PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Enchancing the versatility of Barbarians

Yakmala
2021-08-17, 04:06 PM
Barbarians have been one of my most played classes throughout 5th edition, and I've only enjoyed the class more with the release of XGtE and now TCoE. I've played Totem a number of times (Bear, Wolf and Elk), Zealot, Ancestral Guardian, Storm Herald and most recently Beast.

One knock against Barbarians has always been their versatility. They're great in combat, can be enhanced by GWM and PAM or by taking various grappling or shield feats, but aren't always a big contributor to skill checks (unless something heavy needs to be lifted or a door kicked open). Any class can roleplay, of course, but they don't always have the skills to back it up, and typically have a lot of attribute points tied up in Strength and Constitution, where the least number of skills live.

But with Tasha's, we now have a number of new feats that enhance both fighting versatility and skills. This, paired with the ability to re-arrange racial attributes and skills can make nearly any race a viable Barbarian and potentially make a Barbarian that can serve their traditional role while also bringing new things to the table.

So, I'm interested in hearing how all of you have gone about enhancing your Barbarians. What have you added to the base chassis to make them more fun and versatile?

Man_Over_Game
2021-08-17, 04:48 PM
Barbarians have been one of my most played classes throughout 5th edition, and I've only enjoyed the class more with the release of XGtE and now TCoE. I've played Totem a number of times (Bear, Wolf and Elk), Zealot, Ancestral Guardian, Storm Herald and most recently Beast.

One knock against Barbarians has always been their versatility. They're great in combat, can be enhanced by GWM and PAM or by taking various grappling or shield feats, but aren't always a big contributor to skill checks (unless something heavy needs to be lifted or a door kicked open). Any class can roleplay, of course, but they don't always have the skills to back it up, and typically have a lot of attribute pointed tied up in Strength and Constitution, where the least number of skills live.

But with Tasha's, we now have a number of new feats that enhance both fighting versatility and skills. This, paired with the ability to re-arrange racial attributes and skills can make nearly any race a viable Barbarian and potentially make a Barbarian that can serve their traditional role while also bringing new things to the table.

So, I'm interested in hearing how all of you have gone about enhancing your Barbarians. What have you added to the base chassis to make them more fun and versatile?

I've been fond of adding Slasher to an Ancestral Guardian that focuses on kiting away from his enemies to leverage his AG powers for his team. Using a Whip, Slasher slows the enemy down by 10 feet, the reach of the Whip lets me move around without provoking OAs while also preserving my movement, I can attack recklessly for better accuracy without worry of retaliation, and the one-handed weapon lets me increase my AC in case I do happen to get cornered/sniped. It's not like I need to deal that much weapon damage as a Barbarian, since I have a Rage damage bonus anyway.

I also really like the idea of optimized Gnomish Barbarians. Not only do they come with Advantage against the saves that Barbarians suffer against the most but you also gain the power to speak with animals, which works perfectly with your skillset and class. Plus, the idea of a Gnome going postal and ruining your day is a concept that adds a lot of color to any table.

strangebloke
2021-08-18, 02:29 AM
This may seem like a poopy solution but barbarian multiclasses are hilariously fun imo.

Get you a barbarian. Any kind. Then after 5th level, you just go into rogue. This is where the fun begins. You can now sneak attack. Recklessly. Yes this means that you never have to worry about positioning for sneak attack. With the extra damage this provides you can use TWF or carry a shield. You can do both! You can use cunning action with fast movement to fly across the field of battle to your enemy and then recklessly attack them. You get expertise in athletics and while raging you also have advantage on those checks. You can grab other expertise to broaden your horizons a bit. Maybe pick up history or something. When raging, damage is cut in half as normal, but when you get uncanny dodge you can cut it in half again. 15 becomes 7 becomes 3. :smallsmile:

And this synergy works with any combination of subclasses. I know you've already done Elk, but +15 walking speed is really hilarious with cunning action.

As for the other big multiclass option, let me just happily inform you that if you get two levels of moon druid and turn into a bear, every single one of your barbarian class features functions as normal. That's right. Rage Damage on 2d6 claws. Extra attack. Reckless claws. Resistance to all damage.

Be a bear, inside of a bear, pretending to be another bear!

Jerrykhor
2021-08-18, 02:34 AM
Yeah, i am currently playing a Totem barb, and the problem is that the utility is hard to use. Their ribbon ability, Spirit Seeker, requires 10min to cast. Its annoying and most times impossible to use. Lets say if the party is jumped by a pack of wild beasts, there's no way you have the time to cast it. So i usually end up rolling Animal Handling checks, failing that, its rolling Initiative.

Bosh
2021-08-18, 03:10 AM
Simplest fix is allowing out of combat raging.

Ralanr
2021-08-18, 08:49 AM
Simplest fix is allowing out of combat raging.

You can already do that can you not? It’s just a bonus action. Yeah you only get to keep it for one move since your rage drops unless you take damage or attack something, but nothings stopping you from raging to move the Boulder.

stoutstien
2021-08-18, 08:54 AM
You can already do that can you not? It’s just a bonus action. Yeah you only get to keep it for one move since your rage drops unless you take damage or attack something, but nothings stopping you from raging to move the Boulder.

Questionable. First line of rage clearly states "in battle" and the whole attack or take damage to maintain issue.

Usually that isn't an hang-up as much as the rather small pool of rages to work with.