability” mean for the purpose of qualifying for the Supernatural Transformation feat (SS 39)? Does the Innate Spell feat create an innate spell-like ability?
“Innate,” for the purpose of the Supernatural Transformation feat, means “gained normally as part of the creature’s race, type, subtype, or kind.”
A duergar’s enlarge person and invisibility spell-like abilities, a tanar’ri’s summon tanar’ri spell-like ability, and a juvenile gold dragon’s bless spell-like ability are all “innate” spell-like abilities. A warlock’s invocations, a paladin’s ability to call her special mount, and any spell-like abilities gained from your class, feats, or similar sources are not.
Despite its name, even the Innate Spell feat doesn’t create an “innate” spell-like ability for the purpose of the Supernatural Transformation feat. This is simply an unfortunate case of the same word being used for two different purposes.

Kol Korran
2021-08-12, 11:27 PM
Also, consider the following:
1. Dragon marks aren't racial. The vast majority of the people from the race comprising a dragonmarked house do not have dragonmarks. In fact, very very few do. Unlike most racial abilities which all (or the vast majority) of the members of each race have.

2. The dragonmarked feats intention are mostly intended for the Eberron setting, to help the DM create NPCs and have a framework for the abilities of dragonmarked houses (Of course they have more abilities, but the marks are the basis of their abilities).

3. Dragonmarks have additional benefits in Eberron, which may mitigate a bit how luckluster they are:
- A high status symbol: They are called lords and ladies, most of Khorvaire civilized races regard them highly, they are respected in dragonmarked houses.
- A lot of setting specific items require dragonmarks to activate. The actual drsgonmark, not just the SLA. Alsoz the setting has quite a lt of nagic items that enhance the basic abilities, from the items in the CS book, Macig of Eberron, Dragonmarked, and possibly other books.

4. All of that said, in the end it does fall to a DM decision. If I were the DM? I'd allow it. But I imagine some wont.