PDA

View Full Version : Warforged and VoP

liquidformat
2021-08-13, 11:32 AM
Do warforged have to take Unarmored Body to take VoP?

I have been scratching my head over this one and can come up with a RAI argument for either but not sure.

On the one hand it seems reasonable that you would have to have Unarmored Body as otherwise you are pulling a fast one and getting armor which other characters with VoP can't.

On the other hand unlike armor on normal characters warforged 'armor' is part of them and can't be removed nor sold. You have to choose at first level whether you have armor and what type and then you are locked in from then on with your choice. This makes it distinctly different from other characters as it can't be removed after that unless you take a specific prc.

Anyways let me know what people think.

Psyren
2021-08-13, 11:51 AM
A search for warforged vow of poverty yielded some... contentious threads.

This may be an ask your DM situation. Personally I'd be fine with it.

Telonius
2021-08-13, 01:02 PM
Ugh, yeah, that's one of those issues that's never resolved to anybody's satisfaction, with good points on either side. And the Warforged argument is just icing on the cake of the whole VoP issue, which is still seething more than a decade after it was published. (There's another thread made just a couple of days ago about potential ways to fix the feat, if that gives you any indication). Any time VoP is involved, at all, it should be an "ask your DM" case. The feat requires DM rulings if it's going to function, and will seriously impact how the DM will need to plan the adventure.

liquidformat
2021-08-13, 07:22 PM
Ugh, yeah, that's one of those issues that's never resolved to anybody's satisfaction, with good points on either side. And the Warforged argument is just icing on the cake of the whole VoP issue, which is still seething more than a decade after it was published. (There's another thread made just a couple of days ago about potential ways to fix the feat, if that gives you any indication). Any time VoP is involved, at all, it should be an "ask your DM" case. The feat requires DM rulings if it's going to function, and will seriously impact how the DM will need to plan the adventure.

I made the other thread and while reading through everything I thought of the goofyness of warforged so figured I would ask in a new thread.

Yeah just thinking about it myself I can see both arguments as reasonable so not surprised it is one of those hot button questions.

Soranar
2021-08-13, 08:17 PM
they don't since the warforged's body is not a possession but , either side of the argument, it doesn't really matter since armor bonuses don't stack

meaning that the armor bonus from VoP won't stack with the armor bonus from warforged

So mechanically it doesn't really matter either way

Twurps
2021-08-14, 12:23 PM
they don't since the warforged's body is not a possession but , either side of the argument, it doesn't really matter since armor bonuses don't stack

meaning that the armor bonus from VoP won't stack with the armor bonus from warforged

Pretty much that.
The warforged isn't unique in this either. Should a monk wave his AC bonus? Or what about the Dragonscale husk ACF (Dragon Magic)? (though rereading that one, it specifically states not to stack with any other bonus.) There's a dozen other options out there.

liquidformat
2021-08-14, 12:38 PM

You are completely incorrect on this, Warforged get an unnamed armor bonus to their armor class whereas VoP gets an exalted bonus to armor class. I see no reason why these wouldn't stack. Sure warforged's armor bonus won't stack with things like mage armor as they are both 'armor bonus' but VoP is a completely different type of bonus no reason these wouldn't stack.

Aracor
2021-08-14, 12:57 PM
You are completely incorrect on this, Warforged get an unnamed armor bonus to their armor class whereas VoP gets an exalted bonus to armor class. I see no reason why these wouldn't stack. Sure warforged's armor bonus won't stack with things like mage armor as they are both 'armor bonus' but VoP is a completely different type of bonus no reason these wouldn't stack.

Vow of Poverty's Exalted bonus explicitly says that it doesn't stack with armor bonuses.

Vault756
2021-08-16, 05:14 PM

Actually you are incorrect. The VoP armor bonus explicitly says it does not stack with any other type of Armor bonus.

Thurbane
2021-08-16, 07:01 PM
From the section on VoP, the last sentence in the AC Bonus section:

This does not stack with an armor bonus.

If you can somehow read that as it does stack with other types of armor bonus, you're far better at mental gymnastics than I will ever be. :smallbiggrin:

In fact, with that last sentence, it was pretty redundant designating it as an exalted bonus in the first place.

You know, when two people have the same avatar, it sometimes look like they are arguing against themselves. :smalltongue:

liquidformat
2021-08-17, 09:09 AM
You know, when two people have the same avatar, it sometimes look like they are arguing against themselves. :smalltongue:

When two people give identical responses back to back I normally assume neither can read.

Tzardok
2021-08-17, 10:35 AM
Isn't an "armor bonus" specifically a bonus to RK from armor, while a Ring of Protection, for example, grants a deflection bonus to RK. So logically, if the warforged gains a typeless bonus to RK, it should stack with the one from VoP.

Psyren
2021-08-17, 10:43 AM
Isn't an "armor bonus" specifically a bonus to RK from armor, while a Ring of Protection, for example, grants a deflection bonus to RK. So logically, if the warforged gains a typeless bonus to RK, it should stack with the one from VoP.

I assume RK is the German form of AC and am now curious what it stands for :smallsmile:

Tzardok
2021-08-17, 10:48 AM
I assume RK is the German form of AC and am now curious what it stands for :smallsmile:

Oops, sorry. :smallredface:

You are right. It's short for Rüstungsklasse, with Rüstung being armor, and Klasse being, well, class.