PDA

View Full Version : Help my friend make Deadpool please

Khazreil
2021-08-13, 02:33 AM
Scenario: my friends and I are doing a closed circle iron chef competition, but it is comic book themed. We are going to make our best approximations of comic book characters and go at it. We are talking a warforged artificer named tony stark, an anthropomorphic bat ascetic rogue named bruce wayne, an anthropomorphic spider acrobat thief named peter parker, the list goes on. One of my players wants to do deadpool. The class features and basic flavor is not a problem, but what I *am* having a problem with is figuring out how to give him right proper regeneration. not fast healing, not limb regrowth. it can look, act, and quack like regeneration, but that doesnt make it regeneration. it *needs* to *be* regeneration by name. we are allowed 30 levels worth of exp. WITHOUT resorting to shenanigans and DM rulings, or other permissive interpretaitions of the rules, how does he get it? Race is somewhat open (has to fit the flavor), but classes and feats are mostly set. there are maybe 3 feats that could be removed for the sake of gaining it though.

Any help is appreciated.

Maat Mons
2021-08-13, 03:00 AM
The Troll-Blooded feat from Dragon 319 is the go-to.

Lukalaly
2021-08-13, 03:48 AM
I'll be the first to say it doesn't fit the concept at all, along with you probably not having room in your build for it, but have you considered becoming a wendigo? +4 la sure hurts, but perfect 120 ft. fly speed? Regen five, only pierced by fire? You may lose the ability to attack with anything but your bite, but consider that you just got a bite attack! Who doesn't love natural weapons? Not only that, but you can...uh...whisper at people? Once a day? Infinite windwalk! As a move action! Truly the epitome of utility. Remember that bite attack? It might only deal 1d6 damage (assuming you're medium), but once you remember that it's now your only way of dealing damage, you can invest all you want into it! It already has a crit range of 18-20, why not take improved crit to boost it to 15-20? You'll get to roll an entire 3d6 when you crit (and boy will you) since it also gets a 3x critical mod! Wendigo-ing with cash to spare? It's not like you're gonna spend it on a weapon (imagine having manufactured weapons in current year, yuck). File down those teeth and replace them with state of the art kaorti resin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) teeth to boost that crit multiplier to an astonishing x4! Don't worry about whether or not it's possible, or worth boosting x3 to x4, you wouldn't be caught dead wendigo-ing without your kaorti resin teeth, would you? Of course not!

This is why I shouldn't post after midnight, much less after 4 in the morning. On a more serious note, troll blooded is, as far as I'm aware, more or less the only practical way of getting permanent regeneration. It has a feat tax of toughness, and has to be taken at first level, meaning you need to either be human (or an azurin, I guess? Strongheart halfling doesn't really feel like deadpool...), take a fighter level, or take a flaw. Just being human is probably the best bet, given that...well...you're basing the character off of a human. Though getting it through a fighter level does mean you could take improved toughness right off the bat, which is obviously a much better deal, unless you're already going for a class with good fort at level 1, in which case human is almost definitely the better choice. If dragon mag is off the table...well, I've already made the case for wendigo, I think.

Good luck with your build!

Khazreil
2021-08-13, 03:57 AM
The Troll-Blooded feat from Dragon 319 is the go-to.

This is great...now i just have to make him immune to fatigue...this can be done...thank you very much

Emperor Tippy
2021-08-13, 04:02 AM
Well step one is to have him cast Hide Life. So long as that is active, he can't die.

As for Regeneration, The Shriver (page 52, FC2) can get you Regeneration 5 (along with a bunch of other useful and appropriate abilities). If you roleplay Deadpool even remotely decently then you should have no problem committing the needed 8 Corrupt acts every 99 days to keep the ability (note that causing gratuitous injury is worth 3 of the points and murder is worth 5).

ShurikVch
2021-08-13, 07:02 AM
There are two templates which fit Deadpool:

Bogeyman (Menace Manual):

Death's Door (Su): A bogeyman appears to die if reduced to –10 hit points. However, unless it is reduced to its negative Constitution score in hit points, its "death" is only temporary; when the bogeyman's fast healing ability (see below) brings its hit point total to 1 or higher, it springs back to life.
Fast Healing 5 (Su): A bogeyman heals 5 points of damage per round until it is reduced to its negative Constitution score, at which point it dies. This ability does not enable the bogeyman to regrow or reattach severed body parts.
Immunities (Ex): A bogeyman is immune to disease, mind-affecting effects, necromantic effects, paralysis, poison, and sleep. It is not subject to nonlethal damage.

Curst (Lost Empires of Faerūn):

Fast Healing (Ex): A curst heals 1 point of damage each round so long as it has at least 1 hit point. If reduced to 0 or fewer hit points, it falls to the ground paralyzed, and its fast healing stops. After 1 hour, the curst makes a DC 20 level check. If the check succeeds, the curst regains 1 hit point, its fast healing resumes, and it is no longer paralyzed. If the check fails, the curst must make another check at the same DC 24 hours later, and every 24 hours thereafter until it succeeds and begins to recover hit points again. Thus, even a dismembered curst eventually recovers from its injuries.
Level Adjustment: +3.

Starbuck_II
2021-08-13, 09:49 AM
Scenario: my friends and I are doing a closed circle iron chef competition, but it is comic book themed. We are going to make our best approximations of comic book characters and go at it. We are talking a warforged artificer named tony stark, an anthropomorphic bat ascetic rogue named bruce wayne, an anthropomorphic spider acrobat thief named peter parker, the list goes on. One of my players wants to do deadpool. The class features and basic flavor is not a problem, but what I *am* having a problem with is figuring out how to give him right proper regeneration. not fast healing, not limb regrowth. it can look, act, and quack like regeneration, but that doesnt make it regeneration. it *needs* to *be* regeneration by name. we are allowed 30 levels worth of exp. WITHOUT resorting to shenanigans and DM rulings, or other permissive interpretaitions of the rules, how does he get it? Race is somewhat open (has to fit the flavor), but classes and feats are mostly set. there are maybe 3 feats that could be removed for the sake of gaining it though.

Any help is appreciated.

Give him the Ring of Regeneration, done. Yes, it is slow Regen, but it is Regen by name.

Saintheart
2021-08-13, 09:57 AM
I'll be the first to say it doesn't fit the concept at all, along with you probably not having room in your build for it, but have you considered becoming a wendigo? +4 la sure hurts, but perfect 120 ft. fly speed? Regen five, only pierced by fire? You may lose the ability to attack with anything but your bite, but consider that you just got a bite attack! Who doesn't love natural weapons? Not only that, but you can...uh...whisper at people? Once a day? Infinite windwalk! As a move action! Truly the epitome of utility. Remember that bite attack? It might only deal 1d6 damage (assuming you're medium), but once you remember that it's now your only way of dealing damage, you can invest all you want into it! It already has a crit range of 18-20, why not take improved crit to boost it to 15-20? You'll get to roll an entire 3d6 when you crit (and boy will you) since it also gets a 3x critical mod! Wendigo-ing with cash to spare? It's not like you're gonna spend it on a weapon (imagine having manufactured weapons in current year, yuck). File down those teeth and replace them with state of the art kaorti resin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) teeth to boost that crit multiplier to an astonishing x4! Don't worry about whether or not it's possible, or worth boosting x3 to x4, you wouldn't be caught dead wendigo-ing without your kaorti resin teeth, would you? Of course not!

This is why I shouldn't post after midnight, much less after 4 in the morning. On a more serious note, troll blooded is, as far as I'm aware, more or less the only practical way of getting permanent regeneration. It has a feat tax of toughness, and has to be taken at first level, meaning you need to either be human (or an azurin, I guess? Strongheart halfling doesn't really feel like deadpool...), take a fighter level, or take a flaw. Just being human is probably the best bet, given that...well...you're basing the character off of a human. Though getting it through a fighter level does mean you could take improved toughness right off the bat, which is obviously a much better deal, unless you're already going for a class with good fort at level 1, in which case human is almost definitely the better choice. If dragon mag is off the table...well, I've already made the case for wendigo, I think.

Good luck with your build!

I read this entire post in Ryan Reynolds' voice, mission accomplished.

Khazreil
2021-08-13, 11:40 AM
Give him the Ring of Regeneration, done. Yes, it is slow Regen, but it is Regen by name.

no it is not, curiously enough. i was going to use this until i saw that it doesnt do the most important part of regeneration, converting lethal to nonlethal. i think ima just go trollblooded and get immunity to fatigue, acid and fire for him. i will present the other stuff to him, but i think he will like that best and imo it fits the flavor best.

Telonius
2021-08-13, 01:16 PM
For the build, it seems like the "Goad" feat would be pretty essential. His Charisma's clearly in the stratosphere. The Jester class (from Dragon Compendium) seems like it would mesh pretty well. Inspiring Quip, Taunt, Vicious Lampoon, Buffoonery, Vexing Dialogue, and Scathing Wit are both class features and excellent descriptions of what Wade does on a regular basis. Max ranks in Perform (Comedy) either way.

StSword
2021-08-13, 01:40 PM
Kind of a pity you don't seem to be playing a Pathfinder Game because Samurai Sheepdog has produced a lot of comic based stuff for pathfinder, including a Deadpool inspired archetype.

Bonneduce
2021-08-13, 03:18 PM
Okay, so here's my recommendation:

Ensure you play either a Ranger and/or a Fighter, to focus on his whole Two-Weapon Fighting schtick. I'd recommend using either scimitars or rapiers, your preference. Consider the Versatile Combatant feat, to wield a crossbow/s and sword/s. You might have to be Evil, check with your DM.

Then get a ton of Constitution, and Dexterity if you can swing it, the Poison Healer feat, and a snake animal companion/pet/enemy, to shove down your pants (ala Trouserfang Dwarf. Do note that this is better than Fast Healing, which turns off when you are unconscious).
Try to include both the Fearless Destiny (this one requires Human) and Tempting Fate feats, which essentially gives you a twice a day Nope-button with regards to death.

Seconding visiting the Shriver location as Tippy said, just keep in mind that it requires being able to survive about 10d6 damage and making quite a few Fortitude saves. Being a Binder and binding Naberius will help quite a bit with skills (wise-cracking) and healing ability damage at a rate of of 1 of each ability score every round, binding Dahlver-Nar's Maddening Moan can be nice crowd control, while his Natural armor ability adds half your Con mod to natural AC. Binding Leraje can help with the crossbow feats (or just use a sling if you don't have the feats), and a source of your choice of Skirmish represents his combat style fairly well (run, flip, trick shot over your shoulder, crack a joke), I'd suggest Scout or even Highland Stalker at later levels.

See if you'd be allowed to take the Mark of Malbolge feat (requires Brand of the Nine Hells set to allegiance to Glasya), which gives you some sweet, sweet cancerous/tumour flavour (mostly for the swift action healing of 2d6 + 1 per HD). The feat does say that if the character performs a great service to a duke of hell, the DM can allow PCs to take it, otherwise just cheese the heck out of Poison Healer for 2xCon mod healing every round.

An example stub would be something like: Ranger or Fighter 6/Binder X/Scout 5/X Whatever else your DM likes and allows

(Sorry for the info dump/long post, I'd be happy to answer any questions or elaborate, since I've been working on a similar build for quite a while. Mine can go way up into the stratosphere of cheesiness, though, so it depends what will work for your group)

RNightstalker
2021-08-13, 04:56 PM

I'm sure it can be improved upon as well.

Quote of the day!!!!

no it is not, curiously enough. i was going to use this until i saw that it doesnt do the most important part of regeneration, converting lethal to nonlethal. i think ima just go trollblooded and get immunity to fatigue, acid and fire for him. i will present the other stuff to him, but i think he will like that best and imo it fits the flavor best.

Would chameleon be able to adapt it as a class feature? If not, is there a spell that duplicates it that can be done as a continuous item?

Starbuck_II
2021-08-14, 09:15 AM

I just did too.
He forgot to mention they literally block attacks by being pretty (Cha to AC).

Only issue is Windigos are sort of jerks.

Saintheart
2021-08-15, 07:15 PM
Only issue is Windigos are sort of jerks.

...it's Deadpool.

Khazreil
2021-08-16, 02:04 AM
For the build, it seems like the "Goad" feat would be pretty essential. His Charisma's clearly in the stratosphere. The Jester class (from Dragon Compendium) seems like it would mesh pretty well. Inspiring Quip, Taunt, Vicious Lampoon, Buffoonery, Vexing Dialogue, and Scathing Wit are both class features and excellent descriptions of what Wade does on a regular basis. Max ranks in Perform (Comedy) either way.

This might have been the most helpful comment. thank you so much!