PDA

View Full Version : Half Orc proficiency

MThurston
2021-08-17, 06:39 AM
I can't seem to find out what weapons they get to start with. I thought I read anything with the name orc in it was a martial weapon. Do they get any others for just being an half orc?

Hairfish
2021-08-17, 06:44 AM
Nope. Something like that was a rule in 3rd edition. It's not in this one. Half-orc PCs don't gain any additional weapon proficiencies from their race.

RogueJK
2021-08-17, 10:08 AM
Something like that was a rule in 3rd edition. It's not in this one.

It wasn't even a rule in 3E. The closest thing in 3E was that Dwarves got to treat Dwarven Waraxes and Dwarven Ugroshes as Martial Weapons instead of an Exotic Weapons, and Gnomes got to treat Gnomish Hooked Hammers as Martial instead of Exotic. Half-Orcs got no such benefit in 3E, even with the similarly named Orc Double Axe, which was still an Exotic Weapon even for Orcs/Half Orcs.

And there's nothing like that in 5E. 5E Half Orcs get no racial weapon proficiencies; they only get whatever weapon proficiencies are granted by their class. Gnomes in 5E also get no racial weapon proficiencies. Dwarves in 5E get racial proficiency in Battleaxes, Warhammers, Greataxes, and Light Hammers. There's no longer any such thing as a Dwarven Waraxe/Ugrosh, Gnomish Hooked Hammer, Orc Double Axe, or even any Exotic Weapons as a whole. There's only Simple and Martial weapons now. (Although I guess you could technically consider Firearms to be a sort of exotic weapon, since they're not in the standard 5E weapon list and require a special separate proficiency.)

quindraco
2021-08-17, 10:18 AM
I can't seem to find out what weapons they get to start with. I thought I read anything with the name orc in it was a martial weapon. Do they get any others for just being an half orc?

No weapons. Half-Orcs have two subraces, and their proficiencies are as follows:

Stock: Intimidation, Common, Orc
Mark of Finding: Common, Goblin

Full Orcs get these proficiencies:
Skills: Any 2 from Animal Handling, Insight, Intimidation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, and Survival.
Languages: Common, Orc

Arkhios
2021-08-17, 11:35 PM

This was a thing in 1st Edition Pathfinder RPG, also referred to (unofficially) as a "D&D 3.75 for spoiled kids", designed upon D&D 3.5 by Paizo.

strangebloke
2021-08-18, 02:17 AM
Many races in 5e such as elves and dwarves get weapon training but half-orcs aren't one of them.

Rukelnikov
2021-08-18, 02:46 AM
It wasn't even a rule in 3E. The closest thing in 3E was that Dwarves got to treat Dwarven Waraxes and Dwarven Ugroshes as Martial Weapons instead of an Exotic Weapons, and Gnomes got to treat Gnomish Hooked Hammers as Martial instead of Exotic. Half-Orcs got no such benefit in 3E, even with the similarly named Orc Double Axe, which was still an Exotic Weapon even for Orcs/Half Orcs.

I also remember there being a rule like that though. I think there was some way to treat Elven Thinblade as martial for elves.