PDA

View Full Version : MTG - Jareth how to build?

Syjyl4488
2021-08-12, 01:15 PM
Ever since mtg started statting d&d chars I’ve been thinking about building jareth as a pc. For those of you that remember him, he’s one of my favorite creatures…so how would you build him as a pc?

Man_Over_Game
2021-08-12, 01:27 PM
Ever since mtg started statting d&d chars I’ve been thinking about building jareth as a pc. For those of you that remember him, he’s one of my favorite creatures…so how would you build him as a pc?

I'd do it either as a Battlemaster that somehow gets Shield (through Wizard/Sorcerer/Artificer levels, your pick), or as an Eldritch Knight with the Martial Adept feat. Basically, you just need an efficient way to get both Battlemaster Maneuvers and the Shield spell, the "how" isn't important since it'll function mostly the same either way.

Either way, it'd be an adaptive defender, one that will never die.

Catullus64
2021-08-12, 01:55 PM
Well, clearly he needs to be some sort of Fey race, either Elf or one of the new Feywild subraces. Glamour Bard is basically tailor-made...

*Frenized typing abates; actually looks at post*

Oh. Here I was really excited to help build David Bowie's Goblin King from Labyrinth.

Syjyl4488
2021-08-12, 02:27 PM
I was thinking definitively needs to be leonin (race)…was thinking s&b fighter…but feat path n type of ftr is still up for grabs…point buy if it matters.

solidork
2021-08-12, 02:47 PM
I'd do some mix of Rune Knight (for the 'giant' part of his type line) and Paladin. Probably Oath of Glory - that gets you a reaction that makes you harder to kill and deal more damage when you "block" an attacking creature as well as Protection from Energy for the activated ability. Glory also makes sense for a gladiator.

Runes also have an association with protection in Magic, due to the infamous Mother of Runes.

Chronos
2021-08-13, 06:38 AM
The creature in question (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=446766).

Joe the Rat
2021-08-13, 10:35 AM
I'd do some mix of Rune Knight (for the 'giant' part of his type line) and Paladin. Probably Oath of Glory - that gets you a reaction that makes you harder to kill and deal more damage when you "block" an attacking creature as well as Protection from Energy for the activated ability. Glory also makes sense for a gladiator.

Runes also have an association with protection in Magic, due to the infamous Mother of Runes.
I was trying to figure out where to get shield, but the Glory Paladin sounds almost custom-built for it.

Well, clearly he needs to be some sort of Fey race, either Elf or one of the new Feywild subraces. Glamour Bard is basically tailor-made...

*Frenized typing abates; actually looks at post*

Oh. Here I was really excited to help build David Bowie's Goblin King from Labyrinth.You mean he's not already an Archfey Patron in your games?

Man_Over_Game
2021-08-13, 02:13 PM
I was trying to figure out where to get shield, but the Glory Paladin sounds almost custom-built for it.

If he's going Paladin, Sorcerer or Hexblade are easy picks for it. Divine Soul Sorcerer, under Law or Neutral, would work out really dang well actually, since you'd get an extra 2d4 on a save every Short Rest. Combine that with Shield, and you have a really durable tank that would probably outperform even high-level fighters (not counting the HP difference).

Syjyl4488
2021-08-13, 04:45 PM
Ok…so we’ve got glory paladin, and certain types of ftr…how would you build him stat/feat-wise (assuming s&b)