PDA

View Full Version : Stupor Monk (Spheres in Review)

SangoProduction
2021-08-18, 09:14 PM
Preamble: I have no idea why, but I’ve suddenly had an obsession with the Stupor Monk archetype from Spheres of Might. I was wondering if I should start reviewing the archetypes. Most of them are so… inconsequential… that it seems like I would have to do them all in a single review just to have any content. And then I have to trudge through all the abilities of every class just to get a baseline of what’s being improved and where the synergies are. Ugh.

And then there’s this drunken bastard.
I think this review’s just going to be on Stupor Monk, analyzing the good, the bad, and the hilarious.

Link (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y2NMmy6FFkFzXkVd8Qc-vD5EE1pZbIU7qAjLMdnnG4Q/edit?usp=sharing)

Post-Review Analysis:
You know? For a drinking master, the Stupor Monk is a remarkable lightweight. Just 4 drinks, and he’s out like a light.

Wow. This entire review has just been an indictment of the Monk class. Damn. I thought I never jumped on the bandwagon. But man, it really is just bad at what it does.
This archetype? Improves on it in almost every way.

I do find it funny how dying is literally less bad of a consequence than whatever the heck Body of Booze was trying to do. Body of Booze literally turns the most optimal way to play into the least fun one. And that is an absolute failure of design.

Anyway, overall? The drunken gates definitely peak at level 8. You might want to stick it out for 2 more levels to grab the 2 extra flex talents. If there are more Ki Powers you’re looking for, go ahead. But the archetype and class don’t improve much more past this.

A.J.Gibson
2021-08-19, 12:40 PM
Most of the archetypes are just 'You gain sphere X, you use your class level as your caster level with this sphere. This stacks normally with other caster level sources.' There are a few which are meaty enough to warrant a deep dive, but maybe doing archetypes by class could be a thing (i.e., all fighter archs, all wizard archs, etc.)

SangoProduction
2021-08-20, 10:54 AM
Most of the archetypes are just 'You gain sphere X, you use your class level as your caster level with this sphere. This stacks normally with other caster level sources.' There are a few which are meaty enough to warrant a deep dive, but maybe doing archetypes by class could be a thing (i.e., all fighter archs, all wizard archs, etc.)

Yeah. That's the way I intended to do it.

Going to be rough, if I ever get around to it.