PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Mantle of Spell Resistance - Variant

jjordan
2021-08-14, 11:47 PM
self-scrubbing for reasons

Saelethil
2021-08-15, 12:33 AM
I like it. The fact that it’s not permanent also means that you could make a low level character feel incredibly cool for a little bit without breaking your game.

Morphic tide
2021-08-15, 02:19 AM
I'd actually go with it being gradually worn out with a predictable minimum endurance to fit the niche of being safety equipment, so you know for a fact you're safe from some minimum number of low-level magical effects and are unlikely to be screwed by a high-level effect as a one-off.

Maybe "Whenever you would fail a saving throw against a spell, you may use your Reaction to add a sufficient bonus to pass it, up to +15 added in total before the Cloak of Grounding falls inert," with the spell level bit thrown in somehow. Or a similar "your save value dictates endurance, not success" mechanic.

Possibly also have a largely-Adventure-irrelevant recharge mechanic like +1 per spell level of a single slot sunk into it per day, so a useful rate takes your party's too-important high-level slots, but it's there to justify consistently finding the things fully charged and give another downtime slot dump.

JNAProductions
2021-08-15, 12:04 PM
I'd actually go with it being gradually worn out with a predictable minimum endurance to fit the niche of being safety equipment, so you know for a fact you're safe from some minimum number of low-level magical effects and are unlikely to be screwed by a high-level effect as a one-off.

Maybe "Whenever you would fail a saving throw against a spell, you may use your Reaction to add a sufficient bonus to pass it, up to +15 added in total before the Cloak of Grounding falls inert," with the spell level bit thrown in somehow. Or a similar "your save value dictates endurance, not success" mechanic.

Possibly also have a largely-Adventure-irrelevant recharge mechanic like +1 per spell level of a single slot sunk into it per day, so a useful rate takes your party's too-important high-level slots, but it's there to justify consistently finding the things fully charged and give another downtime slot dump.

I'll echo this. That exact mechanic might be clunkier than you want, but the idea is sound.

Maybe something like this, to keep it simple?

Cloak Of Grounding
Wondrous Item (Cloak), Requires Attunement

While wearing this cloak, you can focus your energy into it to provide resistance to spells. When you make a save against a spell, you may use a reaction before rolling the save to grant yourself advantage on the save. Additionally, you may use a bonus action on your turn to grant yourself advantage on all saves made against spells until the end of your next turn. Doing so consumes one charge from the Cloak Of Grounding. A newly-made Cloak Of Grounding comes with 10 charges, and it has no way to regain them. When the last charge is expended, the cloak becomes a non-magical, but very comfortable and warm cloak.