PDA

View Full Version : Assessing spell effectiveness

Mitchellnotes
2021-08-15, 11:19 AM
I'm interested in exploring what goes in to how people assess how effective different spells are. All casters are limited in terms of how many spells they can learn/prepare, so to a certain extent all casters do some sort of version of this. While there are well known guides that are out there, it also is apparant that not everyone agrees with how the authors of those guides assess spells.

Please note, this thread is NOT meant as a referendum on any specific community members advice, nor is it intended as a place to surface complaints about others. I would appreciate if we framed conversations around the criteria that goes into your own analysis, not disputing the criteria of others.

This analysis could be based on how we look at spells in general or how classes may view this choice differently. For instance, warlocks are likely going to be more interested in how a spell scales up to level 5, sorcerers are less concerned about spells that are only going to target 1 individual, wizards may be more interested in rituals, etc.

I'll share some of my general thoughts to start. So things i look for when looking at spells:

1) spells to counter specific threats if i know what they are and my character knows their capabilities. Making sure to have counterspell/dispel magic prepped vs. mages, a rakshasa or beholder will likely call for specific types of spells, etc

2) spells that are guarenteed to have an effect. Wall of force being a common example of this, but also things like conjure animals, tasha's summons, plant growth/transmute rock, etc

3) versatile spells. Basically a spell that you can do a lot with. Wish being the most powerful example of this, but also something like otiluke's sphere in that it can be defensively or offensively, or the additional options provided by find steed or find familiar

4) spells that have ongoing effects. These can be things that provide more than one opportunity to have an effect (web/evard's black tentacles/storm sphere/spirit guardians) or spells that provide an option turn by turn (sunbeam/eyebite/storm sphere)

5) spells that target weaker saves- i tend to look for int -> dex -> wis and try to avoid con saves. Str saves are interesting bc enemies tend to have either really high str saves or really low saves. Cha is similar except that higher CR enemies tend to have high cha saves, eo can be really good early on and then taper off. I also preference checks over saves (like telekinesis)

6) when and what happens on a save, taking into account things like fireball still doing damage on a save, or slow providing a save at the end of turn vs. hypnotic pattern not providing any additional saves

Edit: Forgot to include that rituals are great because you may not have to spend spell slots to use them (or even prepare them to use them), and spells that don't require concentration are also more valuable. Grease, plant growth, and transmute rock all have ok effects, but bc they don't require concentration, those spells become a whole lot more valuable

So as an example of this, comparing 3 3rd level spells - summon shadowspawn, slow, and hypnotic pattern.
-All 3 have elements that key off of a wisdom save (the shadowspawns fear)
-All 3 having the ability to impact multiple enemies, and all 3 causing a debuff.
-Slow and shadowspawns ability allow saves at the end of each turn, and both cause debuffs that don't completely take an enemy out of the fight.
-Slow isn't "typed" so is more broadly useful (pattern is a charm, shadowspawn a fear), and slow can be used without worry of friendly fire.
-Shadowspawn provides an ally even if the fear effect fails
-Hypnotic pattern can completely take a number of enemies out of the fight, but isn't as useful against 1 foe

They are all good spells, but I would likely go with the shadowspawn since you always get an effect, but it has the ability to possibly provide some of what the others do

What do others take into considerstion with spell choices?

Gtdead
2021-08-15, 06:48 PM
This is such a hard question to answer. Spells are hard to judge in a vacuum and while some white room analysis may indicate that certain spells have good effects and are fairly reliable, positional spells are very volatile because they depend a lot on initiative.

I have a strong preference for reliable spells, meaning that they can't totally fail. Hazards, walls, obscurement, save for half damage, utility, summons and pets are the ones that I'm inclined to prepare. Sometimes the effect is nothing to write home about but it's easily measurable and this has a lot of value. Also spells that use bonus actions and reactions, or are persistent concentration that can transfer from encounter to encounter get bonus points.

From there on, we have spells like Hypnotic Pattern, a spell that I have a love-hate relationship. I think it's awesome and I'm itching to use it but I can never cast it in a manner that leaves me satisfied. My problem is that I value damage a lot, so when I'm in a position where I can fireball 5 enemies or cast a hypnotic pattern, I'm more likely to cast the Fireball. In order to cast HP, the enemies will have to be extremely deadly so there is a natural inclination to swap out fireball for HP at later levels, but with levels also come more immunities to conditions and higher WIS saves.

Some spells are also very sensitive to initiative order. Walls and control spells tend to be way better with high initiative while summoning spells can be used either way. I always downgrade positional spells if my build's initiative is low.

Kvess
2021-08-15, 09:38 PM
I would add to my assessments:

Spells that target multiple enemies. If a spell has a 50% chance of removing an enemy from a fight when cast at a single target, if that same spell is targeting four enemies then it has slightly more than a 93% chance of affecting at least one of them.

Spells with varied effects. Because I don’t need four spells of varying levels which restrain a target on a failed save, I will prioritize learning spells that fill a gap in the magical effects at my disposal.

Action economy. Do I have something to do with my bonus action? If not, I will be looking for spells that require a bonus action to cast or provide a use for my bonus action. Same deal with reactions. If the casting time is longer than an action, that is going to be a disincentive.

Concentration. Do all my spells of a certain level require concentration? If so, I will also be looking for options that do not require concentration.

PhantomSoul
2021-08-16, 12:33 AM
I would add to my assessments:

Spells that target multiple enemies. If a spell has a 50% chance of removing an enemy from a fight when cast at a single target, if that same spell is targeting four enemies then it has slightly more than a 93% chance of affecting at least one of them.

Spells with varied effects. Because I don’t need four spells of varying levels which restrain a target on a failed save, I will prioritize learning spells that fill a gap in the magical effects at my disposal.

Action economy. Do I have something to do with my bonus action? If not, I will be looking for spells that require a bonus action to cast or provide a use for my bonus action. Same deal with reactions. If the casting time is longer than an action, that is going to be a disincentive.

Concentration. Do all my spells of a certain level require concentration? If so, I will also be looking for options that do not require concentration.

Also, on my end: Strong preference for Spells that don't trigger repeated Saving Throws to end the effect (and baseline preference for Spells that have a guaranteed effect, when in doubt).

Big bonus if it upcasts well (e.g. by adding targets) and/or if it's at a level with less competition in the Spell List. I find level 2 is often one where I'm less inclined to have combat spells, though that's not a hard & fast rule.

Contrast
2021-08-16, 05:34 AM
1) spells to counter specific threats if i know what they are and my character knows their capabilities. Making sure to have counterspell/dispel magic prepped vs. mages, a rakshasa or beholder will likely call for specific types of spells, etc

Just to broaden this one somewhat - there are spells that counter threats that its difficult to counter without spells.

Things like AoE effects or Dispel Magic are useful for quickly dealing with hazards that without magic would present a substantial danger. If your party doesn't otherwise have a solution for a particular type of threat, a spell that deals with that threat is much more valuable than it otherwise would be.

Another caveat is the context of the person casting the spell. Interaction with class abilities can change the context of the spell substantially.

Hypnotic Pattern on a bard is a good spell. On a Glamour Bard who can whisk allies out of the AoE at will who has an Instrument of the Bards? It's insane.

I've had Haste cast on my before by a spellcaster with a +1 Con save who was in melee at the time and considered saying I wasn't a willing target because of the all but certainty of losing a turn as a result. If a sorc with Warcaster standing in a paladins aura wants to Twin Haste though, hell yeah.