PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How to extend a spell or make permanent?

hitchhike79
2021-08-17, 03:34 PM
Dotrin the Kobold Armorer Artificer has got a problem... hes growing a LOT!
While the increased strength has been amazing he soon wont be able to fit down the tunnels he has dug or go dungeon crawling with his friends anymore.
Starting off at 3'3" hes now grown to a height of 11'3" over night and it seems it wont stop any time soon!

He's a smart little... i mean massive Kobold but how to keep things in control seems just out of reach with the mechanics he knows of.
At lvl 10 hes got access to some spells that can help, specifically enlarge/reduce but its only a short term spell.
So before he is perhaps stuck in a dungeon he has got to figure out a way to control this size issue when needed.

By the normal DnD rules and such how do you extend a spell as an artificer? Can you?

If that doesn't work I'm thinking of working with the DM and seeing about making a custom infusion.
Perhaps sacrificing two of my infusions to make an Antman style part of my suit that so many times a day (proficiency mod) i can change my shape up or down one.

Anyways thanks for listening and your advice/knowledge.

PhantomSoul
2021-08-17, 03:43 PM
It doesn't give the Duration you want, but if you specifically want the Spell to last longer there's the Extend Spell Metamagic (through the Sorcerer Class or, if available, the Metamagic Adept Feat). If you had access to Wish, that could be used, subject to DM fiat.

Multiclassing into Rune Knight gives a way to get bigger.

In terms of (consumable) Magic Items, there's the Potion of Growth: https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Potion%20of%20Growth#content . (That could potentially be a basis for homebrew.)

clash
2021-08-17, 03:43 PM
I created a permanency spell in games I dm for four just this occasion. Homebrew but has worked pretty well in my games for those that have taken it.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?549603-Permanency-Spell

JackPhoenix
2021-08-17, 08:30 PM
In terms of (consumable) Magic Items, there's the Potion of Growth: https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Potion%20of%20Growth#content . (That could potentially be a basis for homebrew.)

What homebrew? The Potion of Diminution on the same page in the book.

If your GM uses variant rule for mixing potion, you can even make the effect permanent, if you're lucky.

PhantomSoul
2021-08-17, 08:48 PM
What homebrew? The Potion of Diminution on the same page in the book.

If your GM uses variant rule for mixing potion, you can even make the effect permanent, if you're lucky.

The homebrew is making it an infusion which is explicitly not an option for the artificer (potions are written in as explicitly impossible to replicate through infusions).

hitchhike79
2021-08-18, 03:04 PM
I hadn't thought of potions, that's a great idea if i can make it back to civilization or find a wandering Potion cart out in the wilds.

The Meta Magic wont work well for enlarge/reduce but its definitely a great ability to think about later.

Thanks all

ProsecutorGodot
2021-08-18, 03:46 PM
You'll have spell storing item next level, it would work as an antman like addition to your armor with (I assume) 10 uses of enlarge/reduce per long rest.

hitchhike79
2021-08-18, 04:33 PM
You'll have spell storing item next level, it would work as an antman like addition to your armor with (I assume) 10 uses of enlarge/reduce per long rest.

Perfect!
My first time playing Artificer so its a TON to remember and learn.
We had just leveled to 10 so this will give me time to work out how to do it and hopefully make it a longer term change.
Thanks

Chronos
2021-08-19, 06:47 PM
I'd think that the first step would be to figure out what's causing the growth in the first place. There's a good chance that whatever's causing the growth could also cause shrinkage, or you could negate the growth.

hitchhike79
2021-08-23, 07:27 PM
I'd think that the first step would be to figure out what's causing the growth in the first place. There's a good chance that whatever's causing the growth could also cause shrinkage, or you could negate the growth.

Oh im pretty sure ive figured that out, a Gift/Curse passed to the poor little Kobold. The size comes with power so kinda want to keep it i think, just need to control the size when possible.
I dont want to share much because its official content and dont want to take away from anyone else getting to experience this.