PDA

View Full Version : Help me fit a character in this party

Heavenblade
2021-08-16, 02:11 PM
So, long story short, my damphir way of mercy monk isn't going to survive our party's next combat. I talked to the Gm, and we agreed that I could play my character's daughter - a damphir too, still undecided on specific mechanics.

The help Im requesting here is in creating a character that will fit in the party, cover for holes role-wise, and one that I will be able to use effectively and have fun with.

The current party consists of
1. Pixie lore bard (support, face)
2. Human wild magic sorcerer (support, some blasting)
3. Moon druid (Muscle, some passive tanking by drawing fire)

The main thing that jumped to me is a ranged build that we are lacking here, but I couldn't find any that seemed interesting mechanics-wise.
I'd prefer if the class would also fit a character who is basically a teenager (so classes which require extensive training as a part of their fluff might not work here)

Any ideas for fun builds for a 4th party members would be greatly appreciated!

Edit - important to note that while the dm is very cool with HB/fixes and trusts me to make the mechanical judgment about things, I'd rather stick to 1st party regular rules (UA should be ok if there isnt a 1st party thing)

nickl_2000
2021-08-16, 02:18 PM
Honestly, it looks to me that you need a good tank in there.

Personally, I would go with a Path of the Ancestral Guardian to keep people off the sorcerer and the bard. It is fitting since it requires a connection to ancestors and rage more than long training. You could also flavor some of the ancestors that are coming back as your original PC (which would be a lot of fun). And the unearthly rage that you get could come from the death of her father (plus, no one can rage like a teenager).

Also, the Vampiric Bite is considered a weapon. So, you get to add your rage damage to the amount of HP re-gained from that. Give you a little bit extra staying power.

quindraco
2021-08-16, 02:20 PM
So, long story short, my damphir way of mercy monk isn't going to survive our party's next combat. I talked to the Gm, and we agreed that I could play my character's daughter - a damphir too, still undecided on specific mechanics.

The help Im requesting here is in creating a character that will fit in the party, cover for holes role-wise, and one that I will be able to use effectively and have fun with.

The current party consists of
1. Pixie lore bard (support, face)
2. Human wild magic sorcerer (support, some blasting)
3. Moon druid (Muscle, some passive tanking by drawing fire)

The main thing that jumped to me is a ranged build that we are lacking here, but I couldn't find any that seemed interesting mechanics-wise.
I'd prefer if the class would also fit a character who is basically a teenager (so classes which require extensive training as a part of their fluff might not work here)

Any ideas for fun builds for a 4th party members would be greatly appreciated!

Having to carry a wild magic sorcerer is a pain, but for ranged builds you could easily roll up a warlock, battlemaster fighter, or several flavors of Rogue. A paladin or cleric could also fit quite well. Really the only classes I'd probably stay away from are a Barbarian (cos of the Druid), a Wizard (cos of the Sorcerer), or a Monk (since you just stopped being one), as well as the pre-existing 3, of course. Any of the others could be made to work, it's just about what you want to play.

Amnestic
2021-08-16, 02:26 PM
While not as absurd as its UA version, Undead Warlock makes a fine ranged blaster with additional tools on top of that, and obviously fits well thematically with a dhampir. You're unlikely to see much use out of the vampiric bite though, unless you get the party to non-lethal the enemies so you can chomp down at the end of a fight, since the empower skill bonus doesn't have a time duration (notably it works on initiative, which is pretty neat!)

Gtdead
2021-08-16, 03:14 PM
I would play some Warlock/Paladin multiclass. Your party is ranged, so you being able to perform at range is a force multiplier. EB takes care of that. Paladin also provides concentration saves which can be very important with 3 casters in the party. Lastly, I think that Ancients Paladin can help mitigate the wild magic suicidal rolls although I don't have any actual experience with them so I could be wrong.

Kvess
2021-08-16, 06:02 PM
What issue were you running into with your monk? Monks and rogues can be tricky since they are martial classes, but they are very much not tanks and don’t want to be on the front line of combat.

If you want a tactically interesting ranged build that can take a few hits, I would suggest looking at the Battlemaster Fighter. With thecrossbow expert and sharpshooter feats, you’ll have some of the highest sustained damage of any martial class, maneuvers will give you tactical options, and you can even fire in melee without penalty.

Corran
2021-08-16, 09:15 PM
What's your level?
A ranged dpr was also my first thought. But ideally you want to one who can dubble as a tank when the moon druid is out of wildshapes, low on hit points or gets taken out. An EK fighter would do fine imo.

Kvess
2021-08-16, 09:55 PM
If you want to do the most damage at range, I think Fighter 2 / Warlock 2 / Sorcerer X is the absolute best at delivering Eldritch Blast.

With Warlock 2 you get Eldritch Blast and the Agonizing Blast Invocation. This lets you cast Eldritch Blast and add your Charisma Modifier to each beam. At Sorcerer 2, you get metamagic, which allows you to Quicken Eldritch Blast as a bonus action. At Fighter 2, you can action surge, which allows you to cast Eldritch Blast as an action again.

If everything hits (and assuming no crits), the damage rolls with Hex at level 17 is something like 12d10 + 12d6 + 60. That’s an average of 168 damage, and a maximum of 252. You can get that even higher with an upcasted Spirit Shroud, and you get spellslots to play around with, for tactical shenanigans.

Sigreid
2021-08-16, 09:57 PM
Battlesmith Artificer using half plate, shield and a pistol with the reloading infusion on it and a homonculous in addition to his pet aught to do the trick.

Edit: Throw in the Gunner and Sharpshooter feats to be effective in ranged and close combat without switching weapons.

Mastikator
2021-08-16, 11:41 PM
I agree with artificer, it has good ranged and utility options and is very versatile. Battlesmith or Armorer are both very strong and work with Sharpshooter.