PDA

View Full Version : DESIGNING A CITY: help naming city establishments and districts

Ttttttt
2021-08-13, 03:05 PM
Hey everyone, I come on this website occasionally for help designing things for my homebrew world, and today I've been hit with writer's block so I return. I'm in the middle of designing a homebrew city which while isn't the capital, is a massive metropolis that I need to flesh out (think Zadash from Critical Role). I'm having trouble of naming districts within the city and though it seems like a simple task has proved excruciatingly frustrating in every single way. So, I've come up with an idea, if any of you would be kind enough to give me a name for a city district and then an idea to go along with it (ex. gravesend, a district of the city where most of the land acts as a graveyard) then please let me know what you come up with, it will help a lot.

Thanks.

stoutstien
2021-08-13, 03:09 PM
What's the general standing in relationship between the different districts? Is it purely geographical or is it also geopolitical and/or social economical

BRC
2021-08-13, 04:04 PM
Rather than just saying "Give me things that should be in a city", it might be better to provide a list of things you WANT in the city, and then have people come up with names for those.

KorvinStarmast
2021-08-13, 04:12 PM
Hey everyone, I come on this website occasionally for help designing things for my homebrew world, and today I've been hit with writer's block so I return. I'm in the middle of designing a homebrew city which while isn't the capital, is a massive metropolis that I need to flesh out (think Zadash from Critical Role). I'm having trouble of naming districts within the city and though it seems like a simple task has proved excruciatingly frustrating in every single way. So, I've come up with an idea, if any of you would be kind enough to give me a name for a city district and then an idea to go along with it (ex. gravesend, a district of the city where most of the land acts as a graveyard) then please let me know what you come up with, it will help a lot.

Thanks.
Thieves World (https://www.google.com/search?q=Thieves%27+World+map+of+sanctuary). A series of short stories about a city called Sanctuary is set there.
I'd suggest looking at one of those maps and getting some ideas. (I read all of the books, and found it to be an enjoyable setting. IIRC, there's an AD&D 2e boxed set for it)

lall
2021-08-13, 04:14 PM
The Free District. All taxation in this district is illegal, with the exception of any voluntary taxes one wishes to pay.

Reach Weapon
2021-08-13, 05:16 PM
I've been mining this lately: Historic Districts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Historic_districts)

It would also help if you started with some basic questions:

Why was this city founded? Was it trade routes? Resources? A summer palace?
How long has it been there? How much history is there? Are there vestigial parts to the city? Has it expanded? Been built and rebuilt over itself?
What are the major events that shaped this city? Were there wars? Major fire? Drought? Did powerful families feud?
Why do people still live there? Which groups are ascendant and upon whose backs is civilization resting? How heavy is that yoke?

If you've got wealthy families, running artisan guilds, for shipping out through the canal network that feeds the region's farms, that defines a decent portion of the city structure.
If one of the major events was the destruction of the two founding lich's towers by a conclave of dragons, all sorts of areas of interest suggest themselves.
If the city is near the borders of a longstanding hot conflict, then the stream of refugees and material through the city should also shape it's character.

EggKookoo
2021-08-13, 06:31 PM
IRL, many place names are based on specific people or things in history that, while not exactly lost, are very obscure. As a result, you can pretty much jam any words or concepts together and it'll feel real.

Hardly Basin
Walltree
McPhereson's Circle (doesn't have to be circular)
Twelve Bridges (but there's 13?)
Cheese Corner
Liar Plaza
The Execution
Back Top
Stone Bridge (of course almost all bridges in the city are stone, but there's only one Stone Bridge)

...and so on.

Nikushimi
2021-08-13, 07:51 PM
I agree with the others in needing to know a bit more information. Like what this city is supposed to be?

For me, in my homebrew game I have two large cities in the Human nation. The Capital and then a large trade city built on an intersection between the Elven and Dwarven Kingdoms that runs through the Human Nation which makes it a rather large, sprawling city of merchants and trade. Arts and crafts from all nations converge here, and often it's as simple as naming something as "The Dwarven Center" or "The Forge District".

Though, you should think of what kind of city it is, like the culture and stuff. Do they really care about fancy names? Perhaps they're named after certain people. An affluential noble, or a rich merchant? Perhaps one of the founders of the city has a plaza or area named after them? Perhaps you want to find a language dictionary for the race or language that is spoken there and find things that work out. For example: The Maskan District. Maskan, according to this Link (https://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/races/elf/lexicon.shtml) it is the Elvish word for "Fire" which would make this the "Fire District". Perhaps some craftsman or the Elven Forges are here (if the city is of Elvish Origin).

Now, that being said you already have a pretty good name for a district that you gave yourself. Gravesend seems pretty neat. Might not even be a graveyard, but perhaps it's the slums or an area of a city that has been plagued by...well, a plague. So many people die and so they came to calling it "Gravesend" for anyone living there is bound to die sooner or later. Perhaps it's a haven for criminals. All up to you.
---

However, I'm not one to simply suggest thinking of things without giving SOME kind of examples.

So, here we go.

-The Slums: Very simple. It's the slums. Poor area. If you want something unique, this isn't for you.
-Merchant Sector: As the name suggests this is where the merchants are. Perhaps this is the shopping district or where the Merchants live? Perhaps this is where they come to meet and is only accessible to merchants.
-Warriors Rest: This could be the barracks or perhaps where adventurers meet and rest. Taverns and inns may be located here perhaps.
-High Haven: This could be the Noble district. Perhaps where they live or simply come to meet and converse. Could also be used as a clerical are where the main church is perhaps.
-Grand Garden: Simply named. This could be a park, a clerical area, perhaps you have druids that tend to the food production of the city. This could be considered their area. Perhaps the city is built on apothecaries and brewing, and this is where everything is grown or even made. Could be, for those Dwarven cities, a grand drinking hall. After all, there are places in our worlds called a "Beer Garden" so this could be their version of that, except....grand.
-The Pillars: If your city has a bunch of towers, this could be where the majority of them are. Perhaps they are a collection of mages towers. If it is ruled by mages perhaps this could be their "palace" perhaps. Or, it could indicate the towers positioned around the town for defenses and they're called "The Pillars" for the sense of safety they grant those living within.
-The Murk: Another way to call the slums, especially perhaps if the slums are near a body of water or if the city is built vertically and all the poor live on the bottom "In the murk" and thus its name. Could even be a name only the criminals know of. Perhaps this is where they gather.
-Crystal Road: This could be an area of high, fancy shops. Where most rich people buy from. Often expensive jewelry or glassware. Perhaps this is also the main trading road going through the town. Perhaps this is where a lot of gems are sold or even perhaps the magical items of your city.
-The Gallows: Pretty straight forward. If your city has an execution policy, this is where it's done. Often by hanging.
-Bloods Way: Similar as "The Gallows" but perhaps this is the prison area and where they often hold beheadings or hand chopping. Or, perhaps this is the butchers area where a lot of the meat can be bought? Your choice. What kind of meat are they selling?
-The Docks: Again, straight forward. It's the docks, or perhaps the warehouse district.
-Plaza of Kings: This could be the government center. Where all the laws are passed and judgement done, all while being watched over by the founders of the Kingdom. Or perhaps this is where statues of past heroes are placed.
-The Shallows: Another way to call the docks, especially perhaps a poor area surrounded the docks.
---

I could go on, but I hope you got the gist of it and perhaps helped you think of some.

Sometimes, it doesn't have to be so complicated unless there is a reason. Such as importance of an event or named after a specific person.

It's sometimes best to simply name the districts or areas after what they are, and perhaps add a bit of a spin to it.

Is it supposed to be a poor area or filled with criminals? Look at words that mean "low" or "dirty" or "dark" because often the more "Prominent" folk will call such an area after a word like that, and those there will often use it in spite and out of scorn, or perhaps even pride to say "F you" to the more "proper" folks.

Higher, more noble areas should have grand names that often speak of them being "rich" or "better" than the others. So naming it after grand things like heights, jewels, or something "clean" would be best.

Shopping districts can be really simple and often called "The Markets" or some variation. If it's more fancy, add in "Silk" or something related to wealth.

Common areas can be named after people, or perhaps their function very simply. Such as a garden or park can be named after a person or what the park is about. Such as "The Rosefield" for a garden filled with roses and perhaps an apothecary is here.

There are many ways of naming, and I definitely understand writers block. Happens when I want something to be fancy or fit a theme.

Hope this helped!

KorvinStarmast
2021-08-13, 10:44 PM
I have an old source book, Judges Guild I think, that gives suggested names for taverns.
Adjective and Noun is the standard format.

The Vulgar Unicorn
The Drunken Monkey
The Singing Carp

And so on.

EggKookoo
2021-08-14, 04:59 AM
There's also this (https://brandondraga.tumblr.com/post/66804468075/chris-perkins-npc-name-list).

If you scroll down to Ship Names, he mentions they also work as tavern names. Might also work as district names in some cases?

Nidgit
2021-08-14, 02:35 PM
The Picks: an abbreviation of "Toothpicks," referring to the shantytown that has grown outside the walls of the city.

Corvino
2021-08-14, 08:15 PM
If we're looking at the historic elements, then remember that a city does not start as a city. They usually start as a village and expand, swallowing other settlements. What is now a district used to be a town, or a fort, or a crossroads. Name that old feature, possibly abbreviate, misspell or corrupt it, and that's the district name.

Another thing of note is the neighbouring towns. It's common for cities to have a road called "... road", where "..." is the name of the town it leads to.