PDA

View Full Version : How many of these traits can I shove into a single character?

Rfkannen
2021-08-16, 09:21 PM
For fun I made a list of everything that gets me excited about a character build. After I had the list I thought it would be interesting to see how many of these traits I can fit into a single character; The most I was able to get was 6, but I bet theres a way to get more! How many do you think you can get in a character?

Self healing ability (life leech/vampirism is my favorite, followed by regeneration, followed by healing spells and medicine you can apply to yourself.
Powers or theme related to the undead, celestials (especally the weirder, covered in eyes, kind), fiends, aberration, or any other type of monster
An unarmed strike (can be punching with gauntlet weapons, an actual unarmed attack, horns, bite, ect. Does not need to be the primary thing you do, just fun to have as a backup)
Play a monster (turn into a monstrous battle form, summon monsters, gain monster traits like growing bat wings or claws, play a race that is monstrous, ect)
The ability to control enemy movement (grappling, shoving, spells that hold people in place, ect)
Inbuilt plot hooks (cleric with god, warlock with patron, ect)
The ability to set up ally attacks (like by lowering enemy ac or lowering their saves, or anything like that)
“Super anime mode” (some sort of power up mode is always fun, like a battle form or growing wings or activatable auras or anything like that. I especially like ones you get at high level and can look forward to, but low level ones are fun as well.)
The ability to affect the world around them long term in some way out of combat (like awakening animals, crafting magical items, leadership abilities, terraforming, long term summoning, ect)
Physical changes to a character that match the theme as you level up. stuff like divine or dragon themed characters growing wings, mages turning into liches, druids stopping aging, I had a ranger that turned into an elemental, ect)

What character builds do you think could get the most of these traits?

JackPhoenix
2021-08-16, 09:40 PM
Unsurprisingly, the answer to most question is "spells".

Far from the only possible option, Aasimar Divine Soul Sorcerer with good Str, proficiency with Atlhetics (can be from background) and proper spell selection:

Self healing ability (life leech/vampirism is my favorite, followed by regeneration, followed by healing spells and medicine you can apply to yourself.
Obvious. You can get Vampiric Touch and have access to healing spells.

Powers or theme related to the undead, celestials (especally the weirder, covered in eyes, kind), fiends, aberration, or any other type of monster
Pretty obvious.

An unarmed strike (can be punching with gauntlet weapons, an actual unarmed attack, horns, bite, ect. Does not need to be the primary thing you do, just fun to have as a backup)
Anyone can make unarmed attacks. You can pick fighting style through a feat to be better at it. Spells can help.

Play a monster (turn into a monstrous battle form, summon monsters, gain monster traits like growing bat wings or claws, play a race that is monstrous, ect)
Shapechange. Some summoning. Other spells (Alter Self for natural attacks).

The ability to control enemy movement (grappling, shoving, spells that hold people in place, ect)
Both spells and anyone can grapple or shove. With good Str and proficiency with Athletics, you're better at it.

Yes.

The ability to set up ally attacks (like by lowering enemy ac or lowering their saves, or anything like that)
Spells, shove.

“Super anime mode” (some sort of power up mode is always fun, like a battle form or growing wings or activatable auras or anything like that. I especially like ones you get at high level and can look forward to, but low level ones are fun as well.)
Aasimar racial. Spells, again.

The ability to affect the world around them long term in some way out of combat (like awakening animals, crafting magical items, leadership abilities, terraforming, long term summoning, ect)
Spells. Leadership is just roleplay, and you already have good Cha.

Physical changes to a character that match the theme as you level up. stuff like divine or dragon themed characters growing wings, mages turning into liches, druids stopping aging, I had a ranger that turned into an elemental, ect)
Divine Soul gets wings, eventually.

That should be all of them.

Sigreid
2021-08-16, 09:55 PM
Paladin seems to tick everything on the list but the last one all on its own.

Lycurgon
2021-08-17, 01:20 AM
Playing a Dhampir from the Ravenloft book covers the first 4 points on your list. A part vampire (undead related monster) that has a self healing vampiric bite.

From there, there are a variety of options for class to add to that.
Warlock gives several options covering some of the others... Eldritch blast plus Invocations can push, pull and slow targets.
Wizards have a ton of options for controlling the battle field and can cast Tenser’s Transformation for a Super Anime Mode. Bladesingers are a lot of fun and could work well.

Contrast
2021-08-17, 04:45 AM
Paladin seems to tick everything on the list but the last one all on its own.

Yeah Minotaur Paladin was my first thought. Conquest or Glory.

Some of those boxes will not be ticked until you're high level though so it depends how patient you are.

Amnestic
2021-08-17, 05:28 AM
Dhampir Spore Druid, refluffing the druid as vampiric powers, does basically all of this. Inbuilt plot hook's a little weaker I suppose, but "thinblood dhampir growing more powerful than most vampires" is something you could do a lot with if you wanted to.

Unoriginal
2021-08-17, 06:45 AM
For fun I made a list of everything that gets me excited about a character build. After I had the list I thought it would be interesting to see how many of these traits I can fit into a single character; The most I was able to get was 6, but I bet theres a way to get more! How many do you think you can get in a character?

Scourge Aasimar Celestial Warlock or Undead Warlock gets you everything but the boosted unarmed attack, Scourge Aasimar Monk gets you everything but the physical changes (at least until the dragon book gets published).

Leonin, Tabaxi, Minotaur, Satyr, and Tortle Celestial Warlock, Divine Soul and Dragon Sorcerer, and any Monk subclass gets you everything but the super-mode.

Rukelnikov
2021-08-17, 10:31 AM
Scourge Aasimar Celestial Warlock or Undead Warlock gets you everything but the boosted unarmed attack, Scourge Aasimar Monk gets you everything but the physical changes (at least until the dragon book gets published).

Leonin, Tabaxi, Minotaur, Satyr, and Tortle Celestial Warlock, Divine Soul and Dragon Sorcerer, and any Monk subclass gets you everything but the super-mode.

I was thinking something like this too.

I love transformation power ups, and fortunately 5e has quite a bit of em. the upside is, most of these can be combined reasonably well to tick all the things you listed to varying degrees of efficiency, some will net you better unarmed combat, or a more monstrous feel, or more/better out of combat long lasting effects at your disposal. I list the ones I think are most relevant in order of relevancy I think they have for what you seem to be looking for.

Beast Barbarian has a lot of what you ask for, Self healing ability (thru biting), many natural weapon options, helps get to “Super anime mode”, and at level 6 you get the ability to alter your form every short rest to grant yourself some mobility options.

Undead Lock also has a transformation, and gets some alterations at level 6, removing the need to eat, drink, or breathe. And of course gives you spells, which you can use for various results.

Rune Knight also gives you a BA power up at 3rd level that makes you Large, along with some cool powers.

Druid obviously gives you transformations in wild shape, and you can double down on it with Moon, but I don't think thats what you are looking for. However, Spore druid may very well be up your alley, it has the monstrous feel, and you eventually get Animate Dead, Awaken, and some other spells that have lasting effects on the world. There's also stars druid power up, but doesn't seem what you are looking for.

Twilight Cleric's Channel divinity feels very much like an anime power, specially once you get to level 6 and can fly while its active. It also has obvious conections to the divine, and you can easily go for a mysterious vibe.

There's also the races to combine with the classes, the ones I think can be most relevant are:

Shifter gives you a BA transformation you can use every short rest, for various benefits and has the monstruous feel.

Dhampir has vapiric like powers but no active transformation.

Aasimar comes with a cool active transformation, plus some healing and divine ties, you can choose to go Fallen Aasimar for a scarier themed PC.

Simic Hybrid you are literally a magic/science experiment and have had your body altered by incorporating animal stuff in it, and you develop more powers at lvl 5.

You can mix and match these classes and races, take into account though that if you aim to fight unarmed as your default you will want Extra attack, and depending how many encounters you generally have per day, barbarians rage may not be enough, requiring you to take the unarmed fighting style or a race with natural weapons. Also, consider your bonus action will be heavily contested by your many transformations.

Cheesegear
2021-08-17, 10:50 AM

Lizardfolk
Druid (Moon) 2
Monk 1
Then even levels of Druid and Fighter (Samurai) until you hit 9/10 respectively.

Fighter (Samurai) 10 / Druid (Moon) 9 / Monk 1

At Druid 9 you can start Awakening donkeys and telling them to get out of your swamp.

Evaar
2021-08-17, 12:47 PM

I feel like a broken record because I just posted about this but... a Dhampir Lycan Blood Hunter.

Reflavor the Lycan form as calling on your vampiric blood, all the other features already make sense. You get advantage on strength checks, so there's your grappling (and dhampir gives 2 bonus skills, so you can afford to take athletics easily). You can heal with your bite when below half health, which means the Lycan Bloodlust drawback is largely mitigated with your dhampir bite. At level 3 you can walk on walls and ceilings hands-free and, depending on your DM, drag grappled enemies with you and possibly drop them prone once you're done with them.

As for world-changing... the backstory I had in mind when I was very recently considering this character is using the Hermit background feature "Discovery." He inadvertently discovered an alchemical process to transform humans into dhampirs.