PDA

View Full Version : How useful is relentless hex to take as a Hexblade?

Hiro Quester
2021-08-18, 07:47 AM
In theory, relentless hex seems a useful invocation for a hexblade. You can teleport 30 feet, to any target of your hexblade curse or hex, as a bonus action.

However you have many other demands for your bonus action, such as moving your curse, casting hex or ice field, etc.

And there are several other useful invocations one could take instead.

how much use does it get in practice?

As I understand it, it would mostly be used for when the target of your Curse is far enough away that you cannot close to melee distance in one round. It enables you to add extra movement as a bonus action, so you can start slicing up the bad guy sooner. Or maybe to overcome difficult terrain, avoid Opportunity attacks from an enemy with PAM,etc.

But if your first round bonus action is taken up in casting Hex or activating your curse, you would use regular movement to close in while doing that. You have to already be within 30 feet to apply the curse, anyway. So you could just walk up to them.

So would you often need to use your bonus action to teleport close?

Those of you who have played a hexblade with this invocation: How useful was it in practice? How often? Is it worth it?

Segev
2021-08-18, 08:15 AM
I don't know how useful it is, but I feel the need to point out that if you are able to spend a bonus action to move the hex to a new target, you don't have a target to teleport to before you do so, so that isn't competition for the bonus action, just a bit of a traffic jam for it.

KorvinStarmast
2021-08-18, 09:17 AM
In theory, relentless hex seems a useful invocation for a hexblade. You can teleport 30 feet, to any target of your hexblade curse or hex, as a bonus action.

I have seen it in action for a few levels now; our hexblade uses it with good effect to get to and onto a variety of enemies who need to be shreded by his eldritch smite. (Includes a death tyrant and a void dragon)

Recommended.

stoutstien
2021-08-18, 12:08 PM
It okay. Some of better some are worse. If you like the flavor use it but in the grand scheme it not that impactful.