PDA

View Full Version : Dragon turtle build(pyromancer)

Amdy_vill
2021-08-17, 10:20 PM
So I have become inspired to make a dragon turtle dragon born like character. Most of the stuff I can find on pyromancers is pre tashas so I'm looking for help. My idea after quickly looking at things was sorcerer draconic 6 druid wildfire 6, warlock genie 6 and wizard conjeration 2. Picking up elemental adept for fire. With turtle as the race tho I'm open to reflavoring any race. I like the new dragon born options too.

My table uses all wotc books plus matt mercer. So that's all on the table. Thanks for the help.

Blood of Gaea
2021-08-17, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure why you're wanting to multiclass so much? Is there a specific theme or synergy you're going for that could be covered by going all-in on Artillerest Artificer, Evocation Wizard, or Draconic Sorcerer?

Amdy_vill
2021-08-18, 08:11 AM
I'm not sure why you're wanting to multiclass so much? Is there a specific theme or synergy you're going for that could be covered by going all-in on Artillerest Artificer, Evocation Wizard, or Draconic Sorcerer?

I want to play a highly optimized pyromancer. I want to be able to deal out the most fire damage possible as consistently as possable. wildfire, draconic, and genie all give me extra fire damage with the levels in wizard giving me reliable access to oil and alchymist fire.

The idea the took me was this hyper-aggressive front-line caster who will light themselves on fire if it means doing more damage to the enemy.

Unoriginal
2021-08-18, 08:42 AM
with the levels in wizard giving me reliable access to oil and alchymist fire.

Sorry, how do levels in wizard give you access to alchemist's fire?

Amdy_vill
2021-08-18, 08:51 AM

conjuration wizards minor conjuration

You can use your action to conjure up an inanimate object (no larger than 3 ft. on a side and no more than 10 lb.) in your hand or in an unoccupied space that you can see within 10 ft. of you. The object disappears after 1 hour, when you use this feature again, or if it takes or deals any damage.

It lets you do cool things

CheddarChampion
2021-08-18, 09:46 AM
Is Alchemist's Fire considered magical? If it is, you can't conjure it with minor conjuration.

As for builds, what about Evocation Wizard 2 or 3 + Draconic Sorcerer X?
8/10/16/14/10/16 if you use Tasha's.
Sculpt Spells is great for blasters who want to avoid friendly fire but still get a lot of enemies on an AOE.
Elemental Affinity grants a +5 to fire damage. Metamagic is good as always.

Just be sure to avoid picking/preparing spells that are all different versions of the same thing. Fireball and Burning Hands have a lot of overlap, while Fireball and Wall of Fire have less overlap.

Hairfish
2021-08-18, 09:47 AM
I think leaving 2 ASIs/feats on the table, cutting your short rest slots off at 3rd level, being MAD for some of your spells, and maxing out known spells at 3rd level deprives you of a lot of fire damage that the multiple subclass features you're aiming for don't adequately compensate for. For example, the bonus 1d8 fire damage from 6th-level druid applies to only one enemy in the blast radius of a Fireball or one hit of Scorching Ray; you could put all those levels in Sorcerer and be able to cast Wall of Fire, Immolation, and Investiture of Flame.

They appear to be using the Minor Conjuration feature of 2nd-level Conjurer to create "flask of [oil/alchemists fire]". A few fun applications as traps, but quickly outclassed by even Fire Bolt in combat.

RogueJK
2021-08-18, 11:22 AM
sorcerer draconic 6 druid wildfire 6, warlock genie 6 and wizard conjeration 2
I want to play a highly optimized pyromancer. I want to be able to deal out the most fire damage possible as consistently as possable.

If optimization is your goal as stated, then you certainly don't want to limit yourself to only 3rd level spells and water down all your class abilities with excessive multiclassing. Not to mention how overly MAD this would be, needing a high INT/CHA/WIS and a decent CON (and DEX if non-Tortle). Plus many of your class abilities, like your Wildfire Spirit, are based around class level.

In nearly all cases, the path to optimized multiclassing is to pick one primary class, then possibly dip into a second class (typically for 1-3ish levels) if it makes sense for a specific goal. Very rarely is triple- or especially quadruple-classing going to be optimized. This is especially true for casters, who want focus on minimizing delays to their primary class' higher level spells. Going for 50/50 or 33/33/33 or 25/25/25/25 multiclass splits just results in you being well behind the power curve at mid-to-high levels, with lots of lower-level spells/abilities but no higher level ones.

There's no true "pyromancer" class in official publications, though there are some quasi-official options like the Pyromancy Sorcerer from the Plane Shift - Kaladesh supplement, available for free here: https://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

Or the Zeal Cleric from Plane Shift - Amonkhet, available here: https://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/plane-shift_amonkhet.pdf

Something like a Zeal Cleric 2/Pyromancy Sorcerer X would be an ideal frontline Fire-based blaster, with medium/heavy armor, lots of Fire spells, and the ability to Maximize fire damage once per short rest. However, that would hinge upon your DM allowing the use of these quasi-official Magic The Gathering supplements put out by WotC.

So if that's not an option, the closest official options for a Pyromancer would be something like a Red Draconic Sorcerer or Evocation Wizard. Or possibly a Wildfire Druid, if you're willing to give up access to Fireball - the most iconic fire-based spell - in exchange for gaining the ability to regularly summon a fire-based ally. Pick one of those classes as your primary, and then determine if there's a specific reason for dipping into something else.

No matter what you choose, you'll want the Elemental Adept: Fire feat. Fire damage is one of the most commonly resisted elements. And even then, this won't help against enemies that are totally immune to fire, which are also fairly common. So you'll want some non-fire spells as backup.

Bobthewizard
2021-08-18, 01:12 PM
For a dragon turtle pyromancer within the rules, I would play a Tortle Dragonborn sorcerer (fire) +/- 2 levels in evocation wizard after sorcerer 6.

RogueJK
2021-08-18, 01:58 PM
For a dragon turtle pyromancer within the rules, I would play a Tortle Dragonborn sorcerer (fire) +/- 2 levels in evocation wizard after sorcerer 6.

That's how I'd do it as well. Something like:

Tortle Fire Draconic Sorcerer, possibly dipping Evocation Wizard 2 after Sorcerer 6 if you really want Sculpt Spell (as well as some low level rituals and a few extra utility cantrips)
STR 8
DEX 10
CON 13+1
INT 14
WIS 12
CHA 15+2

Take Elemental Adept: Fire at Sorcerer 4 and a +1 CHA half-feat like Telekinetic/Fey Touched/Skill Expert/etc. at Sorcerer 8 (or vice versa). And then +2 CHA at Sorcerer 12.