PDA

View Full Version : Noob druid question.

Zeiss
2007-11-15, 12:07 PM
Is there any way to wild shape above your HD? Through feats or items or whatever?

Wraithy
2007-11-15, 01:23 PM
in short, no.

wildshape is powerful enough allready. it would be like allowing wizards to spontaniously cast any spell in their book

Overlard
2007-11-15, 04:17 PM
in short, no.

wildshape is powerful enough allready. it would be like allowing wizards to spontaniously cast any spell in their book
Or a cleric to spontaneously cast from the entirety of the cleric spell list from every book. Otherwise they're punished for playing clerics rather than favoured souls. :smallannoyed:

Thus ended any shred of confidence we had in the DM who was running a one-off game.

Hario
2007-11-15, 04:21 PM
Or a cleric to spontaneously cast from the entirety of the cleric spell list from every book. Otherwise they're punished for playing clerics rather than favoured souls. :smallannoyed:

Thus ended any shred of confidence we had in the DM who was running a one-off game.

Ironically my DM once let us do that, he told us its not that bad, I put up a fit because I told him I could just look though whatever situational spell I wanted and use it. :/ I was clericzilla and then some.

Douglas
2007-11-15, 04:44 PM
It's actually possible to do that legitimately, but you lose four caster levels for the privilege. A Rainbow Servant (Complete Divine) gets the cleric spell list added to his class spell list at level 10 but only 6 of those levels advance casting. A Warmage (Complete Arcane) can cast spontaneously from his entire class list and can easily qualify for Rainbow Servant. So, a Warmage 5/Rainbow Servant 10 can spontaneously cast any Warmage or Cleric spell in the game, but he's two spell levels behind.

Kaelik
2007-11-15, 05:46 PM
It's actually possible to do that legitimately, but you lose four caster levels for the privilege. A Rainbow Servant (Complete Divine) gets the cleric spell list added to his class spell list at level 10 but only 6 of those levels advance casting. A Warmage (Complete Arcane) can cast spontaneously from his entire class list and can easily qualify for Rainbow Servant. So, a Warmage 5/Rainbow Servant 10 can spontaneously cast any Warmage or Cleric spell in the game, but he's two spell levels behind.

Actually if you read the text instead of looking at the table (and remember, text>table) Rainbow Servant doesn't lose any caster levels.

Douglas
2007-11-15, 08:55 PM
Well yes, by RAW that is how it works, but good luck convincing your DM to go along with that. This is one case where the RAI is blatantly obvious and directly opposite to the RAW, and the RAW is obviously broken.

Temp
2007-11-15, 09:07 PM
Well yes, by RAW that is how it works, but good luck convincing your DM to go along with that. This is one case where the RAI is blatantly obvious and directly opposite to the RAW, and the RAW is obviously broken. In CharOps, someone was saying the latest printing of the book (sometime this year) has 10/10 casting in the text and on the chart.

Dunno, might mean 10/10 was intended.

...But they also said that was the Brazilian Portugese version, so I'm not sure how legitimate that would be as far as conclusive evidence.

greenknight
2007-11-15, 09:07 PM
It's not Wild Shape, but Shapechange works off Caster Level, and there's several ways to improve that as a Divine caster (Bead of Karma from a Strand of Prayer Beads, Orange Ioun Stone are two from Core).

Nebo_
2007-11-15, 09:19 PM
No, but you can use a bard's inspire greatness to get extra HD.