PDA

View Full Version : Spell for becoming Warlock Patron

Saelethil
2021-08-13, 11:36 PM
Bestow Gift
8th-level Enchantment
Casting Time: 8 hours
Range: 10 feet
Components: V, M (blood freely given by the target which the spell consumes)
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Wizard

You bestow a magical gift upon a willing humanoid. When you cast this spell you determine the terms of the arrangement, perhaps they are to serve you, perhaps they are to live by a set of rules that they may not understand. It is possible that you grant this gift out of gratitude for some service that the target did for you. Whatever the reasoning, you decide that they deserve power.
The target of your gift cannot have any character levels and must share at least one language with you. Over the course of the 8 hour casting they gain 1 level of the Warlock class of the most appropriate “patron.” From that point on they progress as any player character, by going on adventures or following your bidding, although the level that they can reach in this class can never be higher than your level -14.
You gain the following abilities due to your position as a patron:

- You can communicate with your Warlock telepathically although they may not understand you clearly if they are not sleeping.
- As an action, you can see through your Warlock’s eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, gaining the benefits of any special senses
that they have. During this time, you are deaf and blind with regard to your own senses.
- You can interact with your Warlock’s dreams, making them soothing escapes from reality or terrifying nightmares.
- You can cast spells with a range of touch on your Warlock while they are sleeping or meditating even if they are not within range.

Each Warlock that you create permanently expends one of your lowest level spell slots which you can attempt to reclaim as an action by revoking their powers. When you do this you enter a contest of wills. You and your Warlock make contested Charisma checks, if you succeed you regain the highest level slot expended by this spell and they lose their magical abilities. If for some reason your warlock wishes to leave your services the same contest is made unless you agree to release them.

__________________________________________________ _________
I know it should probably be a 9th level spell but I wanted the level of the warlock to correlate to the power of the patron and for there to be some opportunity for the warlock to level up a bit and I figured that a permanent de-buff to the caster balanced it out a little.

I'm not certain that Enchantment is the right school of magic for this but it seemed the closest fit.

I considered giving a material component with a gold cost but that didn't make sense to me thematically so I gave a long enough casting time that the target would have plenty of time to rethink their choice.