PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Touched of the Tomb: Undead Sorcerer

sandmote
2021-08-18, 06:08 PM
This page on the hombrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/7BbCpjz0mmEZ)

This is an attempt at a short range sorcerer. Where the Stone Sorcerer attempted a form of damage reduction, I've gone with a form of non-concentration paralysis to keep the sorcerer on their feet. Although given eh base class they should still probably avoid going into melee with strong single targets or large swarms. On the up side they're probably more able to deal with large swarms at range compared to a lot of melee characters: could reasonably blast at range before moving in to finish the job.

Fluff
Most undead are created by necromantic forces after death and many others turn themselves to undeath by external force. But some few, still-living at birth or exposed directly to the powers of the plane of undeath, who naturally develop the abilities associated with the undead.

Undead Fortitude
When you choose this sorcerous origin at 1st level, when you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

This fortitude also strengthens your body. Your hit point maximum increases by 1, and it increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class. Also, while you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Charisma modifier.

Too much? On the other hand, the unarmored defense bit is probably the only thing for a few levels that's worth multiclassing for.

Visage of Death
Starting at 1st level, you can use a bonus action on your turn to assume a horrific appearance, immediately before or after you cast a spell of 1st level or higher. Each creature within 5 feet of you that can see you must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC or be frightened for 1 minute. A frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the frightened condition on itself on a success.

This was written before I added the unarmed defense bit, but it only applies against single targets.

Ghoultouched
At 6th level, your fingers turn long and pointed like the claws of a ghast. When you make an unarmed strike using your hands, you deal 1d6 + your strength modifier slashing damage. Additionally, when you take the Attack action on your turn and attack using your unarmed strike, you can make a second attack using your claws as part of the same action.

When you hit using your claws, you can expend 3 sorcery points to channel the paralytic power of a ghoul into your strike. If the target is a creature other than an undead, it must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

The damage from your unarmed strikes increases as you gain levels, to 1d8 at 10th level and 1d10 at 18th level.

Limited extra attack and short range Hold Monster knockoff. I don't want to allow the regular extra attack here to avoid dip bait. Monk/Sorcerer multiclassing is probably fine though; that is so insanely MAD I doubt it would be broken.

One Foot in the Beyond
Beginning at 10th level, the necrotic energy suffusing your body inures you to magic targeted at living creatures. When you are targeted by any effect, you can choose to count as an undead, rather than a humanoid, for the purposes of determining creature type.

You also gain resistance to necrotic and poison damage as well as immunity to disease.

Resistances later than the school of necromancy grants them, but you also gain immunity to some spells, like hold person and charm person.

Necrotic Innervation
At 18th level, you gain immunity to poison, as well as necrotic damage. Additionally, your hit point maximum can't be reduced.

As a bonus action, you can transform yourself into a fully undead form. Your hit point maximum increases by 40 points, your claws gain the light property, and you gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. While in this form, the range of your visage of death increases to 60 feet. In addition, when you use your visage of death you can choose any number of creatures within range to automatically succeed on the saving throw.

You remain in this form for 1 hour. It ends early if you die or if you dismiss it as a bonus action. Once you use this feature, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest, unless you spend 6 sorcery points to use it again.

Taken from the shadow sorcerer. I hope it isn't broken? The intent is that the poison and necrotic immunities (like those of the storm sorcerer) are permanent but the transformation is limited. not 100% that is clear as written.

Saelethil
2021-08-18, 06:47 PM
Very cool, very thematic!
My one suggestion would be to move the un-armored defense to 6th level to make it a little less tempting for dips. It probably isn’t any better than mage armor until 4th anyway with standard array or point buy.
I’m not as familiar with sorcerers as with most of the other classes but it doesn’t look overpowered to me.

sandmote
2021-08-18, 10:15 PM
My one suggestion would be to move the un-armored defense to 6th level to make it a little less tempting for dips. It probably isn’t any better than mage armor until 4th anyway with standard array or point buy.

I would honestly rather just drop that bit, if the other 1st level features aren't too weak?

Saelethil
2021-08-19, 08:51 AM
I would honestly rather just drop that bit, if the other 1st level features aren't too weak?

That would probably be fine but I do think there’s a place in the game for Cha. un-armored defense and it would make sense for this subclass. My point was just that I would make it require more of an investment for a multi-class. Otherwise every bard, warlock, and dexadin will be running around naked.

sandmote
2021-08-19, 03:31 PM
That would probably be fine I'll rather just strip it out because I actually don't think it particularly fits this subclass. I was mostly just worried about a melee sorcerer's survivability.

but I do think there’s a place in the game for Cha. un-armored defense ... My point was just that I would make it require more of an investment for a multi-class. Otherwise every bard, warlock, and dexadin will be running around naked. To be honest, it would probably need to be a feature for a bard. I think 6th level is a bit too late to grant that kind of feature, paladin features are entirely standardized until 15th level, and Warlock and Sorcerer can only get it at 1st if they get it sooner than 6th.