PDA

View Full Version : Movies Eternals - Final Trailer

Palanan
2021-08-19, 06:42 AM
Now with 500% more laser eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_me3xsvDgk

On the one hand, they do give a wafer-thin justification for why the Eternals didn't fight Thanos, although it really doesn't hold up.

On the other, lots of laser eyes. And fighty stuff. And really dramatic music. And a quick shot of some giant six-eyed cosmic being who I assume is a giant six-eyed easter egg of some sort.

Yeah, hard pass on this one.

Kareeah_Indaga
2021-08-19, 07:33 AM
On the one hand, they do give a wafer-thin justification for why the Eternals didn't fight Thanos, although it really doesn't hold up.

Gotta agree with this. Humans are expected to take on 5-Stone Thanos and multiple other alien invasions but the mutated dinosaur people are too much?

I do kind of wonder if they’re going use the Deviants to populate the MCU Savage Land.

And a quick shot of some giant six-eyed cosmic being who I assume is a giant six-eyed easter egg of some sort.

I believe that’s a Celestial. I think you were in the last thread where it came up but for the people that weren’t: remember Knowhere in Guardians of the Galaxy? That was a Celestial’s head.

Seerow
2021-08-19, 09:37 AM
I believe that’s a Celestial. I think you were in the last thread where it came up but for the people that weren’t: remember Knowhere in Guardians of the Galaxy? That was a Celestial’s head.

So I was like 99.9% certain that Ego had identified himself as a celestial, but he looks nothing like that thing in the trailer. Was Ego lying? Do celestials come in more shapes and sizes? Or is this thing different?

Wintermoot
2021-08-19, 09:44 AM
So I was like 99.9% certain that Ego had identified himself as a celestial, but he looks nothing like that thing in the trailer. Was Ego lying? Do celestials come in more shapes and sizes? Or is this thing different?

We don't know. They definitely come in different shapes and sizes (based on comic precedence), but Ego could've been lying too. He was like that. If Ego WAS telling the truth (big if) then yeah, he's of the same group of people as the trailer.

Man I really, REALLY hope there is more to the deviants than just some souped up dinosaurs. I want me my Ghaur and Kro and other weird monster-men dangit! That would be the disappoint.

Also, not a single scene of BK with a sword. I'm starting to think that Dane Whitman is just going to be a normal scientitian in this movie with no black knight ness at all.

I'm personally tired of everyone in the MCU becoming a sarcastic quipster, but Phastos' line reading on "you know what has never saved the universe? Your sarcasm" cracked. me. up.

I think the movie looks beautiful, but it wasn't what I was hoping for I guess. I was hoping for more Kirby-esque brightness. You know, hidden cities deep under the earth. Monsters in elaborate armor pulling levers on enormous chunky machines. deviants who are more head than body.

GloatingSwine
2021-08-19, 09:52 AM
We don't know. They definitely come in different shapes and sizes (based on comic precedence), but Ego could've been lying too. He was like that. If Ego WAS telling the truth (big if) then yeah, he's of the same group of people as the trailer.

Man I really, REALLY hope there is more to the deviants than just some souped up dinosaurs. I want me my Ghaur and Kro and other weird monster-men dangit! That would be the disappoint.

Eh, when you're an all powerful space goober you can be a planet if you want.

Wintermoot
2021-08-19, 10:01 AM
Eh, when you're an all powerful space goober you can be a planet if you want.

I suspect when it all plays out, it will be revealed that Ego was lying about being a celestial. Now whether that was the intention of James Gunn all along or just a retrofit from some later creator will never be clear, but that's life in the industry of comic book properties. Everything you do can and will be undone by those who come after you.

Psyren
2021-08-19, 10:33 AM
So they know what vibranium is and how to shape it... hmmm...

On the other, lots of laser eyes. And fighty stuff. And really dramatic music. And a quick shot of some giant six-eyed cosmic being who I assume is a giant six-eyed easter egg of some sort.

Yeah, hard pass on this one.

I find it amusing you made a whole thread about it just to say "hard pass" :smalltongue: I was going to post in the Phase 4 thread.

I suspect when it all plays out, it will be revealed that Ego was lying about being a celestial. Now whether that was the intention of James Gunn all along or just a retrofit from some later creator will never be clear, but that's life in the industry of comic book properties. Everything you do can and will be undone by those who come after you.

But Ego IS a Celestial. Just a much younger one than the others.

Well, the tall one wrapping up Thena at 2:18 certainly isn't a dinosaur.

And frankly, I'd honestly much rather them just be monsters if we're doing Deviants at all. The comic's original conceit of "pretty surface humanoids Good, ugly underground humanoids Evil!" did not age well.

In fact, make them be the various monsters and demons from myths and legends that the various mythological gods the Eternals were mistaken for were fighting. Basilisks, rakshasa, gorgons, the whole nine yards.

Lemmy
2021-08-19, 11:21 AM
I... Completely forgot this even was a thing.

I guess it's just another MCU Phase 4 underwhelming movie to ignore...

Palanan
2021-08-19, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga
I do kind of wonder if they’re going use the Deviants to populate the MCU Savage Land.

I only vaguely recall the Savage Land, and I have to wonder if that concept would be as plausible these days. Wakanda hiding under a giant holodome is something I can roll with, but how would the Savage Land escape detection? Unless there are Savage Land wizards or whatnot?

Yup, familiar with Knowhere, especially given the reminder from What If yesterday.

Was it also a Celestial who was briefly shown using the Power Stone, in the little presentation that the Collector gave in the first Guardians movie? I remember six eyes, a big staff, purple lightning and lots of people being vaporized.

Originally Posted by Wintermoot
I think the movie looks beautiful, but it wasn't what I was hoping for I guess.

As someone with nearly zero exposure to the original comics, this just looks overwhelmingly generic to me.

At least for me, it might have worked better if it came much earlier in the MCU. But as it is, I just don’t see anything to care about. I’m much more interested in the Neolithic goat-herders than the people who are supposed to be protecting them.

From, apparently, the one threat that hasn’t shown up in the last seven thousand years?

Eldan
2021-08-19, 11:54 AM
Wow, this looks boring. Also the humour is incredibly cringey.

Why should I watch discount Cyclops fight the discount leftovers from Jurassic World again?

Wintermoot
2021-08-19, 12:05 PM
{Scrubbed}

Psyren
2021-08-19, 12:05 PM
Yup, familiar with Knowhere, especially given the reminder from What If yesterday.

Was it also a Celestial who was briefly shown using the Power Stone, in the little presentation that the Collector gave in the first Guardians movie? I remember six eyes, a big staff, purple lightning and lots of people being vaporized.

Yep!

(Per the wiki, that guy is Eson the Searcher. (https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Eson_the_Searcher))

discount Cyclops

His powerset is more Superman actually (FISS + laser eyes)

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

I don't have an issue with posting about the thing, but MAKING the thread about the thing is what amuses me. It would be like me making a Cruella thread :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2021-08-19, 12:09 PM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

I... wathced a trailer and then commented my opinion on it? Isn't that kind of what a forum is for?

I mean, it could just be a misleadingly cut trailer, wouldn't be the first.

Wintermoot
2021-08-19, 12:18 PM
But Ego IS a Celestial. Just a much younger one than the others.

Well, the tall one wrapping up Thena at 2:18 certainly isn't a dinosaur.

And frankly, I'd honestly much rather them just be monsters if we're doing Deviants at all. The comic's original conceit of "pretty surface humanoids Good, ugly underground humanoids Evil!" did not age well.

In fact, make them be the various monsters and demons from myths and legends that the various mythological gods the Eternals were mistaken for were fighting. Basilisks, rakshasa, gorgons, the whole nine yards.

First, we ONLY have Ego's word that he is a celestial and he's as unreliable a source as there could possibly be. I'll assume he is one until some future marvel property says "nope not really" but I won't be shocked when that happens.

I'm pretty sure the tall thing wrapping up Thena will turn out to be the Eternal "bad guy" Druig in some "final form" and not a Deviant.

As for not aging well, I don't really see why. This isn't a skin color thing, it's not a surface racial allegory like elves/dark elves. But to each their own. I just really love Kirby's crazy Deviant designs.

Not a bad idea about the Basilisks, Rakshasa, Gorgon thing though. I like that.

Psyren
2021-08-19, 12:39 PM
First, we ONLY have Ego's word that he is a celestial and he's as unreliable a source as there could possibly be. I'll assume he is one until some future marvel property says "nope not really" but I won't be shocked when that happens.

Word of God is that he is one. (https://collider.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-ego-explained/) They can always retcon it later of course but for now, I'll be going with the creator's direct quote.

I'm pretty sure the tall thing wrapping up Thena will turn out to be the Eternal "bad guy" Druig in some "final form" and not a Deviant.

Certainly possible.

As for not aging well, I don't really see why. This isn't a skin color thing, it's not a surface racial allegory like elves/dark elves. But to each their own. I just really love Kirby's crazy Deviant designs.

Not a bad idea about the Basilisks, Rakshasa, Gorgon thing though. I like that.

If the cosmic order reinforces "pretty = good, ugly = evil" that means it's not only possible but prudent to judge a being's morality based on their appearance. That many not exactly be judging by skin color, but it's not far off either. Given what the MCU did with the Skrulls in Captain Marvel, they seem to want to have a bit more nuance than that.

Wintermoot
2021-08-19, 12:42 PM
Word of God is that he is one. (https://collider.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-ego-explained/) They can always retcon it later of course but for now, I'll be going with the creator's direct quote.

I feel like I was sufficiently clear about saying that Gunn meant him to be a Celestial, but that I won't be surprised if some future creators retcons it. So you are disagreeing with me by agreeing with me.{Scrubbed}

Psyren
2021-08-19, 12:44 PM
I feel like I was sufficiently clear about saying that Gunn meant him to be a Celestial, but that I won't be surprised if some future creators retcons it. So you are disagreeing with me by agreeing with me. {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

Your exact words were "we only have Ego's word" and that is what I was disagreeing with. The author's statement matters too.

understatement
2021-08-19, 01:02 PM
It looks really nice, and the scope seems impressive. And I'm interested seeing what Chloe Zhao will do on the big screen.

I'll admit that the only trailer I genuinely liked from Marvel was Infinity War, but the movie's already on my to-watch list anyway.

Zevox
2021-08-19, 03:53 PM
Oh hey, an Eternals trailer that actually gives a decent idea of what the movie's about rather than being super vague about it. Wonder what took them so long with that?

Not much else to say about the trailer itself - I mean, I can't even remember the last time a trailer for any movie, no matter what I wound up feeling about it, didn't feel much the same as every other movie trailer to me. But Marvel's earned enough trust out of me that I'll give films about characters I've never heard from with them a shot. Nice to actually have a clearer idea of the premise here at last though.

GloatingSwine
2021-08-19, 04:13 PM
Oh hey, an Eternals trailer that actually gives a decent idea of what the movie's about rather than being super vague about it. Wonder what took them so long with that?

Waiting until after Shang Chi had premiered, probably.

Kareeah_Indaga
2021-08-19, 07:03 PM
I only vaguely recall the Savage Land, and I have to wonder if that concept would be as plausible these days. Wakanda hiding under a giant holodome is something I can roll with, but how would the Savage Land escape detection? Unless there are Savage Land wizards or whatnot?

Maybe...it was buried under the ice caps and it's revealed now that they're melted??? Wiki entry says one of its comics locations was Antarctica. Or maybe it'll get pulled in from an alternate Earth, or something. :smallconfused: I agree it's going to be tricky if they ever do it.

At least for me, it might have worked better if it came much earlier in the MCU. But as it is, I just don’t see anything to care about. I’m much more interested in the Neolithic goat-herders than the people who are supposed to be protecting them.

From, apparently, the one threat that hasn’t shown up in the last seven thousand years?

Honestly that's still my biggest hangup. I'll accept a lot of hand waves for why various heroes don't show up in each others' movies, but 'we chose not to help because it wasn't this one specific threat' doesn't fly if they still want me to call them heroes.

This. :smallbiggrin: Honestly they could have skipped over that first trailer all together, saved the budget for something else.

Palanan
2021-08-19, 08:18 PM
Or maybe it'll get pulled in from an alternate Earth, or something.

Some kind of multiverse approach might be feasible, although that would have its own complications. But a guest appearance in the next Dr. Strange could be a way to introduce it.

Honestly that's still my biggest hangup. I'll accept a lot of hand waves for why various heroes don't show up in each others' movies, but 'we chose not to help because it wasn't this one specific threat' doesn't fly if they still want me to call them heroes.

Same here, exactly.

It also raises the sticky question of whether any of them were Snapped.

Psyren
2021-08-19, 08:55 PM
Well, just because they know about the Snap doesn't mean the amnesia part of their origin isn't still around.

Maybe...it was buried under the ice caps and it's revealed now that they're melted??? Wiki entry says one of its comics locations was Antarctica. Or maybe it'll get pulled in from an alternate Earth, or something. :smallconfused: I agree it's going to be tricky if they ever do it.

Eh, if they did Madripoor I don't think the Savage Land will be that big a deal.

Waiting until after Shang Chi had premiered, probably.

Isn't that two weeks from now?

They're not heroes though. Or at least, becoming heroes is a likely arc here.

Yeah sure they're here to protect humanity, but more in a "deities protecting the primitives" sense, like what the Asgardians were originally doing. Not really caring about human suffering or strife beyond that highly specific sphere.

Clertar
2021-08-20, 01:13 AM
Yeah sure they're here to protect humanity, but more in a "deities protecting the primitives" sense, like what the Asgardians were originally doing. Not really caring about human suffering or strife beyond that highly specific sphere.

More than that. In the comics, at least, they’re more like primordial eldritch androids rather than alien “gods” like the Asgardians. They were programmed to do certain things regardless of their will (eg. they’re forced to protect celestials).
And that’s besides the amnesia plot in Gaiman’s run, which they might do or not here.

lowfyr
2021-08-20, 04:55 AM
Can't wait for it.
The only critic I have is that I would have liked to see the Black Knight in it. But I can wait two months more^^
And as usual the explanation about why they never showed up will be more detailed in the movie.
I prefer it this way than showing the highlights as other movies do.

M1982
2021-08-20, 06:12 AM
It also raises the sticky question of whether any of them were Snapped. Will probably be answered with "they're too powerful to be snapped"

Androgeus
2021-08-20, 07:21 AM
Just on the "Where were the Eternal in Infinity War" question. I feel it would be better if they just leant on the fact that Infinity War takes place over less than 24 hours and by the time they realised what was going on, they had no idea where the Avengers had taken Vision.

Wookieetank
2021-08-20, 09:11 AM
Just on the "Where were the Eternal in Infinity War" question. I feel it would be better if they just leant on the fact that Infinity War takes place over less than 24 hours and by the time they realised what was going on, they had no idea where the Avengers had taken Vision.

The earth's also a large place, so unless one of the Eternal's is omniscient, they're going to have to find out things the way the rest of us do.

Palanan
2021-08-20, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by M1982
Will probably be answered with "they're too powerful to be snapped"

Is there any evidence that an individual can be too powerful to be Snapped?

Wanda is arguably the most powerful of the Avengers, and probably second only to Captain Marvel in the MCU, and she was dusted like all the others.

Originally Posted by Wookieetank
The earth's also a large place, so unless one of the Eternal's is omniscient, they're going to have to find out things the way the rest of us do.

It’s a good point, but it also raises the question of why these super-duper cosmic protectors of Earth have to watch the evening news before they’re aware of a threat.

I’m guessing they have some sort of Spidey-sense where deviants are concerned, but if so then we need to know why it apparently can’t pick up Power Stones.

Wintermoot
2021-08-20, 09:39 AM

If only Ikaris hadn't lost the Eternals access to the Avengers group text chain by posting all those racist memes.

Psyren
2021-08-20, 09:59 AM
More than that. In the comics, at least, they’re more like primordial eldritch androids rather than alien “gods” like the Asgardians. They were programmed to do certain things regardless of their will (eg. they’re forced to protect celestials).
And that’s besides the amnesia plot in Gaiman’s run, which they might do or not here.

Excellent point, and Ikaris' ominous "by who??" seems to indicate they're not going to react well to realizing this.

Will probably be answered with "they're too powerful to be snapped"

Wanda is arguably the most powerful of the Avengers, and probably second only to Captain Marvel in the MCU, and she was dusted like all the others.

If they weren't, I'd be more inclined to believe it's because they might not count as "life" by Thanos' definition for the purposes of his Wish, if they are closer to being constructs in this version as Clertar is alluding to.

Even if they had though - neither the Avengers nor the Black Order are Deviants, so by all accounts they'd have been unable to interfere regardless.

It’s a good point, but it also raises the question of why these super-duper cosmic protectors of Earth have to watch the evening news before they’re aware of a threat.

I’m guessing they have some sort of Spidey-sense where deviants are concerned, but if so then we need to know why it apparently can’t pick up Power Stones.

Why would it? The Power Stone has nothing to do with Deviants. The last one to use it before Guardians appears to have been a Celestial (Eson), not a deviant.

Ramza00
2021-08-20, 11:04 AM
So with the Eternals cleaning up Deviants all the time, they must be the natural enemy of all that is Loki :smalltongue:

Psyren
2021-08-20, 11:11 AM
So with the Eternals cleaning up Deviants all the time, they must be the natural enemy of all that is Loki :smalltongue:

Deviants =/= Variants :smalltongue:

Ramza00
2021-08-20, 11:15 AM
Deviants =/= Variants :smalltongue:

And this eternal guy he did not fall into the sea? That was his son who missed his dad and thus went looking for him with a flying tech device he was inexperienced with?

Psyren
2021-08-20, 11:20 AM
And this eternal guy he did not fall into the sea? That was his son who missed his dad and thus went looking for him with a flying tech device he was inexperienced with?

I'm completely lost.

Ramza00
2021-08-20, 11:37 AM
I'm completely lost.

This is where the main eternals character gets his name, from a sad story in 1986 with Eternals vol 2.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Icarus_(Earth-616)

So … What If?

Kareeah_Indaga
2021-08-20, 04:27 PM

I don't know about too powerful, but I think the Eternals in the comics had some machine that resurrected them on the rare occasion they're actually killed. Dunno if they're going to bring that into the MCU though, and actually if they didn't meet up for centuries prior to the start of the movie it probably doesn't matter. Although apparently checking in on each other when half of everything got wiped out of existence wasn't on the todo list??? :smallconfused:

Yeah they've had spaceship-level tech for at least 7,000 years, they should have at least been able to pick up the giant flying donuts entering Earth's atmosphere when the Black Order came to Earth.

Clertar
2021-08-20, 05:20 PM
Yeah they've had spaceship-level tech for at least 7,000 years, they should have at least been able to pick up the giant flying donuts entering Earth's atmosphere when the Black Order came to Earth.

It has been pointed out before that the Eternals have a theme going. "Where were the eternals when Thanos arrived?"... Well, where was God when bad things happen(ed) to humanity?

Psyren
2021-08-20, 08:55 PM

There might be a movie of some kind that will explain this. One easy explanation would be the amnesia/memory gap thing.

Ramza00
2021-08-20, 11:13 PM
Why didn’t they park the spaceship on top of Thanos? It is not interference, it is Free Parking! :smalltongue:

Palanan
2021-08-20, 11:30 PM

But the flying donuts didn’t loiter, they just picked up a few passengers and left.

Clearly it was interstellar Uber. Nothing to worry about. :smalltongue:

Wookieetank
2021-08-23, 09:05 AM
Why didn’t they park the spaceship on top of Thanos? It is not interference, it is Free Parking! :smalltongue:

First go round Thanos was on Earth all of mins, so detecting him may have happened, but not being able to get there in time to do anything makes sense. The 2nd time however, he was around long enough for Captain Marvel to show up from where ever in the galaxy she was, so them not showing up then is gonna need some sort of explanation, particularly since the unsnappining has occurred at that point as well.

Wintermoot
2021-08-23, 09:59 AM
First go round Thanos was on Earth all of mins, so detecting him may have happened, but not being able to get there in time to do anything makes sense. The 2nd time however, he was around long enough for Captain Marvel to show up from where ever in the galaxy she was, so them not showing up then is gonna need some sort of explanation, particularly since the unsnappining has occurred at that point as well.

Because at the exact same time the Avengers were fighting Thanos in Africa, the Immortal Tyrannus and his underearth legions of lost Romans and Lava-men erupted in South America where he had unearthed an ancient Incan dynamo that, if he managed to build to charge, would've destroyed the earth. So the Eternals, Agents of Shield and Defenders were there dealing with that.

Duh. It's like you don't even pay attention.

Psyren
2021-08-23, 11:41 AM
Agents of who? Never heard of them :smalltongue:

Wintermoot
2021-08-23, 11:46 AM
Agents of who? Never heard of them :smalltongue:

yeah, well you should've seen the battle between the Inhumans, Runaways, Cloak and Dagger and Helstrom on the Moon against the Red Ghost and his Super-apes also at the same time.

Just so many world ending catastrophes to be dealt with.

Ramza00
2021-08-23, 12:40 PM

Strange uses the time stone, plus the gateways, and astral projection to tell the invisible helicarriers to be at this location, near wakanda, at this date, since Vision is going to be there for days getting his surgery done, and a big purple man is going to show up and when he does crush him by sitting on top of him with the hellicarrier.

Likewise the same logic applies with the eternals. 7000 year old spacecraft, it sits.

Eldan
2021-08-23, 03:23 PM
yeah, well you should've seen the battle between the Inhumans, Runaways, Cloak and Dagger and Helstrom on the Moon against the Red Ghost and his Super-apes also at the same time.

Just so many world ending catastrophes to be dealt with.

Was that the same timeline where Legion was fighting the version of Mephisto that was retroactively erased from Wandavision?

Wintermoot
2021-08-23, 03:28 PM
Was that the same timeline where Legion was fighting the version of Mephisto that was retroactively erased from Wandavision?

Yes, along with the aged crew from Mutant X and the 70s spiderman.

Cen
2021-08-23, 07:12 PM
Ok. I saw the trailer.
I may be one of the few people that know of and really like comics with Eternals (Sersi's Proctor Saga was first avenger comic I read).
Yes. they are immortal, and the all could survive the Snap because when one body is destroyed they transport their conciousness to another one, under arctica (think Connor from Detroit:Become Human).

In te trailer they say that they don't intervene unless there is a Deviant involved.
Cool, logical.
But Thanos is a deviant in comics.
So yeah... makes no sense.

Wintermoot
2021-08-23, 07:17 PM
Ok. I saw the trailer.
I may be one of the few people that know of and really like comics with Eternals (Sersi's Proctor Saga was first avenger comic I read).
Yes. they are immortal, and the all could survive the Snap because when one body is destroyed they transport their conciousness to another one, under arctica (think Connor from Detroit:Become Human).

In te trailer they say that they don't intervene unless there is a Deviant involved.
Cool, logical.
But Thanos is a deviant in comics.
So yeah... makes no sense.

Thanos is an ETERNAL in the comics. Just one born looking like a Deviant. In the movies he doesn't appear to be either, just an alien from the planet Titan.