PDA

View Full Version : KFC alternatives?

TyGuy
2021-08-13, 07:57 AM
With kobold fight club not working, is there anything comparable to use as an alternative?

Sigreid
2021-08-13, 08:12 AM
I won't lie, I clicked on the thread to see how you were fitting Kentucky Fried Chicken into your world.

nickl_2000
2021-08-13, 08:21 AM
With kobold fight club not working, is there anything comparable to use as an alternative?

What part are you needing to replicate?

I won't lie, I clicked on the thread to see how you were fitting Kentucky Fried Chicken into your world.

Kuo-toa Fried Cockatrice. It is delicious, they use a secret blend of natural herbs and spices. None of that fake magical prestidigitation flavoring. I'm a drumstick guy myself, but my Lizardfolk friends swears by the legs.

TyGuy
2021-08-13, 09:16 AM
What part are you needing to replicate?

I was using it about 40% for encounter building. Using the difficulty calculator to spot check and tune proposed fights.

And the other 60% was search and filter functions for inspiration and tracking/finding options. E.g. if I.was making an encounter with a dragon that has been gifted devil minions from tiamat, I would have used KFC to search the key words kobold and then devil. And then I had an organized list of all my devil and kobold options spread out across all my books with handy page references and CR.

I think a lot of the general functionality can be replicated but not the time efficiency. Between KFC and one note, those two applications cut my prep time down to a small fraction of where I started.

Joe the Rat
2021-08-13, 10:20 AM
Are you still having issues? I've got it working on my end.

I use donjon off and on for random ideas - they also have an encounter generator
https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/random/#type=encounter
(https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/random/#type=encounter)

MaxWilson
2021-08-13, 12:25 PM

I'm still using KoboldFightClub anyway. I suppose if it starts getting unreliable due to the Google issue I can always clone the source code and plug my data in directly but so far I haven't felt the need because I haven't seen any failures.

Edit: apparently I jinxed myself. KFC is now blank for me and clearing site data and my browser did not help. I don't have time right now to try to fix it even for myself but clearly I will need to.

1Pirate
2021-08-13, 12:45 PM
Same for me.

Dork_Forge
2021-08-13, 12:52 PM
I had to cycle through the KFC delivery links in my history, but Kobold FIght Club is working okay for me

I've used Donjon in the past and it's alright but I prefer KFC.

SharkForce
2021-08-13, 03:23 PM
I find that I can use it on one browser but not another. might be worth a shot as it is a relatively simple fix.

MaxWilson
2021-08-13, 03:34 PM
I find that I can use it on one browser but not another. might be worth a shot as it is a relatively simple fix.

That one browser probably just has the data sheets cached. The underlying issue is Google spreadsheets unpredictably returning 404s instead of the monster data. It's not actually a browser issue at all.